Lets Talk Music Part 2

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by NattyBo, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    Ah c'mon now. Nirvana are good but Radiohead are revolutionary! My favourites of all time (along with Tom Waits, Beatles, Elliot Smith, . . . .etc, etc.

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you guys heard any of Scarlet Johansson's album of Tom Waits' covers?

*cringe*

3. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I haven't heard any of it yet, but if this is any indication:

[youtube]4paPtRuIw2Y[/youtube]

I may need to pass. ;)

At least she's picking quality material to cover. She could've been doing the Tori Amos Songbook or something tragic like that.

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least if it were Tori Amos, I wouldn't get sucked into caring. Not that I have anything against Tori Amos, but if Scarlet's fans were on Tori's YouTube videos saying that Scarlet does a better job than the original, I wouldn't have an opinion either way and wouldn't care.

Now Mr Waits, much like Bob Dylan, has been covered many times and some of those covers are just as good as the original. A few might arguably be better (Blind Boys of Alabama doing "Way Down In The Hole" for Season 1 of The Wire comes to mind). But Scarlet... no. NO. She simply can't sing. And she brings nothing interesting to the table.

Granted, this was my reaction to her cover of "Falling Down". She sounds like they had to run effects on her voice, bury it in the mix, combine it with David Bowie, and it still sucks. The video it crap too. It's like an "intimate" peek into her life, and there's nothing interesting about it either. It doesn't even suck in an interesting way. And the chorus... "when your falling down" is delivered with all the emotion of a poached salmon by her.

Sorry for the long rant, I just can't believe some of these youtube comments, attacking Tom Waits and saying she improved his song. I could probably be fine with comments simply saying they prefer her version, but to call his pants and hers mustard... does not compute.

And I just know I'll end up listening to the whole album, hoping to find one good cover. I must love misery.

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I just listened to more previews on imeem.com it's worse than i imagined. Good God, it's worse than B-Ball's Best Kept Secret.

6. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    I hear you Monty. When it comes to youtube, I like to get in, watch and get out. The minute I get sucked into the comments it's over. They make Gio fanboys look like Noam Chomsky.

I just checked it out. I can just picture her in the studio singing off a lyric sheet and the folks in the control room biting their lips. Awful stuff. They should let Tracey Thorn have a crack at those tracks. They sound tailor made for someone like her. Someone with actual talent.

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice!!

Here's my paltry one song contribution:

Marlena Shaw - California Soul

This is the song from that Dockers commercial. It's also been sampled relentlessly, notably by DJ Shadow for "Midnight in a Perfect World", was written by Ashford/Simpson, originally done by the 5th dimension, and was the last song that Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell released as a single before her untimely death at 24 from a brain tumor.

9. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    It leaked a while back. Excellent album.

10. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, just making sure everyone here has it

11. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    maybe in subconscious preperation for my move to Sweden in August, I've been listening to Lykke Li. Anyone know her? Videos are kinda cool but a little bit..off, but I love the music. Favorite song is Dance Dance Dance.

12. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Since work is dead today and My Bloody Valentine are back together I decided to upload a bunch of non-albums stuff for your 3 day weekend enjoyment. Included are:

Ecstasy & Wine
    Feed Me With Your Kiss
    The b-sides from Glider and Tremolo
    You Made Me Realise
    Peel Session 1988
    Amazing cover of Mapref from the Wire Tribute Album
    A couple of instrumentals from some rare 7" singles
    Incidental Peace from the Offbeat compilation.
    Sugar, which I believe was from some French promo single
    Amazing cover of We Have All The Time In The World from Peace Together

35 tracks. Enjoy!

13. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I still listen to Mando Diao and Hello Saferide (both your picks), so if it's anything like these two I'll check it out.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I've been meaning to get those Glider B-side for a while now. I'm going to see them twice in London and twice in Santa Monica, hopefully this will keep me deaf all the way through the presidential general election!!

But wait, where's the Andrew Weatherall 12" remix of "Soon"? ;)
    /big mbv geek

In other news, the laziest band in the world Sweetness, of which I am a member, has put together a little summer tour through the South and Midwest. If you are going to be around for any of these shows lemme know. I'll throw you in on the guestlist. I'm already hoping to meet up with malicia in austin so we can cry in our shots of rye. Greddy, we are coming to Wicker Park.

05/28 San Diego, CA. U-31. 9 PM. 3112 University Ave, 92115.

05/30 Lincoln, NE. Knickerbockers. 8 PM. 901 O St, 68508.

05/31 Chicago, IL. Pontiac Grill. 8 PM. 1531 N Damen Ave, 60622.

06/01 Cleveland, OH. Beachland Ballroom. 8 PM. 1571 Waterloo Rd, 44110.

06/03 Athens, GA. Flicker Theater. 8 PM. 263 Washington St, 30601.

06/04 New Orleans, LA. Checkpoint Charlie's. 8 PM. 501 Esplanade Ave, 70116.

06/05 Austin, TX. HeadHunters. 9 PM. 720 Red River St, 78701.

06/06 Albuquerque, NM. Burt's Tiki Lounge. 8 PM. 313 Gold Ave SW, 87102.

06/07 Tucson, AZ. Red Room. 8 PM. 100 E Congress St, 85701.

14. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Just found the Glider remix. Here is Soon.

On a related note, M83 play here tonight and Swervedriver is on Tuesday. It's a shoegazer weekend in Portland.

Monty, you need to do a PacNW tour one of these days.

15. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicely done.

I sure hope we do. We'll see how this tour does.

16. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who's going to be in the area, this place is steps away from the Damen Blue line stop. You don't even have to drive. :)

I'm going to put in an effort to make there. Looking forward to it.

17. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Listening to a lot of MF doom these days

18. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    2 songs I'm very fond of momentarily:
    Attack! Attack! Attack! by Ejectorseat
    &
    Don't Speak (I Came to Make a Bang) by Eagles of Death Metal <= don't be scared by the name :)
    Btw, what do you think of my 2 songs?

19. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    the last one is the one under the new Nike commercial right? I like it, mostly I think cause I really like that commercial.

20. PARAdoxx

PARAdoxx New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Yeah, it's that one. A nice song.

21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Jesus Christ, Diplo's remix of the Black Lips - Veni Vedi Vici is ********ing sick.

22. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm still officially banned from posting here until the end of June (finished dissertation, but have to defend it next week & revise some) BUT just wanted to say that I saw Mutant & his band play last night, fun fun & damn he's the hard-drinkin' type! j/k.

Nice to see a fella cule rockin' out onstage!

btw, Dr. Know, I snuck out to Chaos en Tejas fest to see the one and only Los Crudos reunion show a few weeks back. they were amazing.

23. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    They have one of those reunion shows practically every year :p. A few friends of mine saw them in Chicago a year ago or so and said they were great.

24. malicia

malicia New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a cold dark place
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought it was the only one they've played outside of Chicago.
    Either way, they were great....

Can't wait till I can go to more shows again...soon, very soon.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Have you heard this band from Chicago called No Slogan? Some friends of mine are recording a split 7' with them.

Anyway, album of the year so far:

Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances