Level of football compared to what you do in training.

Discussion in 'Player' started by garethchelsea, Aug 8, 2008.

1. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just wondered what you do in your training sessions for your teams to see how different it is from different levels.

Put How long you train for?
    How many days a week?
    Length of time your sessions take?
    and
    What you do in them? eg. 20 min warm up 20 mins hard exercise etc etc...

Say what level on the footbal pyramid you are on or say wether you are like state team, county league, pro, semi pro, sunday league or whatever.

2. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Well since I'm currently without a clubside, I'll just cover how it is for High School.

I'm on Varsity (highest level of high school play)

We don't practice yearround because they assume we all train with our clubs anyways. We start mid November and go till the end of March. We train 5 days(except game days) a week and it usually consists of the following:
    -15min warm up [ A little more than a quarter mile sprint, stretches, passing around ect]
    -1hr of various drills [ anything from small sided matches, to shooting drills, passing drills ect]
    -30-45min of scrimidges and game like situation

As far as high school goes the training isn't as direct. The HS coaches usually just run through basic type training and more adv conditioning (we condition weekely not daily). They really do have high expectations, skill wise from us as soon as we make the team. We are the district champions and that just has to do a lot with the region the HS is in, and having a lot of good players. In my opinion, HS is really lackadasical and fun more relax type of training (as long as we stay champs that is).

3. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thats a really good reply and well done for getting into varsity then. 5-a-week are you like semi-pro or pro then?

4. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Well here they wouldn't really classify it as either. I mean, no pay or anything. Its intercollegite, just with High School. That said, the level of play is still pretty high. Last year we had some team mates who graduate go play DI and DII soccer for some Universities (those are the two highest divisions for uni). A few years ago before I was on a team, we had a kid who now has played semi-pro in France, and for a Jamacian club for awhile.

So the level of play is pretty decent

5. clarke_19_rangers

clarke_19_rangers New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Bedlington
    Put How long you train for? 2 1/2 hours
    How many days a week? mondays,wednesdays and fridays
    Length of time your sessions take? 2 1/2 hours?
    What you do in them?:
    warmup:
    25 mins of shuttles
    5 mins of your own stretches
    then we usually do:
    For 10 mins we pass a ball between groups of 3/4
    then we get spit up into two teams of 10 and one team defends and each time a goal is scored we swap keepers then you swap after 5 mins
    we repeat this twice
    then one team of ten goes and does defending drill which i dont do so i really dont know what they do there( i think they just give one side ball to attack the other)
    and the other goes and does a drill were you take on the manager/coach and try to score( you have to at least one trick/skill)
    we do this for another 30 mins
    we practise set peices for 20 mins then we play a match for 20 mins each way.
    i am semi-pro

6. COPA17

COPA17 New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I play on a club team that's currently ranked #2 in the nation (although rankings really don't mean anything outside of the #1 spot) as well as varsity for my high school. My training sessions for my club team and school team vary, but my sessions by myself go something like this:

How many days a week? 4 days in the off-season (summer), depends on the volume of games/practices during season
    Length of time your sessions take? approximately 2 hrs, give or take
    What you do in them?
    -
    go to the track, warm-up with a slow 800m, stretch
    -run 2 miles where i sprint the straight-aways and jog the curves
    -juggle to 300 six times
    3 sets of the following:
    -96 lbs+bar bench press (10 reps)
    -25 lbs dumbbell curl (15 reps)
    -105 elbow-to-knee crunches
    -chin-ups (two sets of 8 reps, one set of 9 reps)
    then i do some one-touch off the wall in my basement for 6 min, and after that i go outside and shoot around and mess with the ball for a bit sometimes

a lil OT, but suggestions for improvement are welcome

7. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I'm sorry but that's a crap practice.

8. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Pretty good stuff for individual training, sounds like you are well driven. As long as those are the things you do on your own time plus training with your own team that sounds really good. Best of luck and keep up the hard work it will pay off. You must be very serious and have high aspirations in soccer, just be careful not to work to hard and burn yourself out.

9. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    speaking of individual training, everyone should check out nikesoccer.com 's bootcamp program if they haven't already!

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Professional teams generally train for at least two hours a day, six days a week. In Latin America and Spain, the vast majority of it is technique. Practices always start out with a monkey in the middle, then some warm-up jogs before a few all-out sprints. Afterwards some short passes, then long passing, some volleys, trapping, heading, etc. before the keep-away passing and tactical drills start. There will usually be a small-field game before a full-field scrimmage at the very end, before some cool down running, stetching, and abdominal work. In the wintertime the warming up/warming down will take longer in order to avoid injury.

There is usually one or two days devoted mainly to fitness, the day before matches is light, and the day after will be light or very physical(depending on which players played and didn´t.) In English-speaking countries most of the technical work takes a back seat to running and tactics training.

11. HectorMachuca

HectorMachuca New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Santa Rosa
    Club Soccer
    3 Days a Week
    20 minute warm-up(jogging, stretching)
    30 minutes of possession(light and game situation)
    10 minutes of fitness(sprints)
    30 minutes of shooting or set pieces

High School Varsity
    5 Days a Week(unless we have a game)
    20 minutes warm-up drills
    10 minutes of jogging
    30 minutes of shooting
    30 minute scrimmage

12. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    whats amazing to me is the time you guys train per week without getting injured, i literally have to rest for a week if I play a regular game. ;o

13. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to my world. 30+ is a bitch.