Let's look at next seasons roster.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by sch2383, Nov 20, 2004.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Right now our roster stands as (P-40, SI, and T-I indicated)

Forwards:
    Alecko Eskandarian
    Jaime Moreno S-I
    Jason Thompson P-40

Midfielders:
    Freddy Adu P-40
    Brian Carroll
    Christian Gomez S-I
    Joshua Gros
    Dema Kovalenko
    Nana Kuffour T-I/DISC
    Tim Lawson
    Ben Olsen
    Santino Quaranta
    Eliseo Quintanilla T-I

Defenders
    Bryan Namoff
    Mike Petke
    Brandon Prideaux
    David Stokes P-40

Goalkeepers
    Troy Perkins
    Nick Rimando

This is based on the assumption that Petke resigns and Gomez can stay.

This leaves us with 19 players on the roster, 9 short of the max. We also have room for 2 more SI's, have 2 allocations (assuming Nellie leaves), and 2 draft picks (2nd and 5th rounders, IIRC).

Lets start with the easiest position, our keepers. Obviosuly with rosters going to 28, we can (and should) pick up another one. I know there was a young keeper training with United last August, not sure of his name, but I would imagine he would be the one who stays on. (total players 20)

Next up defenders. We better use one of our alloctions for a central defender that can take Nellie's place. We really do miss having Ezra as he could play either in the center or on the right in our 3 man line, or come in and allow us to play a 4 man backline. I expect us to at least take a long look at Alex Yi (maybe we already have), I mean he can't be worse than Stokes. I would also expect us to use a draft pick here So let's figure another 3 defenders added to the team (total 23)

Midfielders: We really don't need to make any changes here, its the deepest part of our team. Carroll and Olsen are locked into their spots, with Lawson and Dema capable of filling in. Dema, Gros, and Q1 can each play either wing. Freddy, Gomez, and Q2 give us depth at that attacking mid spot, and Nana, well I'm not sure where his best spot would be. I expect that to be sorted out his play on the reserves, but from what little we did see of him, he could be on the wing or in the middle. I guess with the reserve system, another player or two could be brought in, but it is not needed. (roster goes up to 24)

Finally we come to the forwards. We obviously need depth up top, Gomez and Adu can fill in and Thompson should be able to contribute, but we still need depth. We do have an allocation in hand and while I don't think we should use it on a forward, I do think it can be used to help solve this problem...I think we should trade it to another team for a proven forward and a few picks in this year's draft. I doubt we could find a forward that could unseat Esky or Moreno so it would be a waste to use an allocation. We also need a bunch of young players, the kind you get through a draft, so I think this move would make sense (or I could be crazy). (assuming we add at least 2, roster goes up to 26)

While the core of our team is set for next season, there are a bunch of moves that need to be made to add those periphery players that turn a good team into a championship one. We can never underestimate the importence of depth in having a good team.

2. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I'm quite sure that Nowak has Q1 pencilled in as a forward.

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for some reason i keep thinking we wont have troy next season

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Fair enough, but like a lot of people, I think he will end up playing on the wings.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That may happen, but I don't think you remove him from the forward depth chart.

6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah ill have to agree with lowe on this one. hes a forward, although he may end up on the wings.

im willing to put 5 bucks on the odds that we have another "blockbuster trade" this off season. involving at least 3 dc players.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    OK, even if we consider Santino a forward we still need depth up top.

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure we do have a strong top,
    alecko got the first and last goals of the week for the 2004 season.

our forwardsplayed a hell of a season, but it would be nice to have 3 or 4 guys who we can rely on consistantly.
    Alecko could turn into an amazing player in a few seasons and i sincerely hope he is with DC when he goes through superstar puberty.

9. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need some size, ie, height and girth. It would be wonderful to have a d-mid like Shalrie Joseph helping Rimando out in the box on set pieces. Similarly, we must have defenders with a good vertical. Namoff is a very good player, but he's not exactly of the stature one would prefer in a defender.

The absolutely critical factor in any new defender will be distribution ability. Nelsen was getting better and better at this, but since Goose and McKinley, we really haven't been able to launch the counter from the back line. Also, an accurate right boot would complement Esky on frees.

GM

10. paddyhokie

paddyhokie New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    What's the deal with Yi? He'd make a nice addition to our D. I really wish we would have protected Thiago. He would be a nice addition to our forward depth. He never really got to show his stuff here. I wish him well except when he's playing us.

11. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to agree that tino will likely end up on the wings even tho he is a striker. kinda like adu can play up front, but is better suited to midfield.

what we need is a big target striker, maybe thompson can fill these shoes, i dont know.

we also need some size on the field. As i've said on other threads, we normally only have 2 "bigs" on the field in nellie and petke. all our other players are short. when we go up against a team like the Cows (as an example), they bring up marshall, fraser, sanneh, buddle on corners and set-pieces. already we are at a loss before the kick even goes in the air. we need some height on the team and i dont know who is going to get pushed to the sideline to make room. is it namoff? that would give us 3 "bigs" on the backline. maybe carroll? size at the DM is crucial. maybe dema or gross? that would give us a big far-post target on crosses as well. does jaime/esky/benny/gomez sit? Stokes has the physical tools for this, but obviously, unless miracles happen thats not a good fit. its hard to say....

in the midfield, we need some depth at DM. carrol had a great year, and was extremely durable, but what happens if he goes down? namoff could probably step right in (still short), but that leaves holes in the defense...

keepers are pretty much set. we can obviously upgrade here at either backup or strater, but its not a burning issue.

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Gros is 6 feet, so there is some size, but he needs to thicken up some. FWIW Stokes has said that he thinks his best position is d-mid.

13. paddyhokie

paddyhokie New Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I think Stokes best position is on the bench. He needs to learn how to pass and dribble the ball first.

14. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    First allocation needs to go to a steller central defender. An SI type of player. Our frontline is stronger than it was last yar (with Tino healthy). Our midfield is still as strong as it was last year (if not stronger). But our defense. Our defense is crippled.

I want to see us hall in a $200k central defender who's younger than 29 (no over the hill defenders out of Europe). That should be our number one priority. And draft pick won't cut it, because we're going to need someone with experience. If we find a player who can succeed (but never replace) Nellie, we'll be okay next year.

--kravi

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    As kravi just said our obvious hole with Nellie gone is central defender. You can add to that- we need a backup to him also since EZ is gone. Petke could fill in in a crunch but we reallly need two new bodies in the defense. All our other needs pale in comparison as we are at least two deep everywhere else due to the versitility of our players.

GM above mentioned the possibility of a big trade this winter, but I tend to doubt it will happen because our need- central defense again- is such a prized commodity in MLS. I mean does anyone here think we could possibly trade for a Curtin or Califf even- and we'd like better than that. No- their teams would then have created a huge hole in their lineup and so they just won't do that. We might be able to trade for a backup defender- maybe Llamosa (though I doubt it since the Revs just lost Pierce). So we must go abroad for help here.

If there is any trade, what we have to give is in the midfield.

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Another thing that must be mentioned is the salary cap. It's great that the roster size is going up by four, but unless the cap rises more than $150K then we don't really have money to pay for those slots beyond the cheapest grade. That means young marginal players will fill the roster. That's great for reserve teams, but does nothing to fill the real holes in any roster for the coming year unless a team gets insanely lucky. You have to think of those extra roster spaces as investments for future years. It gives an extra year or two for the Stokes' of soccer to develop.

Fortunately we have fewer holes than other teams and we have Stewart's and Nelsen's salaries to use on said holes.

17. mikeb3142

mikeb3142 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Pasadena CA
    The way I see it our needs/wants are:

1. center back
    2. right winger to replace stewart
    3. reserve striker
    4. yound DM to cover for olson and carroll

I think we all agree that priority #1 is to use an allocation on a center back, hopefully one with size, distribution skills, natural leadership on the pitch, impeccable ball skills and the ability to score the odd goal on set pieces.

I do think a major trade will be in the works this offseason. Guys like Petke and Kovalenko, who are solid first team players in this league will never have trade value like they do now. While I am glad we protected them in the expansion draft, I wouldnt be upset to see them depart for 3-4 players.

While I think all of us like the core of this team, we have to admit that the talent drops off precipitously after the 12 players protected in the expansion draft. However, with league expansion and the increase in roster size, I think the league will be slightly watered down for another year or two. Like us most teams will have a solid core, but will have lost their second tier/backup players to Chivas or RSL. When injuries and suspensions begin to hit, there will be a lot of lesser known players thrust into more important roles.

18. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think the cap will be too much of a problem for us. i mean, like you said we have stewarts and nelsons spots to fill. and also, with getting rid of those three we opened up some, and we are bound to open up more before the season starts. i think they will pick up a strong forward, a decent forward and a good defender. (well thats what i would do anyway)

19. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm completely guessing here - Since we all know Nowak's affinity for teaching the young players I really expect United to try and bring in a young central defender from Europe with the Convey allocation. Someone who isn't well known and is having trouble cracking the first team for his Euro club. I truly believe that Nowak still has ties to his old clubs and surely he has friends in the business. Besides, being a former captain of the Polish MNT must still carry some credibility back home.

If we do get an allocation for Nellie (completely desearved, IMHO) and we can sign Gomez, then do we target a forward? How many seasons does Jaime have left? I think Freddy will play in the midfield in a super sub role and his third season will see him as a true starting AMid.

As far as trades go, I just don't know that Nowak is looking to break up this team. I think PN will only try and augment, not take away.

20. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Don't forget about Convey's salary...wasn't he maxed out the winter before he left?

21. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Is that really the way to go after the Ivaov fiasco?

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'm thinking that if a trade is made, it will be with the Fire as Nowak knows those players better. Look at their roster, there are more than a few players who were there with Nowak and played with him.

23. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Ivanov, as I understand it, was essentially Stoitchkov's call. Novak is likely to do better.

24. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ivanov was a starter for CSKA Sofia and was in the Bulgarian Nat pool, IIRC. He also came to us on the word of Stoichov. I think RH said he didn't really scout Galin but solely trusted Stoich. While I respect what Stoich did on the field I don't think he has shown the innate coaching ability that PN posseses (breaking legs, pushing players, berating ball kids, etc...). This is a situation that PN goes into with both eyes open, relying on his judgement alone.

Besides we have the reality of American soccer to content with here. Is there a player to be had in the US that has match experience, leadership, good organizing skills, and the heart of a lion? I don't think there's anyone in MLS , the Superdraft, or the A-League that fits our need. I bet PN and the FO find a gem for us in Europe. Just a guess.

25. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Post- expansion depth charts

goalkeepers

Rimando
    Perkins

Whew! That was hard. Expect us to get another cheap GK with the roster expanding.

defenders

Starting defense:

Namoff------????????--------Petke

Subs:

Prideaux
    Stokes

Explanation: I wrote the above (?????) in Nellie's place because I just don't see DCU going into next year with Petke there and Prideaux as a starter. Two reasons: 1) We have the money to get a foreign central defender and 2) As last season went along, Prideaux slipped further and further in Nowak's eyes. At the start of the year, Brandon was at least even with Petke in the depth chart. Then, slowly, Petke won that spot. Then we got EZ and he was quickly placed above Prideaux in the depth chart too.

midfielders

starting five:

--------------Carroll
    Gros---------Olsen-------Kovalenko
    -------------Gomez

d-mid subs: Dema (Namoff or Stokes)
    winger subs: Quaranta, Adu, Quintanilla, Khuffor
    sub for Olsen's spot: Kovalenko, Adu, Quaranta, Quintanilla, Khuffor
    sub for a-mid: Adu, Olsen, Quaranta, Khuffor

The versatility of the mids is striking. I may have Nana or Q2 too low in the depth charts for the central mid spots, and Q2 may (or may not) be ahead of Q1 for Olsen's spot. But whats maybe most striking about the mids is the abundance of talent will make any trades that DCU makes come from here. I think the most likely players to be traded are Kovalenko and Quintanilla.

- If Q1 stays healthy he will push hard for a starting winger spot, although he will also play forward.

forwards

Starters: Moreno, Eskandarian
    subs: Adu, Quaranta, Thompson, possibly Q2.

- It will be interesting to see the battle for position at various positions between Q1 and Adu this winter and spring. Although Freddy's obvious gifts put him first in the depth charts at a-mid and forward, one can't discount a healthy Quaranta who IMO is better at playing with his teamates than Adu is. Both players should play a lot next year.

-The depth of the forwards is also good since Nowak plays the game without the need for a target man.