Let us now praise Chappelle's Show

Discussion in 'Books' started by skipshady, Mar 27, 2003.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    In this sea of 24 hour war coverage and reality shows, Chappelle's Show is the shining beacon that leads us to the harbor of sanity.
    Really, I can't think of anything funnier (at least intentionally so) on network TV or non-premium cable.

Paul Mooney is fantastic in his "Ask the Black Dude" segment. The skits are usually hit, sometimes miss, but the misses have their moments as well. And he's featured musical guests like Slum Village and Mos Def. To paraphrase the Comedy Central promos, you simply can't miss the first 30 minutes.

Right now, TV comedy is absolute crap. Chappelle's, Da Ali G Show, the Daily Show and Scrubs are about the only programs with decent comedy writing.

2. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm with you on Chappelle's, Daily Show and Scrubs being the cream of the TV comedy crop right now. I would add some of the shows on Adult Swim. That's pretty much the only comedy that I'm watching anymore.

"Ask the Black Dude" is pretty weak though. Nice to give an old comic his due but it's had quickly played out.

3. Big Petke

Big Petke New Member

Feb 7, 1999
    Rockaway, NJ
    I love him, but the skits are certainly hit or miss. The crack addict segments are great, as was the real world one and the racist animal ones from a few weeks ago.

But, when the skits are funny, they are amazing, and I still haven't missed a show yet.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ask a Black Dude was good last night I thought.

I'm enjoying Collin Quinn's Tough Crowd on Comedy Central... I hate Collin Quinn's delivery, but his guests are really great most of the time.

5. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    The whole show last night was weak. Except for the R. Kelly parody.

6. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I saw that R. Kelly spoof last night and it was halarious!

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R. Kelly's Doo Doo Butter

I have to admit that as a whole, it's a great show, but some things are hit n miss.

Wu-Tang Financial, probably one of the better skits not mentioned.

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped TiVoing this a couple of weeks back. It was intriguing at first but it got dull.

There's something about all of the original programming on Comedy Central lately (except Daily Show) that just kinda sucks. I used to love Insomniac and it hasn't been funny in a while, Crank Yankers is just idiotic, and the Colin Quinn show is a downright train wreck.

9. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Although I did hear this crack on Colin Quinn's show last night:

"How can the French have designed that awesome maid's outfit and be such total pr!cks about everything else?"

Stupid? Yes.
    Funny? Quite.

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Colin Quinn's stuff is quite hit or miss. I think that he makes jokes that alot of people miss because its either a low key delivery or they aren't funny off the bat (you gotta think about them).

11. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Or racist.

12. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    It's decent. It's better than the regular black sketch shows, but is it possible for a black guy to have a sketch show and not have half the sketchs involve race?

13. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only at some point in the future when nobody thinks this is a legitimate question.

14. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Yeah, that or some black comedian having a certain amount of vision...

15. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned the sketch about the girl with big tits. That was hilarious.

Comedy Central has released among the best shows in TV ever : Insomniac, Strangers with Candy, Daily Show, TV Funhouse and the king MST3K.

Yet they also released some real bad ones (Stripmall, Battlebots, the Project Greenlights spoof).

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    The thing is though, race is a big deal if you're black and live in America. And comedy is supposed to supposed to be a commentary on real life, no?

Plus, when Dave brings in race, it's usually a satire of the old "black guy walk like this, white guy walk like this" schtick.

17. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    I imagine it is. But is it all they care about?

You mean there isn't more to life than race?

Sometimes, and I find it funny. But of the shows I've seen, more than 50% of it is devoted to some type of racial topic, some of which is good, but it's overkill on one topic. The one nice thing I could say about Living Color is that all their skits didn't have to be about race.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You would have a point if the majority of Chappelle's Show was devoted to race. I'm not keeping score but I don't get the impression that his show is dependent on race.

19. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Is it possible for other comedians to not make jokes about the usual standbys: relationships, jobs, sex, money? Sure there are plenty of bad black comedians who rely on race for material way to much, just as there are plenty of white comedians who rely on one theme too much. All of those topics are things common to a wide number of people and they can all relate to it. That's why it gets used so much.