LFC / Arsenal (R) thoughts...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by melwood, Oct 4, 2003.

1. melwood

melwood New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    We Lost Again

Hi Guys,

What do you think of tonite's game???

I seriously think we should be looking at a new defender to help in the centre. Don't know...but I think Hypia has lost it. Or maybe he is missing Henchoz.

But we really have to slip out of this slump real quick.

Gotta to start winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOD NOTE--Don't put results in subject lines, please...

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    new defender? how many more millions does Houllier need to spend? He's spent plenty and still not getting results. Arsenal was beyond shorthanded in a squad that was thinner than others before they got hit with these suspensions and injuries.

3. Snackbar

Snackbar New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Alachua, FL
    Then the answer is to let Houllier go? He's spent enough and the players aren't performing. What is the solution. I'm not saying, just asking?

4. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Am i the only one who isnt concerned...

weve got better each year, and continue to improve... ok.. last year was a setback, but when you look at the players last year such as baros, el hadj etc they where taking time to settle.. micheal and steven gerrard where both fiddling around physically building themselves up.. the central defence was different almost every week.. Kirkland got injured and dudeck was doing a grobelaar

El Hadj for instance is a completely different player this year to last season.. and looks settled in the side...

But simply, just look at the players we're missing...

Henchoz - ok.. so maybe hypia is also having a rough time as well, but in the end the relationship the two of them have has been built up over years.. you cant replace that too easily... Biscan has done well, but it wilol take a long time for them to build up an understanding... add to that finnan at RB, and Riise, and you have a back four who are still getting to know each other...

Hamman - maybe not missed directly, but there is no doubting that Gerrard is a lot more effective when Didi is playing.. Salif helped that today along gerrard to go forward more, and he got so much space that maybe he should have done a little better...

Baros - was slow starting last season, but there is no doubt that if he wasnt injured he would be starting now.. What a difference that would make up front... which of course would allow.....

Kewell - to slip back either into a wide role, or behind the two strikers.. again making him much more effective... was owen playing up front on his own today, or was harry playing in a position where alhtough good, wasnt a benefit to the team...

Thats three key injuries that have a massive massive impact on the way the team plays...

Add to that Danny Murphy, Jamie Carragher, and youve got five absolutely critical players out injured and with the exception of maybe danny (and possible jamie once steve finnans settled) that you would expect to start pretty much every game...

Thats half a team!

For me today there was nothing between liverpool and arsenal, and they are expected to challenge...
    but come january-march when the team is
    kirkland
    finnan,hyppia,henchoz,riise
    doef,gerrard,hamman,kewell
    baros,owen

with carragher,murphy,heskey,smicer and biscan waiting to come on, suddenly youve got a squad strong enough to beat anyone in the premiership, and arguably most teams in europe..

people will no doubt start crying for holliers head again soon.. but what they think any other manager would do i dont know...

as for owen and gerrard leaving.... its not going to happen for a while... both are set to sign new contracts... and lets remember one thing...

even steven is only 23 years old...

look at the age of some of the players, and imaging what they will be capable of in four or five seasons (and thats looking further ahead than is realistic...)

5. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    and anyway.. we are liverpool fans...

is moaning really our style...

I just sit back with a smug grin knowing that one day we will be the best team in england, and the best team in europe.. AGAIN

it is our destiny to be so... so let everyone critise and laugh all they like.....

he who laughs last and all that... :)

6. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    hell yea, we are all liverpool through and through.

i am confident that we can still make something of this year. remember, anything can happen in this game (remember last years fall from glory??) and we still have the majority of the season ahead of us. So we have a relatively mediocre, what, we are 3-3-2. That merely means we still have 30 games ahead of us. 30. That is alot of games. So much can happen in 30 games.

When we get back our regular starters, such as baros and henchoz, we will be a team to be reckoned with. With a solid defence and a storming offence, we can and will win games.

People have lately started complaining about le tallec this and le tallec that... well the kid is only 19. Give him some time and he will shine.

Thats why I wasn't too pissed off at today's loss. I was too excited thinking about the future that Liverpool have. Granted, today we had the lead. Granted we should have won. But to those calling for GH's head... well he is our head coach. Until he gets fired by the board, it should be our duty to support him just as we support the team. For all his failings, some of GH's signings have turned out for the better. Remember when Diouf was the next big flop? Well right now he is one of our best players. Can you imagine what this team will be like in the future, like in 4-5 months? We will be dominant. And this would perhaps be not possible without GH.

I am a relative newbie when it comes to supporting the Reds. I have only been following them in the EPL for the last two years or so. So, if anyone, I should be the first to turn tail and hide behind "winning" teams such as the Mancs and Arse. But I am truly confident that we will once again win the EPL. Maybe not this year. But for the next two, three years, assuming Owen and Gerrard sign new contracts, we will win. And that is that.

7. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    you lot are relaxed yet your gaffer was saying this was a make-or-break game... great effort.. just yooou lot do not 'ave the finishing touch to put it in the back of the net.... pires goal was pure class...

cheers

can i ave me stereo back please?? lol

phishy

8. Thomas18

Thomas18 New Member

Dominant in 4 or 5 months! waht good is that? We'll be so far behind the title will out of our hands for yet 'another year' and it'll just be the same old story next year.

