Let's all sign this petition so MLS will change thier silly name policy.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by FreedomJess, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly, I was hoping MLS would go the route of XFL years ago, but now we actually have a petition to make it happen. Horray! :rolleyes:

2. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    what's "He Hate Me" in Spanish?

[​IMG]

3. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Is this really that big of a deal? Really?

4. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It is a matter of some 8 year old kids wanting to see nicknames on the jerseys. It is retarded.

5. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    When I saw this thead, I assumed you were talking about the most idiotic aspect of the MLS - the names of the teams.

While I can overlook that several teams of Major League Soccer have "Football" in their names, and I've managed to overlook that MLS has the only "United" that never joined together two different clubs, I'm simply never to going to be able to get over that one of the teams has " Officially Commissioned by the King of Spain " in its title. :(

6. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since when has MLS denied players this? Thiago Martins had Thiba on his jersey, Ramon Ramirez had Ramon, Jean Philippe Peguero had Pedro on his jersey. There's more that I can't think of. DC United had a team policy of not doing it until they signed Fred.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the only Uniteds in England that were the results of two teams merging were Rotherham and Carlisle, and Rotherham had been through a number of mergers and rebirths, and that was just lastest one they adopted.

"United" has nothing to do with teams merging. Never has done. It's more of a victorian concept of unity or "togetherness".

8. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jesus please do some research before you post.

9. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    So, if by some wild chance Ronaldinho came to play in MLS you'd think it were very immature to put anything other than Moreira on the back of his jersey?

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If, by that same wild chance, Ronaldinho would WANT to come here, do you think he would mind the name on the jersey so much?

Not that I really care, I just wish people would quit it with the online petition thing.

11. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Given that there is so much marketing tied into the name Ronaldinho, yes, I think he would mind.

I guarantee you there would be zero chance that anybody would compare putting Ronaldinho on the back of his Jersey to "He Hate Me."

12. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I'm just saying, you put out the possibility that he wants to come here. Meaning he's already weighed the pros and cons and made the decision.

13. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    No. I put out a hypothetical.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

And the meaning stays the same.

15. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Your little game of sophistry is failing here. The fact is, and you know it is true, if Ronaldinho was willing to come to the US, there'd be zero controversy about him using Ronaldinho on the back of his jersey.

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

No, it's not.

17. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    I wish my lottery numbers would come up tonight, but that ain't gonna happen either.

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I like cheese. :D

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    MLS doesn't have that policy. DC did and with a good reason.

20. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preki had the one name. But, similarly to another player, there is no way is last name would ever fit onto the jersey.