Libertarian Fail

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't listen to podcasts. Can't get into them.

luftmensch repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I am going to be a spoilsport and say that I don't see anything particularly appropriate, ironic, or amusing about Rand Paul catching the virus. That thing sucks.

Chris M., xtomx, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah, it's totally random. Just like many other medical conditions we should all be covered for.

6. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I agree! I assume you're referring to the virus. :unsure:

luftmensch and dapip repped this.
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Karma is not random, and irony is pretty much the point to it.

If it is real, of course.

(Pun accepted, but not intentional...)

Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the ONE SENATOR who stopped that measure from last week for a few days.

luftmensch, Auriaprottu, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK I confess it's ironic. But I am pretending otherwise.

xtomx and superdave repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    $8 billion wont even keep the airlines afloat

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone.

But since that's not possible and it has to happen to someone, it might as well happen to some of the most vile pricks who actually have a hand in influencing things. You know, the people who could do things to make life better for the majority of us, but have deliberately chosen not to.

If it's going to happen to someone, it should happen to the deniers who have been claiming it to be a Chinese/Democratic hoax, only there to make the president look bad.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Getting sick from a hoax has to be a kick in the ass

dapip, Auriaprottu, Chris M. and 2 others repped this.
  13. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I know that we shouldn't wish a horrible disease on anyone, and I'm all in favor of maintaining human decency and holding ourselves to a higher standard. But it's hard to feel a great deal of sympathy for people who were willing to endanger many others in order to advance their political or economic interests. As you sow, so shall you reap, etc.

Maybe everybody should be allowed one "cheat victim" - to pick one person we're allowed to be openly happy about if they get the disease. I'd probably save mine for either Alex Jones or Rupert Murdoch.

taylor and luftmensch repped this.
  14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Harvey Weinstein tested positive.

roby, Chris M. and xtomx repped this.
  15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just one? That's a tough choice, with so many deserving options. All the people above, many of the most prominent "Evangelical Leaders," most Republican politicians and of course, Little Lyin' Man himself.

Of course, his minions would make him a martyr and want to erect a statue of him as if he was a Confederate General (hey, at least those guys actually fought in a war), so it might be better if he just gets really, really sick for s long-ass time and suffers every minute of it.

16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing about Rand Paul. We knew that people can carry this virus without showing symptoms, and infect other people. This has been known to us for weeks. We also know that it mostly affects older people - young people will share the virus with their elderly relatives and then the elderly relatives get pneumonia and maybe need a ventilator and if the ventilators are all taken up already, they die.

Without sufficient testing, the best way to be sure you're not infecting other people is to practice social distancing. We know all of this stuff - we've known it for weeks, based on what happened in China and South Korea and Italy. So I have left the house once in the last ten days, and businesses are suffering, etc. So that we don't infect the old people in our lives.

But not Rand Paul. The rules don't apply to him. Social distancing is for losers, Rand ********ing Paul is going to go to the gym and swim in the pool and who cares if he's spewing out viruses?

And the thing is, he's not in a high risk group, but a bunch of his co-workers are. It's not Rand Paul getting the disease that will cause a problem, it's 86-year-old retired crypt keeper Chuck Grassley or 86-year-old walking skeleton Dianne Feinstein who are the ones who are likely to get the disease. This is why I posted the ages of Senators in the other thread. Rand Paul was putting them at risk with his irresponsible behavior.

And if an old Senator gets the disease, so what, they have great health care, they'll probably be fine, right? The problem is limited medical resources. If 85-year-old warmed up corpse Jim Inhofe needs a ventilator while the hospitals are overwhelmed, does he automatically get one, because he's a United States Senator? Who doesn't get that ventilator and dies so that Jim Inhofe can live to do more insider trading at the next crisis? Or does the Senate keep a stash of unused ventilators just in case one of them needs it, and in that case, can we get those out to DC area hospitals so they can save the lives of non-Senators?

This is what Rand Paul should get criticized for. I'll save my thoughts and prayers for the innocent people who are going to get this thing and might not survive, and for their families who are going to miss them, and not for Rand ********ing Paul.

sitruc, diablodelsol, KCFutbol and 9 others repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    His behavior was indeed a metaphor for libertarianism, for those inclined to take a critical view. Until he decided to test himself, that is.

sitruc, dapip, Auriaprottu and 2 others repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better to get sick from a hoax than a prostitute hatchet.
    There's no limit on prayer.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Duke should revoke that shithead's medical degree.

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He'll use the fact that he's not board certified as an excuse.

And Laettner is nowhere near the most obnoxious Dookie now. :thumbsup:

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay Heaps?

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Richard Nixon. :(

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    For wut?

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Sure. And I raise you another Jay

Bilas-2.jpg

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN! I SHOULD HAVE ********ING KNOWN!

russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.