Liberal Biased Networks: The Guilty

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by IntheNet, Jul 11, 2005.

1. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define "topic liberal".

:confused:

2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Focus on topic, liberals

3. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well come on now whats positive about Bush? hardley anything, you can allways watch Fox (the most watched news channel in america) to keep you happy :)

4. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Come on you liberals, ITN needs his daily self-esteem injection.

5. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay.

For starters, all three of those networks hardly ever ran anything postive about Clinton.

Also, there isn't anything postive to report about Bush - everything he's done has sucked and been bad for the country, and he's been big time liar and has proven he's only out to fatten the his wallet and the wallets of his financial backers.

Next, you want right wing propaganda - Fox news will fit that bill for you.

Next, talk radio is dominated by conservatives.

Next, many radio and TV stations are owned and controlled by conservative interests, such as Clear Channel (who banned the Dixie Chicks for criticising Bush).

Next, most major newspaper edtiors have endorsed Republican candidates. This was true to through the Clinton years.

Next, most media outlets follow the interests of their corporate advertisers, which favor Reeps over dems.

Next, most media outlets are owned by major conservative interests.

Finally, why do you keep an Avatar of a man who condones child molestation?

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look you. Either learn to play along, or get out.

;)

7. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    ABC, NBC, and CBS are NOT liberals. So if it's a bias, it's rightwing bias, or corporation bias.

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

Uh, as much as I do not like ITN, the major networks do have a leftward slant. Doesn't necessarily mean Bush doesn't deserve all the negative news he's been getting. In fact, I can't for the life of me understand why this hasn't happened sooner.

Anyway back on topic :

"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. Twould be a pity to damage yours."

[​IMG]

What is something Phil Mickelson will never hear in his lifetime

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mahwige.

Mahwige is what bwings us twogether twoday

That Bwessed awangement

That Dweam within...a dweam

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! News to me! Were you part of the "earth is flat" and "Jane Fonda is a closet conservative" science fiction crowd in college?

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means.

12. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All hail me. :)

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

14. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Every ship except your four fastest, that is. . .

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you don't think that a president leading a country (and several others) into a messy unnecessary phony war with no end in sight, ranks slighly higher on the "bad news" scale than getting a blow job from an intern?

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I smell a coup.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be very careful alluding to deity speedy... Dr. Wanky might accuse you of being deficient in your beliefs!

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

your friendly neighborhood FYP :)

19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And the answer is because he's never had better head since.

20. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Alright, the dude wants to talk about liberal bias in media and all that so... let's break this down and look at it from a different angle.

The first question that I'm think of is "what incentive do the networks have to contain a liberal bias?".

They are owned by billionaires and huge parents corporations -- many of which benefit from Bush's policies. The obvious example is war and NBC's parent company GE. GE is a huge government contractor for war materials and stands to gain quite a bit by a war. In terms of Bush's economic policies I would think just about every billionaire would be all about paying less taxes while accepting greater amounts of corporate welfare then ever before. So clearly it would seem there is little economic gain for a news group to broadcast from a heavily liberal perspective.

The other thing is that some conservatives will generally insist (usually as naseum) that they represent the majority viewpoint in the United States (unless of course they are insisting the most persecuted people since the jews). Major networks do market research and such... all five of them or whatever are not going to tailor their programs to cater to a minority viewpoint -- that's not how you increase viewership.

---

really, what I see a lot in these criticisms is people being upset when they hear a viewpoint that contradicts or even challenges their own viewpoint. If you wanna hear only one viewpoint you can either plug your ears when something else comes up or consider re-locating to a country in which alternative viewpoints are supressed. I head Russia is nice and oppressive this time of year.

simply: I can't take people seriously when people accuse the incredibly wealthy owners of media of having an extreme liberal slant. They're slanted towards making tons of money which usually doesn't involve things like income-redistribution, free health care, union rights or an end to war.

21. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let them eat cake!

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Right. Even if they truly wanted to lean left, the big advertisers (think automobile, telecommunication and pharmaceuticals) sure won't be happy with media outlets playing Robin Hood.

One might remember Sumner Redstone saying last year that his personal beliefs lean to wards Kerry's, but as president of Viacom, he had to vote for Bush.

23. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect. Your FYP is more accurate. :)

24. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Ooops, sorry, need clarification here. Are you quoting from the movie or referring to ITN's use of the word "liberal"?

Oh wait, I get it, cleverly working both angles. Well played.