Let's win some trophies this year

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MM66, May 21, 2021.

1. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Haven't had a lot of free time to post about the team lately, but this team is good with the chance to be excellent as the new players settle into the side. This is probably the deepest team the Revs have ever had. That's going to enable them to compete hard for the U.S. Open Cup and even the Supporters' Shield. I know Seattle came out of the gate playing like their hair is on fire, but if the Revs unlock their firepower they can be in that hunt for the league's best overall record.

I want this team thinking big and hanging some banners. It's been 13 years since their last trophy (SuperLiga in 2008). That's too long. I'm buying in on this edition's potential. Get out there and collect some hardware.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This is the week for them to bust out.

3. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Note: the USOC is cancelled this year. Going to be hard to win a trophy there

edcrocker and MM66 repped this.
  4. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Let's just raid the USSF offices and claim it as our own.

Anto'nio, Revs in 2010, Sachem07 and 2 others repped this.
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been postponed, but not officially cancelled (yet).

2021 US Open Cup postponed leaving tournament’s 107th edition in doubt

MM66 and edcrocker repped this.
  6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just want to note the Revs are now five points off the front of the Eastern Conference and tied with the Sounders for the Shield (though Seattle has a game in hand). They're not just in the race, they're at the front of the pack.

Sachem07 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  8. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Just wanted to note that Seattle was only able to turn that game in hand into ONE POINT in a scoreless draw with Austin last night.

Diego and Kelyn both looked good at times.

MM66 repped this.
  9. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Revs now own the best record in MLS. My head is swimming. I want to say this is the deepest into a season the Revs have ever been able to make this claim, but even if it's not it's rarified air for this club. Like, I'm taking a three-points-or-bust mentality toward each game and I'm watching the out of town scores. What is this?

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16 games into the season, we were 3rd in 2005. And that was the closest team to winning the Shield.

Crooked, MM66, Feldspar and 1 other person repped this.
  11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Some of the wins haven't been that convincing, but they're wins. One thing that is different about this team is that we are seriously dangerous on the attack. Other than against incompetent Miami, we haven't really busted out - but it feels like we are a threat to do just that on any given matchday.

A Casual Fan and MM66 repped this.
  12. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2005 was easily the one year where we've been in the Shield chase for the majority of the season. They started the year 7-0-4. By the end of July, they were 10-3-6, tied with Chicago for first place in the east and the most points in the league at 36. Winners of three of five league games in August, the Revs raised their record to 13-5-6. With 45 points, they had a four-point cushion in first place of the Eastern Conference and a one-point lead in the race for the Shield. Then with six games to play, the Revs had a 15-5-6 record with 51 points. They had a seven-point lead over D.C. United for first place in the conference. They had a one-point lead in the Supporters’ Shield chase.

The next few games determined the race. Against the MetroStars at Giants Stadium on September 17, the Revs lost a bizarre one 5-4 and ended up two points behind San Jose. Against Columbus on September 21, a 1-1 draw. September 24 at home vs. Metros, a 1-0 victory that clinched a spot in the 2005 MLS Cup playoffs. Then the Revs hosted San Jose at Gillette on October 1, their first match against the Earthquakes since opening day. The 16-6-7 Revolution were two points behind the 16-4-9 Quakes. They weren't wearing orange yet, but in a sign of heartbreaks to come, Brian Ching and Dwayne DeRosario scored second half goals to give the Earthquakes a 2-0 win. This gave the Quakes a five point lead in the race for the Shield with two games to play, effectively ending the race. The Revs ended the year with a draw and a win to finish 17-7-8 with 59 points, five points back of SJ.

There have been other years where the Shield was within reach, in theory at least. In 2007 after winning the Open Cup, with three league games to play, New England had the second-most points in the league and were just four points shy of Shield-leading D.C. United. But they went 0-2-1 in the final 3 games. After winning the SuperLiga in 2008, the Revs were in the Open Cup semifinals (taking on DC with the winner guaranteed to face a lower level side in the final as the other semi was USL sides Charleston and Seattle), they had the best record in the league at 10-4-3 with 33 points, and they hadn't yet played Joe Public in the Champions League. But the wheels fell off, they pissed away a chance at back to back Open Cups, they embarrassed themselves in the Champions League, Twellman's career trajectory was forever changed, and they limped to an early playoff exit.

Even in 2015, after a September 16 win over the New York Red Bulls, the Revs were 13-9-7 with 46 points. They had a one-point lead in first place of the Eastern Conference and were only two points behind the Western Conference leading Vancouver Whitecaps in the Supporters’ Shield race. But the Revs stumbled in their last five, going 1-3-1 and tumbling to fifth in the east ahead of losing to DC in the playoffs (Jermaine's final Revs game with his epic meltdown at the end of the game).

It is a long season and a lot of drama is still to come. But the Revs have rarely been Shield contenders so this is an exciting time to be a fan of the team.

Crooked, MM66, Doublecard and 5 others repped this.
  13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I know plenty will disagree, but in retrospect I don't think that in 2008 they pissed away a chance or embarrassed themselves. That was a classic case of a team that lacked depth and didn't use what bench they had and totally burned out in midsummer. We tend to think that everything comes down to effort, but with that team it seems apparent to me they were totally drained and, if anything, trying harder (i.e., trying to do too much) made things worse.

14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, gonna have to respectfully disagree, at least on the language usage - pissing away and embarrassing are exactly the words to describe some of the events that occurred in the post-Superliga 2008 season. They played a second choice lineup in the 08 Open Cup Semi as Steve Nicol chose to rest the majority of his top players while most of D.C.’s regulars played. It was their second game after the SuperLiga final and D.C. was a struggling side that was 8-9-1 at that point on the season. A lower level team awaited in the final. The title was there for the taking, despite their limitations as a side. They took a pass instead. And the home game against Joe Public was humiliating, as they were missing a ton of players, finished the game with 9 guys on the field and got pummeled by a CONCACAF minnow at home. Yes, that 2008 team lacked depth and that is a big contributing factor to the slide - maybe they should have kept Pat Noonan when he came back to the league midseason instead of trading his rights to the Crew. Their bench was small and it was full of players that weren't good enough. That was the biggest weakness of the roster in the 2000s glory years and it killed them in 2008.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    A coach has to take the measure of his squad and decide when players need to be rested. Nicol rested key guys in the USOC and took a lot of heat for it, but the subsequent games did in fact show that his key players were worn out.

16. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in total agreement there. They were. Problem was not enough support for the key players because the bench was useless beyond 1 to 3 guys. The organization deserved criticism for all of that because they didn't get more help to an aging core that had seen several key performers walk for nothing. In any case, the nice thing about the current regime is it appears to have created a team with a good starting 11 and depth in almost every position. It is a welcome change.

MM66 and Steve_R repped this.
  17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll 2nd this and go even further - they've created a complete player development program, with a consistent philosophy, from the Academy straight through to the first team.

This probably isn't too much different that most successful MLS franchises, but not only are we not behind the curve, we're probably, with our new training center and revamped coaching/administration, among the best now.

Revs In First :) and Sachem07 repped this.
  18. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not sure if this belongs in here or the off topic thread, but man, having been a fly on the wall for a lot of bad years on this forum, it's so refreshing to visit these boards now. Sure there's still a few KADs that might be a little bit punch drunk, but you can tell that shit lookin tasty to a LOT of the NNN's this board has been accustomed to.

Everything seems to be coming together at the right times. Kaptoum was looking like a non factor, and he's come back and contributed. Arnor was looking like he might not be the real deal, then he hangs two on Miami with an assist on either side.

If we can get Caicedo healthy, confident, and in form, maybe we don't see any moves made, if that's not the case, I'd like to see us go and sign a CDM that can be that guy.

Defensive depth is at a bit of a premium right now, with Kessler and Turner away with the US, and Bell going down last game. Having watched Verfurth and Cayette in a few Revito's games, I'm fairly confident in their abilities to deputize for the first team. Wondering if we see one of them get the call up Saturday.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't quite go that far. If you're including the Academy up to the first team, we're not in the top half dozen (maybe even not in the Top 10).

But yes, it's good to see us taking steps in the right direction.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think with it looking more and more likely that we'll be losing a couple of our stars this offseason, it really seems like this is a year we have to go all in.

Arena lately has been tamping down talk of adding someone before the international deadline - I'm hoping that's just a mis-direction. I agree with the 'I like what we've got', but there are clearly some areas that could be improved - and I feel we've been a bit lucky in doing as well as we have while having some pretty glaring issues (IMO).

Crooked and A Casual Fan repped this.
  21. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Revs are one point from clinching a tie for the Shield and two from winning it outright. They've got three to play. This is actually happening, kids. They're also only four away from setting the league record for most points in a single season.

Of the 12 MLS originals (I count Chicago and Miami even though they started a two years later), only the Revs and Rapids haven't won the Shield. Even the defunct Mutiny and Fusion managed to win in their short existences. And the Revs were the only one without either a Shield or MLS Cup.

26 years and we're about to get some serious hardware. They might be walking onto the field for the next home game as the regular season champion of the league. This has been one hell of a ride.

A Casual Fan, Crooked, rkupp and 5 others repped this.
  22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been so much heartbreak in the past, that I've tried not to get over-excited about hardware. But now they are so close I can taste it.

Come on you Revs, let's lock this up in Orlando on Sunday!

MM66, Feldspar and sean'o repped this.
  23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be locked up Saturday night when Seattle hosts SKC. But regardless, I'm flying down to Orlando and hoping for a party.

MM66, BrianLBI, asctester and 4 others repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Would be amazing to have this (SS, and the points-record) locked in the cabinet, regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

A Casual Fan, MM66, BERich and 2 others repped this.
  25. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Exactly. Honestly, this means more to me because it's been months in the making with moment after moment after moment building up to it. They've given us a golden season. It's what you dream about as a fan of this sport.

Obviously I want them to cap it off with three wins in the playoffs and then we can claim the double, but it's gravy. We've already got the meat and potatoes (and vegetables and appetizers and bread and wine)