Lewis: Leeds v. Plymouth 2/1/2006 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Triggerfish, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's getting forward enough in the last few minutes, sometimes he's been the furthest player upfield.

2. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Penalty on Miller!! Hulse to take.

Goal top right corner!! Cresswell upset he couldn't take it.

3. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalty to Leeds, Miller fouled.

Hulse is set to take, I wanted Eddie to take it, but Hulse blasts it into the top corner. 3-0.

4. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Yeah it would have been nice if they gave it to him for the goal as he has been the main reason why they had the first 2 goals...oh well.

5. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're definately trying to get him a goal though. Gary Kelly just went for an ambitous ball to the far side where Eddie was, when there were easier options for him.

6. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

True. Wouldn't it be great if Leeds somehow took over Sheff U in the 2nd half? We'd have 3 more Yanks in the Premiership.

7. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Full time 3-0

Leeds 8pts behind Sheff U with the same amount of games. Sheff U playing Myhill and Hull tommorrow.

8. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were queueing up in the box right there, Eddie almost had yet another assist as he put in Hulse. Definately our MOTM, but we are a little bit biased aren't we. ;)

Finished 3-0.

9. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

Well Lewis is MOTM officially!! Richard Cresswell gives Eddie the bottle of bubbly. Cresswell asked about being upset about not being able to take the penalty and he said "It's past. It's one of those things. Strikers always want the ball but he did well to put it in the top right corner."

Watching the replay of the goals. Lewis' cross on the second goal actually went in front of FOUR!!! defenders...amazing.

10. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Eddie got MOTM, still waiting, he's just been interviewed.

Yes, confirmed, Eddie was MOTM. :)

11. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    You're a little slow! haha

12. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Sky post game announcer saying that Lewis typified Leeds' performance. Can't wait for him and Beas to overlap each other on the left in June.

13. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Another interesting nugget gleamed from the Sky commentators is that if Leeds do indeed get to the playoffs, Eddie Lewis won't be available to play for them.

It behooves Leeds to make a serious run at Sheffield Utd.

14. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think this is true. FIFA originally announced that no WC players would be allowed to stay with their clubs after a certain date, but they later said an exception would be made for the Championship playoffs.

Many thanks to all for the PBP! Great game from Eddie.

15. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was awaiting "official" confirmation of the award. ;)

16. dbiesecker

dbiesecker Member

Jul 1, 2002
    CO

Hmm. I think the only exception being allowed is for the FA Cup Final. I haven't heard anything about playoffs.

17. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA have reversed themselves and said players WOULD be allowed to play in the Championship playoffs. The other exception is for the UEFA Champions League Final.

Let's hope Leeds go up automatically and Eddie gets a few weeks vacation before reporting to camp.

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that only the Champions League Final and the FA Cup final were the only matches where players would be allowed to play.

Gazing over the preliminary US schedule heading into the World Cup, it doesn't look like any CCC playoff matches overlap with any prep matches for the US.

The Championship Final match is on Sunday, May 21st.

The US is tentatively scheduled to play on May 23rd, 26th and 28th. Lewis will probably have to sit out the match on the 23rd due to travel but should be available for the other matches, provided Leeds get that far of course.

It also doesn't look like Eddie will miss either of the matches in March in Germany.

19. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more slight clarification, the FA Cup final has been brought forward a week to May 13th (and format modified so that any UEFA cups teams still alive will not have to play replays in the fifth or sixth rounds and Champs League teams will have no sixth round replays) so the FIFA would not have applied to it in anyway, only the UEFA Champions League Final and the Championship playoffs are impacted as far as I can tell.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4316423.stm

Where did you get those dates for the USA games? They sound reasonable given the schedule we played in 2002 before the WC but I hadn't seen those dates etched anywhere yet.

20. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
  21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The first 'assist' was actually underwhelming to me. I guess he meant to sling it in there, although from that position (tons of bodies in front of goal), you have to hit a hard, low shot- and hope for a deflected goal. That's the 'odds' play. If Eddie was shooting, he hit a weak, mishit shot that was not even on frame.

I guess there is possibility that he meant to cross in the box- but even then, it was at a weird height. And you don't lob it, you hit it hard in that case.

But it all worked out.

The 2nd assist was pure determination, and nice pace to place ball in channel correctly. A good play, but not great. One you would expect from veteran w/talent. Nice hard-charging effort.