Lewis/Feilhaber Derby v. Boro 12/15 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ossieend, Dec 14, 2007.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I thought I typed that I agreed with the overall point... but I didnt...

but again, Benny hasnt proven it at 2 clubs so far... so when do we start questioning his ability?

2. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ability looks pretty good to me. He's got some pretty neat skills.

I don't think his decision making is all that great. In the games I've seen, I saw the idea behind most of his passes, and when they connected it looked good, but too often they were really ambitious. A less favorable description of the failed ambitious pass is, turnover.

So when it comes time to question Benny, there's more than skill involved in my view. To me the issues could be a lack of skill, a lack of time with this team, an attitude problem, or a decision making issue?

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You certainly could question his ability at HSV, he got games there, they were watchable and his lack of experience was pretty obvious at times. As was his skill and potential. But lacking at least comparable minutes at Derby, and with even their practice sessions not open to vistitors, and given the obvious pecking order of Davies choices, I think it is hard to have any informed opinion. Clearly he is not a superstar of immediate, game changing ability. But just as clearly, Derby's current roster are not either. But Jewell has stemmed the bleeding a bit, is fighting valiantly to turn his squad into a team that can whitle knuckle a few 0-0 draws and I don't think Benny is ever first choice for that kind of gig.

There were more than one of us who thought this was an odd, if not awful, move from the jump. We were hooted at by a few Derby fans who couldn't imagine how playing for a team that was going to be in the Actual! E!P!L! could be anything but The Most Wonderful Move Ever!, even though Derby would be playing in EPL like the Texans were "fighting" at the Alamo - kneeling behind the biggest chunk of adobe they could find and trying to put off their lead and steel lobotomy for as along as possible.

So, sure, you can question Benny's ability. Especially his ability to chart a successful professional career. But Benny has shown he can play for at least moments at the U20s and elsewhere. That might have been the best he's got - he wouldn't be the first to flash in the pan - but without at least a couple games with meaningful minutes, it's just a big guessing game.

4. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Is it worth starting a thread for the Newcastle game or should we hang fire until we know the teams?

5. Hammerette 1

Hammerette 1 Member

May 24, 2007
    England
    Go for it, it will allow plenty of time for pre match Derby County bashing which seems to be the favourite past time on the YA board;)