And heres a good one for you...
    When was the last time Liverpool were out of the title race by the first week of October ?

Sorry, but it just aint good enough!

9. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    So when we win the eufa cup, the fa cup again this year and make a champions league spot shall we all be miserable...

we will win the premiership, mayby not today, maybe not tommorow, but soon...

But it is about patience... yep.. its been a long time since weve won the title, but we will win it...

It was a long time between Heysel and Beating Barcelona to make the UEFA cup final, but it was worth the wait...

I just figure that some things are worth waiting for...

But unlike man utd and arsenal fans who whinge, moan and make excuses when they dont win anything, a liverpol fan can just sit quietly, with a smug grin knowing that our time will come.. :)

10. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    well we will get our revenge on pires when we kick arsenals arses in the uefa cup... (thats after weve dealt with united in the previous round)

cos thats where they are both headed... :)

dave
    huge soft spot for celtic, but a rangers fan for there next two european games.. :)

11. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'm liking the way the team is coming along compared to last year, yes, but I find it alarming that (with the exception of the treble season), Houllier has yet to develop a team that can consistently remain strong in defense and attacking at the same time (meaning it can play attractive flowing football like yesterday's first half and still not make stupid mistakes in the back four). And I'm still sticking by the opinion that Owen is gone at the end of this year if we don't finish in the top three.

12. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    It's good enough for me. It has to be. I am a Liverpool fan.

Whats more, it's all we can look forward too. And to say that we are totally out of the epl race is rubbish. We still have a chance. Until we mathematically are out of the championship spot, we will still have a chance.

But I understand what you are saying, 655321. I also do not believe Owen will be back if we have another shat season. But if he wants to go, we can't stop him, right?

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the game but reports have it that we attacked well and should have scored three in the first half and again failed to seal the deal. All those who wanted open attacking football should not complain. Lots of key players missing, but after all results are what the game is played for.

The team needs to gain confidence but you can really see what it means to only have one third of the 3H's at the back. Add the loss of Carra nad you can tell what the problem is.

Finally, someone other than Michael and harry has got to step up and score a goal!

14. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Agreed. I think when Hamann comes back, we'll see Gerrard come up more and have some chances. It's vital.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    No, and I can't blame him. He has loyally stuck at Anfield through some disappointing season and all we can do is wish him luck if he wants to go. I just hope he goes abroad, not to another Premiership club.

I imagine Champion's League play would be bare minimum requirement for Mikey to stay.

16. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    reading to day we are trialing some 27 yr old french striker whos been release by PSG or somebody cos they cant afford to pay him, so he can sign straight away as he is a free agent not a transfer.. cant remember the name though... could probably find out but cant be bothered

17. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    it's over

koppites, there are just too many injuries to key players to make a challange this year. With Baros, and Didi out, that is enough to make a serious dent in a squad that is not as deep as some others.

There is still a fighting chance to play in EU, but a Premiership title is probably out of the cards, as it would require Arsenal, ManU AND Chelea to all crumble, while Liverpool were having the run of the century. Very long odds at best.

18. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: it's over

While not terribly incisive, this is your best post in this forum. Not much to disagree with here. But as Lawrence Peter Berra once philosophized "It ain't over until it's over"

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: it's over

Indeed. A title challenge seems unlikely, but there's a reason why they play all those matches instead of simply awarding the trophy in September.

20. Wildman262

Wildman262 New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: it's over

Truer words have not been spoken, but there is a huge challenge ahead. Over the last 4 years it has taken a minimum of 80 points to win the Premiership. Liverpool now sits with 11 points from 8 games, meaning they will need somewhere near 69-70 points from the remaining 30 games(probably more). That is a blistering pace of 2.3 points per game. Even if that were achieved, they will also need to rely on Arsenal, Manu and Chelsea to collapse well off their current form.

Of course they are still in the running until they are mathmatically eliminated, but they are pushing a huge boulder up the mountain.

21. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the LFC.tv broadcast server:

Dear Liverpool supporter,

Arsenal were more clinical than us on Saturday and that is why they won the game. We had more chances than them and their goalkeeper had to make more saves than ours did, but we didn't get what we deserved.

We could have had the game finished off at half time but then we had a 20 minute blip in the second half when they played well and caused us problems. Of course, it was a wonderful goal which won it for them.

We have to keep going and keep believing in what we are doing. I'm happy with the performance but very disappointed with the result.

We had a blip for about 20 minutes in the second half which cost us. Jerzy didn't have a lot of shots to save but they were very clinical and showed why they are top of the Premiership. We couldn't get an equaliser.

I'm not making excuses but Danny Murphy would have been a good help for us because when Vladimir Smicer went off injured the fluidity of our game was affected, and it was too much for young Le Tallec at just 19 to change the game. We have to keep going now and if we keep playing that well we will win more than we lose.

Regards,

Gerard Houllier
    Liverpool Manager

22. mbrossetti

mbrossetti New Member

Mar 5, 2001
    NY, NY
    Probably would be Laurent Leroy if true. He's eh. Seen him play twice in person. Was never that impressive to me. But it was only twice. Figure others may know more than me.

23. mightyredone

mightyredone New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: it's over

I think we may now now need an over shoulder boulder holder.

24. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    Good to see the fans getting behind the club for the whole season, isn't it?