Lew Wolff at Chamber Event Tomorrow

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by helmet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
  2. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back to work from the event. Overall good turnout in favor of the Quakes. Lots of blue in the seats. Thanks to SSV for setting up some of our attendance.

Some Key highlights I can recall, without taking direct notes:
    -Soccer was spoken to first, then baseball.
    -Mr Wolff recommitted his willingness to make it happen.
    -President of MLS was there, Wolff mentioned that they had met yesterday to discuss next steps.
    -He mentioned that it would make no sense for MLS to fix at 12 teams if other cities are still interested.
    -He said office will open soon in Sept.
    -Confessed his reluctance to go to a public vote, his qoute was funny " if some city had a cure for cancer, i am sure some people would vote against it"
    -He is aware of the SJ Fairgrounds and its potential as a site. He has had conversations had been with Fremont, Santa Clara, SJ, and even SF.
    -Professed his dislike of the city councils that are all talk and no action.
    -Told of the great time he had at the WC 06.
    -Pretty much said that the Giants were not giving up territorials rights.

Again take these comments as opinions and with a grain of salt. But overall, a very positive feeling about the whole thing moving forward.

3. MaraDoyle

MaraDoyle Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Casbah
    Thank you for the update.
    Was the event well covered by the press?

4. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Don Garber was there? This speech was more important than I thought.

Anybody disagree that this makes the Fairgrounds the frontrunner, after the concert hall was rejected last night?

Huh. I wonder where a stadium in San Francisco could possibly be located.

That pretty much rules out the downtown location for the A's stadium. But a soccer stadium there will require a public vote. Perhaps Wolff could develop housing on that site and use the proceeds to fund the stadium?

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant Ivan Gazidis. Isn't he the president? Garber is the Commish.

6. acreach

acreach New Member

Oct 25, 2001
  7. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision 14 was there, with its sports commentator

8. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Some more notes from the Lew Wolff talk:

I was surprised that Lew had never attended an Earthquakes game!

He described his option on the franchise as the "first and last" that MLS will ever offer on a franchise. Impression is MLS very much wants a franchise in San Jose.

The office to open in the Fairmont next month will be a combined Earthquakes/As office.

Mark Abbott, MLS president, was present and had been in meetings yesterday with Wolff planning the next steps for the future Earthquakes franchise.

He was familiar with the demographics of soccer the "9 million kids" who play organized soccer. Commented later about how this may be just the right time to get involved with professional soccer.

Asked what he needs to make the Earthquakes happen, he replied "a path to a venue" he indicated there was nothing else he needed. He didn't didn't want a bond issue or general funds money, and he didn't want to sit through a public vote (leading to the "cure for cancer" quote above).
    He already has an architect hired for the stadium.

He attended the World Cup with A's management. He was amazed at how much Billy Beane, etc. were into soccer. He was very impressed with the atmosphere and how much "the nationalities" supported their teams. But don't conclude that Wolff is a soccer guy, he couldn't even remember who the U.S. played in the game he attended (it was Italy, he thought it was Brazil). [An aside, I was also at that game, and it was an inspiring game, also maybe the best performance U.S. supporters have ever made for their team.]

The As are never going to move to San Jose, he would like to but he has exhausted every avenue to break the Giants geographic rights. "I can't tilt at this windmill any more." Funny quote, I may not have it exactly right, but he basically said "At my age, I may only get one more erection, and I want it to be a baseball stadium in Fremont!"

Mentioned talking to San Jose, Santa Clara, San Francisco and Fremont as sites for soccer stadium. I had the distinct impression he has NOT looked at the Fairgrounds as a site. He said several times his interest in San Jose as a developer involves downtown. In responding to a question he said the legal fight between the city and county over a concert hall "makes me ill".

Very little of the talk (<5 minutes) had to do with soccer, or even with baseball. Mostly it was about urban development, his view of San Jose, and how the city government can help the development process. But I did get the impression he is 100% committed to making a Earthquakes stadium happen.

9. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a wizard's fan going throught the contortions you went through, I hope for nothing but good news for San Jose, and you get your team and stadium.

If ever there is a group of fans deserving, it's your fans...... I'd love to see the renewed rivalry with the Galaxy and Chivas USA....... And a chance to get back at Landon!

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it seemed like more than just reluctance: if I recall correctly, he said something to the effect of not wanting to have to sit through a public vote (with a slight shake of the head).

