Let's get this party started...MPF style

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by soccerqt, Oct 21, 2004.

1. soccerqt

soccerqt New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    South Jersey
    Hi guys...it's soccerqt here. I've been to a couple games now and have become oddly enamoured with cheering section 101. I was particularly taken by their Metro renditions of Karma Chameleon and Frere Jacques. Well, I think it's time that we all pitch in and help them with some fresh material. I will start off with one...ok, here it goes...I'm sure we're all familiar with the 80's classic "Funkytown"...now, all you have to do is substitute "funky" with "metro". I'll start. "Won't you take me to... Metrotooooown? Won't you take me to Metrotowwwwn". Just pretty much sing that over and over until you get sick of it and move onto the next one. My boyfriend says it's really good. What do you think??

2. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I love it QT.................. Living la vida METRO?? 'Who's your daddy' to an abandoned young Freddy??? Or instead of Andrew Dice Clay's "Shoot my goo" insert "Shoot for goal"? Anything?? This last one is potentially one of my favorites.. Behind Soy de METRO and METROTOWN ofcourse...

3. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    It's tough for ESC as a whole to add new numbers. Beginning of the season I tried to add "Red and Black" from Les Miserables to the repertoire, but noone caught on...

I guess they didnt think Red and Black was an appropriate song for a team whose colors are red and Black

4. soccerqt

soccerqt New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    South Jersey
    Andrew Dice Clay is stupid.

5. soccerqt

soccerqt New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    South Jersey
    How did you try to get them to sing it? Did you write it in here? Go up to them and introduce your idea? The only thing I'd have to say about your suggestion is that maybe they were not familiar with the soundtrack from Les Miserables...They seem to lean towards 80's classics and well-known favorites...

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Perhaps we feared ESC being renamed "Les Miserables".

7. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I think part of the problem is that we are all such big Alexandre Dumas fans, using Victor Hugo seems like cheating. :p

In all seriousness, there is no holy grail to getting a song from inside your head to becoming a "staple" of the section, it just kind of happens. Generally, I wouldn't recommend show tunes just on popularity, because not a ton of people know them. If you take songs from the 80s & 90s, they are most widely recognized. It has to be a rhythm that everyone knows, and then they get the words to fit. The cheesier the better, because the irony of singing a schlock love song at a soccer game is all the funnier. Well, can be, anyway.

As for Metrotown...we did sing "Won't you take me to, Jaime-town?", which was a double reference to Jaime Moreno and Jesse Jackson's reference to NY as being a heavily Jewish city. The song had been in the league for a bit before Moreno was on our team, but I'm not sure if DC sang it or not, I seem to remember that they did (but it is hard to hear them, because they don't sing :) ).

The section always needs new songs, so keep at it. One will stick eventually. Of the 15 songs we sing with regularity, there are another 150 attempts that failed to catch on.

8. soccerqt

soccerqt New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    South Jersey
    Oh my goodness! Jamison, are you a singer?? Does that mean I have the inside track now??

9. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    "I think part of the problem is that we are all such big Alexandre Dumas fans, using Victor Hugo seems like cheating"

That's probably the crux of the Metors real problem too. Bob Bradley, a well known fan of Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stvenson seems to have never gotten over the swtiching of the narrator midway through the novel. And then back again.

Hence his inability to decide whether to start or sub Woly.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Soccer QT... Come belt a few out with us in 101 tommorow.. Perhaps you and I can do a duet.. We can sing the Diana Ross Lionel Richie classic ENDLESSMETRO together :)

11. soccerqt

soccerqt New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    South Jersey
    That sounds like a special moment, or what have you. I'll get there vis a vis the turnpike and we'll have at it...

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    That would be brilliant or as some others might say brill-yant... Rain or shine I will be traveling the dangerous roads of Princeton to sing with you.

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Hence Karma Camelion being my favorite of your numbers. Aside from Soy ofcourse.. Anyway more cheese please... Looking forward to tonight!