Lichaj at Villa: released and looking for a new club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couldnt they keep it at a 1 month loan and extend given everyone on the team remains healthy?

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grayson doesnt want to get in the short term loans with Lichaj again and then not have him (potentially) for the playoffs. He has said previously he would be interested if it was a full-season loan.

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breaking News: Aston Villa have confirmed full-back Luke Young is holding talks regarding a move to Queens Park Rangers. More on www.skysports.com shortly.

I am guessing this would be a good thing for Eric's PT

4. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not, because if they're talking to QPR about Young, it would likely suggest they are poised to get Hutton from Spurs.

5. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luke Young is in talks with QPR, so if that happens, Eric would be the top natural RB left at the club. There is speculation that this move clears the way for McLeish to go after his former Rangers/Scotland player Alan Hutton. Beye seems to be completely out of the picture and I'm sure they would love to sell him.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would know better than I but I have heard rumblings that Lerner is pulling back on spending. I have no idea what Young will sell for and what Hutton will cost but does that look likely to happen?

7. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is more about the wages than the fee for Lerner. Young and Hutton are probably making something similar, around 40k a week. Lerner is basically operating with a salary cap to prepare for the financial fair play rules. They have recouped plenty of cash from sales this summer but their wage bill is still close to or over what they can presumably comfortably operate at.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true then maybe they wont bring Hutton in. Thanks for the info!

9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If young is sold, I imagine Villa will stick with Cueller, Beye, Lichaj, or Herd at RB.

EDIT: Just read from McLeish that when Young gets sold, Villa will sign another player. Now that could be another RB or another CM.

10. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always chuckle a bit when I read statements from those in charge at Villa talking about efforts to cut the wage bill in order to prepare for the financial fair play rules. I want to ask them if they realize the rules only apply to teams playing in European competition. Which is something Villa likely won't have to worry about anytime in the near future given the quality of the current squad...

Frankly, I suspect that Lerner is just using the fair play rules as cover for a desire to drastically cut spending.

11. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Watch for Lichaj starting this weekend.

12. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Herd is starting at RB. Lichaj didn't even make the bench.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neg rep for getting hopes up.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am shocked to see herd starting over beye and lichaj. Herd is a make shift RB while those two are actaul RBs. I just don't get it.

15. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew the news was bad when I saw no gameday thread. Didn't make the bench after scoring mid week. Did Eric make too many ginger jokes in practice or something?

16. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Amazing how Lichaj has managed to slip down the ranks for no apparent reason. What a nightmare if he can't get back to Leeds soon.

17. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the guy needs to high-tail it out of town. The manager clearly doesn't rate him.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get that loan done immediately. Come on

19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Herd who played RB today for Villa looked very good in that spot. Lichaj has competition.

20. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what its worth to those of you panicking I'm pretty sure Eric is still considered the 2nd choice left back although I was suprised to see Herd get the call this morning. Villa looks to be in the process of offloading some of their youngsters (Hogg sold to Watford, Weimann loaned to Watford).

Herd has been around for a few years now and I'm fairly certain that they wanted to give him a game to see whether he's worth keeping around, loaning out or selling as he hasn't gotten many first team opportunities. I expect that Eric is viewed as a known quantity relative to some of their other youngsters and I fully expect him to get some playing time this season.

For anybody wondering about our fullback depth this is what we have:
    RB: Lichaj, Cuellar (CB), Herd, Beye (CB)
    LB: Warnock, Lichaj, Clark (CB) , Baker, Herd

Herd is a bit of a wild card as apparently he literally can play anywhere on the field and still doesn't really have a set position for the first team, though I was impressed with him today, I think Eric offers a little bit more going forward.

21. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa look to be adding Alan Hutton which should free up Eric for a loan move.

If Leeds can get Lichaj back and also add QPR defender Clint Hill it would really help to shore up the back four.

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also seem to be talking to Guy Demel in case the Hutton deal doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be any room for Lichaj in the Villa line up this season.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news:

Aston Villa defender Eric Lichaj could miss as much as four months' time after a Tuesday evening exam showed a labral tear in his hip, MLSsoccer.com has learned.

A source explained that the US fullback had carried the injury since making his season debut with the winner in a Carling Cup victory over Hereford United, but an initial check left the club thinking it was simply a standard knock.

After experiencing pain in Monday's reserves tilt, Lichaj was taken back for a closer inspection, which revealed the hip socket cartilage tear.

Meanwhile, MLSsoccer.com has learned from an English source that former loan employers Leeds United were planning to make a transfer offer for Lichaj before the injury diagnosis. Though immaterial at this point, it can be noted that Aston Villa had snubbed all previous approaches made for the 22-year-old American this summer.

24. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&amp;G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez. Well at least he seemed to be a part of Villa's plans.....

Still a huge bummer though. Now we know why he wasn't called in for the friendlies.