After all the times I wrote here of the need to avoid the public vote if at all possible, it feels pretty cool to have that vindicated by Mr. W himself! :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone say "understatement"? :)

The concert hall rejection happened so recently and suddenly that I hope that all SSS parties involved (Earthquakes Soccer LLC, Soccer Silicon Valley, etc.) move fast on it.

-G

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure that Wolff hasn't been looking at the Fairgrounds site - he just probably wasn't aware (at least fully) of the sudden Fairgrounds Concert Hall turn of events less that 24 hours prior. But even if he isn't fully aware of that situation considering that his focus is still primarily on the A's, I wouldn't be surprised if Earthquakes Soccer, LLC (at this point, David Alioto and Ann Rodriguez) are.

And it seemed to me that Wolff's comment about the city's and county's concert hall fight making him ill was referring to his more general statement earlier about his dislike of city and county councils that spend more time talking and investigating (and in this case, suing each other) than actually progressing development.

-G

13. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Right now, the county is in a world of financial hurt, and the fairgrounds is one of the major sores they have. The county is in one of those "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situations. Something must be done with the fairgrounds property. There has been talk of moving the fair to the south county area in Gilroy, then developing the fairgrounds property. I think the assumption is that the county would take in a substantial amount of cash by doing that. However, I imagine that would be a one time influx of money, and anything that might turn into an ongoing money maker would have to interest the county supervisors. If they are not talking with Lew Wolff, they (the county supervisors) are far more stupid than I think.

14. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand this point. MLS has never intended to stop at 12 teams. We are going to have 13 next season. Is this what you meant to say?

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, hipityhop! :)

Here's to catching those San Jose Earthquakes - Kansas City Wizards games again in two years.

-G

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant to say 16 teams.

-G

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right that the County Supervisors are talking with Lew Wolff (or at least that they'll do so tomorrow).

But would moving the Fair to Gilroy actually help the Fair flourish? Would they have to combine it with the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival? :confused:

-G

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the Fairgrounds as the frontrunner, yet. I still think Lew wants downtown and will see how far he gets in that direction before pursuing other sites.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming that things continue running as they had been, this is probably true.

However, yesterday's Fairgrounds Concert Hall rejection may or may not have changed things - it'll be more apparent which after tomorrow's City Hall meeting.

The next week or two should be pretty interesting. :eek:

-G

20. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having the fair in Gilroy might make it more attractive. It could certainly bring back a more
    rural flavor to it. I'd rather see the fair move to Morgan Hill though - heat up the South County rivalry a bit!

BTW the fair was only three days this year.

Here's a calendar of what's happening at the fairgrounds over the rest of the year. -
    http://www.thefair.org/eventsList.php
    a lot of unimportant little things, unless of course it's your thing.

There so much space there, it would be nice if cheap hall space could be incorporated
    into any of the future plans.

I'd rather be at Dirdron though. I like trains, restaurants and bars.

21. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how does he get the downtown site without a vote? The land is big money and he's not
    willing to pay it. In the current political climate,how can the city council can give it to him without a public vote?

I love to see the Dirdron site happen, but I don't see how that's possible, especially with Wolff seeming so reluctant to take this to a vote.

22. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jay Hipps has posted a summary on the SSV blog, available now. Many quotes.
    http://blog.soccersiliconvalley.com/
    He will post audio from the meeting after he has time to get get it on the site.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FUAEG, he only said that he wants to avoid a vote, not that he's unwilling to pay for the land. He might be willing to buy the land outright. He might be willing to pay cash for some of the land and swap other parcels for some of it.

But yeah, on the whole, the fairgrounds site makes a ton of sense in many ways.

The only downside I can see to the fairgrouds site is that it's even further away from the peninsula and the City than Spartan was. Thus, it makes Quakes matches more of a commute for fans in the north and east bay, but only by a little bit.

The space for recreational fields and training facilities is excellent. And the ability of the county supes to swing a deal with Wolff that avoids a vote at all is also excellent.

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    GO WOLFF!!
    GO SSV!!
    fuaeg!
    fumls!

- Mark

24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jay Hipps is amazing - if you go to the blog, he ALREADY has the audio on the site - plus you can choose to hear the whole talk, or just an edited one specific to our issues.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kudos to Jay Hipps! His recap of this morning's chamber of commerce event on the SSV blog is, indeed, the definitive account.