Let's SUE Time Warner! (serious)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Legal Beagle, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Legal Beagle

Legal Beagle New Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Last night in Columbus, Ohio, Time Warner preempted MLS Shootout to show their college football ticket. This is clearly a breach of contract. They pocketed our subscription fees and then did not deliver the promised service.

Did this happen all across the country, as well? If it happened in Columbus, there must also be THOUSANDS of angry Time Warner subscribers everywhere else, also.

We really need to sue these devils --- file a class action in federal court --- not just to recover damages but to make a LOUD, ANNOYING, PUBLIC NUISANCE of ourselves so that in the future, large corporations will not step on soccer fans to cater to the football viewing majority.

Are there any attorneys among us? (I won't be licensed until November). Are there any like-minded Time Warner soccer fans out there?

Thanks.

2. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    You have no case. The service provider reserves the right to pre-empt games. You also do not defeat their Wall Street attorneys in federal court. The deck is stacked.

3. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Let's SUE Time Warner! (serious)

I'd still check the contract. Ther ehas to be some provision for refund in such cases of pre-emption.

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah or they just stop offering it at all like they almoast did this year.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your target is InDemand, not Time Warner. It happened to people who get the Shootout on Cox and AT&T as well.

6. smac09

smac09 New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    New York
    shoootout mess

I still haven't been able to get a sentient being from InDemand on the phone regarding this travesty. Has anyone else? I just want to hear someone actually SAY "Yes, we chose to ignore the fact that you paid $50 for this package, and yes, we will be showing college football in its place from here on out."

7. Legal Beagle

Legal Beagle New Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Re: Re: Let's SUE Time Warner! (serious)

Well you're obviously not an attorney, but thanks for playing. ;)

If Time Warner or InDemand disclaimed their obligation to televise soccer, after accepting extra subscription fees, such a clause would pretty clearly be unconscionable and void.

Wall Street attorneys lose plenty of cases in federal court.

The deck is not stacked when you're right.

8. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Re: Re: Re: Let's SUE Time Warner! (serious)

NYC attorney for 8 years, my friend. The courts have nothing to do with right or wrong. It's who you know and what the judge had for breakfast.

9. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > The deck is not stacked when you're right.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is one of the funniest things ever posted on BigSoccer.

10. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Agreed.

11. MadSirAlexxx

MadSirAlexxx Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Let's SUE Time Warner! (serious)

The MLS sight said that certain games wouldn't be shown on the InDemand package.

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I'm itchin' to sue someone, too - sign me up!

13. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Wait until you see your legal bill!

14. MetroDug

MetroDug Member

May 4, 1999
    New York, NY USA
    i'll be happy with a full $49 refund. My next call is to DirecTV.

15. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    What screen name does Johnny Cochrain post on here as?

16. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    All he has to do is use "The Chewbacca Defense" and we'd win!

17. Power

Power New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    San Juan, PR
    Please, post a link to submit feedback

Please, post a link to submit feedback. I have Adelphia and is the same problem. From out of nowhere no more MLS games.

18. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Somewhere INDemand has an office. Something in that office is likely to be flamable.

19. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Just need to go on record here that I neither encourage nor condone arson as a viable means to settling this particular dispute.

I didn't subscribe to the shootout package, but there've been a bunch of times I wish I had. After hearing about this bait and switch--which is exactly what this is--I'll never even consider buying it.

This kind of crap happens to soccer fans all the time. I'm entirely out of patience for civil actions. Time to get some decent hooligans over here to take matters into their own hands.

But first, let me go on record that I neither encourage nor condone vandalism as a viable means to settling this particular dispute.

-Jackie Childs

20. radiokvar

radiokvar New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    St. Louis, MO
    just a confirmation

same thing happened w/ games being dropped here in st louis w/ in demand on Charter communications digital cable...

21. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Well, not everyone's entirely disappointed about this.

My girlfriend is happy.

And, I still got my money's worth this year.

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And what defense is that?

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a big thread over in the Business & Media board about that for those of you who haven't seen it.

There's an email address for InDemand on there as well...though I have yet to get a response from them for my email.

btw, we could sue on a contingency basis.

24. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    No lawyer worth anything would take this on a contingency basis. Read your subscription agreements, what do those agreements say.

If one could get into discovery it would cost the other side a fortune. Although that is not a reflection ofmy opinion of the probability of such an action

25. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    Never seen South Park?

Anyways, it's something like "Chewbacca is a wookie, and he lives on the planet Endor (sp?), this does not make sense. If it doesn't make sense, you must acquit."