Lets Talk Music Part 2

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by NattyBo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
  2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any mix with the B-52's "Mesapotamia" has to rule.

I don't know how to feel about Diplo. I've seen him spin a couple times, and his sets are totally fun but I always end up with the sense that the whole thing is a little exploitive. Like when I saw him dj in LA he spun "Straight Outta Compton" and I was looking around at all these people who paid $20 to be in the club all head banging, and I was thinking, "no way this scene happens south of the I-10."

3. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'm a huge Diplo fan. I like the fact that he likes to go around the world to immerse himself into the local music scenes of different countries and later brings a lot of that stuff back to the states. He incorporates it into his mix tapes or creates beats inspired by it. It's great that hip hop and the stuff Diplo makes lends itself to all that variety. His mixes that go from 80's stuff to electro to hip hop to baile funk to reggaeton to dancehall to grime to indie, ext..... are sick. The Hollertronix stuff he used to do was also incredible and is imitated non stop nowadays.

It's also cool that his name helps give those different styles a lot exposure like it has happened with baile funk from Brazil and Cumbia Villera from Argentina.

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diplo is an awesome DJ and producer, no doubt. I guess I caught myself in a little self scene hating. :(

5. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    With work being completely dead right now and it being a beautiful Friday here, I decided to make a new Muxtape of 12 songs with "Summer" in the title. It's a suitable mix for loafing around with a mojito in your hand. I'll be testing the mojito part shortly. Enjoy. :)

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    What no Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff?

7. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    How could I forget? All right Dr., Nick Drake gets the axe (mainly because the sound quality is absolute crap). Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince it is! :p

8. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great mix. Hot Fun in the Summertime is such a bad ass song, and so utterly perfect for lounging on a hot summer day.

BTW, Monty, I feel you with the self scene hating. Pitchfork seems to be the Mecca for the trying-too-hard hipster. I'm almost glad I didn't get to see Public Enemy's performance live, as seeing an audience full of people like this could have really left me shell shocked.

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College + sunshine in Chicago + drugs + not eating enough = a yi yi.

Nice muxtape, chrisc. One of the SingStar PS2 games has Summertime by Fresh Prince. What a great song to sing karaoke to.

Ahh old blue eyes... have I mentioned this is a good muxtape and that I still have to be at work til 7pm? It's criminal.

Greddy, if you had made it out to Wicker Park back in June you would have seen us attempt Hot Fun in the Summertime. It was awesome/terrible.

If I made a part 2...
    Isley Brothers - Summer Breeze
    Jane's Addiction - Summertime Rolls (good old junior high)
    Of Montreal - Oslo In The Summertime
    Beach Boys - All Summer Long

10. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, really, really, wish I could have made it. I was actually planning on going with some friends after we helped another friend move into his new apartment(same neighborhood, Wicker Park), but we found out when we got there that he had done almost no "pre-packing". Anyway, I wanted to stop by regardless, but we lost track of time while there.

So that's two times you've come to Chicago and I've blown you off. I seriously owe you some beer and/or pizza. Unfortunately, Chicago is pretty week when it comes to fried chicken.

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't sleep on Harold's Chicken!!! It's pretty damn good.

No worries on the fail. I told Lucho for awhile I'd kick it with him in San Diego, and then he shows up the month I moved to Orange County, in the middle of one of my first week's at work. I really wanted to rally and make it down there but to no avail.

Tonight is Bloc Party with Does It Offend You, Yeah? at the Mayan in Los Angeles. I'm sunburnt and have half a mind to dodge going to a show where people will be all up on my tender shoulders all night.

13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Off to see Gipsy Kings tonight with the family...
    really looking forward to it.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! Never seen them, and wished I had. When I was at school they played in the Greek Theatre a couple times, apparently those were some of the biggest blowout parties of blowout parties as every international student at Cal would go and each of them would sneak in booze, particularly canteens of wine.

I love that kind of guitar playing, flamenco?

15. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gispy Kings rock. Have fun.

16. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Finally got a chance to listen to Beck's new album in it's entirety. While it's definitely not his best album, it's still far better than most of the stuff that's out there right now.

If you just want to listen to one song,someone uploaded all 10 songs on youtube.

17. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Enjoy...:)

18. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sigur Ros is pretty goddamned amazing, even if I don't understand a single lyric

19. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Looks like Muxtape is down due to a "problem with the RIAA". I planned on wasting the rest of my day at work on making a new tape. Hope it's not permanent. Man the RIAA are such bastards.

20. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I'm willing to bet it's permanent. It was only a matter of time before the RIAA shut them down.

The really sad news is that Pandora may be shutting down soon. The RIAA is the reason I went through the trouble of teaching my mother how to use torrents.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could never get Muxtape to work on my MacBook, at least not in making them. Still, that's petty bullshit from the RIAA. About as snotty as... when they were all up in arms over people making actual mix tapes way back in the day.

*pauses for nostalgic reflections on old mix tapes back in Os's day*

Anyone here ever get into Beachwood Sparks, the psychedelic alt.country band that was on Sub Pop? Best known for their druggy country version of Sade's "By Your Side." They've reunited for three shows down here in So Cal this weekend.

22. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I saw em once. Not as good live as their records, which I quite like. If you're into the Byrds/Flying Burrito Brothers, they're worth getting. Orrr, if you're interested, I could "share for evaluation purposes" if you don't already have them.

I do like The Tyde better though. They "borrow" quite a bit from Felt, one of my favorites.

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tyde's playing those shows also. I'm excited.

Felt, now there's an old band I've always meant to, um, "evaluate."

24. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Actually, someone's done the work for me, bless their soul :)

10 albums and 10 singles in 10 years. Quite a novel concept.

Their sound changes a bit at Let The Snakes... as guitarist Maurice Deebank left. Ahh, just read the blog. Ignite The Seven Cannons features "Primitive Painters" with Liz Fraser of The Cocteau Twins. Brilliant stuff.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Can't wait till the traditional record label system collapses. It's already in a consistent downward spiral since the whole Napster fiasco. Nothing would make me happier than seeing all the major labels go bankrupt.