Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire. (Obama's promise to televise health care negotiations)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steamer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    By threatening a fillibuster. Any other questions?

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    More desperation from the right wing fringe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pO1oJPps1I&"]YouTube- Jack Cafferty Rips Obama on Failed Openness Pledge: 'Just Another Lie Told for Political Expediency'[/ame]

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Those were concessions necessary to get moderate Democrats onboard.

4. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. Every concession made has been made, not to republicans but to the Liebermans and Nelsons. This is an-all Democrat affair. GOP can threaten to fillibuster all they want, but they can't. All it will take is one moderate Democrat to hear from his/her constituents that they'll be out of a job come next January if they vote for this and it's dead.

5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Look, I check Becker-Posner blog every Monday, and I check the National Review Corner several times per day. I gave up on Breitbart's crappy, advertisement-heavy, slow-to-load, cumbersome websites when I decided that I wasn't particularly interested in Saturday Night Live has-been Victoria Jackson's screeds about how Obama isn't a US citizen.

Breitbart is a charmless, short-tempered moron. His investigative journalism makes Michael Moore look like the paragon of objectivity and class, and his websites function well only if you believe that web design peaked in 1998.

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire.

the Danes are the happiest people outside of a McDonalds in McKeesport, PA

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    That's bullshit. He won, so he gets to set the agenda. On the stimulus, health care and other issues, the administration has sought out potential republicans to work with and then got slapped down. In addition to Snow, I know that Grassley was wooed and there were others.

If any, and I mean ANY republican legitimately approached the Obama people and said, "I want to work with you on this" the door is open. See, Lindsey Graham on cap and trade.

Of course, when a republican even sniffs collaboration with Obama, he or she will get pummeled by people like those on here crying over not being included in the conversation.

GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham’s decision to work with Senate Democratic leaders on cap-and-trade legislation has sparked a mutiny back home, culminating in an scathing rebuke from the Republican Party in one of the most populous counties in the South Carolina.

In a harshly-worded resolution approved Monday, the Charleston County Republican Party condemned Graham for undermining “Republican leadership and party solidarity for his own benefit” and tarnishing “the ideals of freedom, rule of law, and fiscal conservatism.”

The resolution recited a litany of grievances against Graham beyond his position on climate change legislation.

“Graham has shown a condescending attitude toward his constituents by calling them ‘bigots’ when they opposed his stance on amnesty for illegal aliens,” read one portion of the resolution.

Conservative discontent with Graham at home has been bubbling in recent years. His support for immigration reform and the Troubled Asset Relief Program, as well as his work with the Obama administration on Guantanamo Bay and his reputation as a bipartisan dealmaker, has rubbed many South Carolina Republicans the wrong way. In 2008, Graham won just 67 percent in the GOP primary—an uninspired performance for an incumbent.

Several top Republicans described passage of the anti-Graham resolution as a cathartic experience.

“The cap-and-trade issue pushed it over the edge for our members,” said Charleston County GOP Chair Lin Bennett. “He’s very condescending. He tells us things like he is trying to be relevant and that he has to do this give-and-take thing. We all understand that, but we also want him to be true to us.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1109/29476.html

Save the crocodile tears for someone more naive.

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AZAWKfbmvE"]YouTube- Rep. Michele Bachmann at FRC "Prayercast"[/ame]

Yeah, these are the people we want to include in a debate on health care...

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    No crocodile tears, just wishes that the Donks would take ownership for the bill they are crafting.

10. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    What part of 60/40 do you not understand? Democrats created this bill, and they destroyed it to appease democrats...not republicans.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Conservatives, actually.

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It's bullshit poll, because they don't give people the option of being "Very Moderate".

[​IMG]

You whack job Tea Partierers are no where NEAR the majority of this nation. Never will, thank god.

Those numbers are basically true over the course of history here. Most people DO identify with basic conservative principles..principles that have nothing to do with political conservatives and tea partiers.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Oh, I think they absolutely have. This is a fully democratic party bill. If people like it, they win. If they don't, they lose.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    LOL! WTF is "very moderate". Is that like "ultra average"? ;)

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Watch out for those wacko extreme moderate fanatic zealots.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Nothing, but not having two categories for moderates ruins the poll.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, the real problem with the poll is that it's about labels, not issues. If, instead, you got a conservative pollster with integrity and a liberal pollster with integrity together, and had them make up an issue poll, you'd find that the nation is moderate with a slight left twist. appoo, you mentioned the clown who demanded that the gvt. keep its hands off Medicare. There's alot of that kind of thinking...or should I say "thinking."
    Mike, this is a talking point masquerading as substance. Congressmen don't read all of the bills. What you're saying about this bill is true of just about every single bill, even the "biggies," that Congress passes.

Besides, to reiterate asf's point about process instead of substance...do you think any Republicans would have voted the other way if they had had another 24 hours to look at it? Of course not. So who cares.

The GOPs have a strategy here...destroy the building and scoop up the wreckage. It may work, it may not. But let's not pretend they're aim isn't to burn the building down.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so you say.

the substance is that it would have been practically impossible to be broadly informed about the bill. with sweeping legislation with an enormous fiscal impact, not knowing what the thumbs up/down issues are, except that it's Health Care Reform, is as politicized as it could be.

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I would love to see this poll.

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    They were the concessions necessary because of the republican fillibuster threats.

22. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I was responding to someone who said how can the republicans be accused a sabotaging a process they weren't a part of. Of course they were a part of it. They exercised great influence due to the filibuster threat.

23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, I guess that's why I've never seen this stuff - not a C-Span watcher. I don't even know what channel it's on. Not surprising the viewer hits are in the double digits.

24. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Do you know how many democrats are in the senate?

Do you know how many votes are needed to kill a filibuster?

25. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    On this I have to agree with you. We live in a conservative leaning country.