Let the west coast speculation begin...

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by metros11, Sep 7, 2007.

1. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I don't think you EVER have to worry about Portland not drawing well. The support for their USL team is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in this country. They make DC United's La Barra Brava look like little children.

2. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The talent pool would take a major hit. In case you don't remember what happened in 96-98, it was filled with some crappy international players (excluding the big names) and the quality of play suffered.

With that said, here's what I'm thinking is going to happen:

2009 - Seattle
    2010 - St. Louis, Philly
    2012 - New York City

3. TijuanaMiPasion

TijuanaMiPasion New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Diego
    THE TIJUANA STADIUM

IS STRICTLY FOR THE TIJUANA TEAM

CLUB TIJUANA XOLOITZCUINTLES DE CALIENTE

WHO PLAY IN THE

MEXICAN FIRST DIVISION 'A'{SECOND DIVISION}

I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I'M PART OF THEIR SUPPORT GROUP

LA MASAKr3

IT'S 33,333 SEATS

AND THE STADIUM WILL BE DONE JANUARY/FEBRUARY

BUT WE'LL BE SEEING HOME GAMES THERE IN LATE OCTOBER..

SO PLEASE DON'T BRING TIJUAS IN TO THIS..

WE HAVE A TEAM AND WE DON'T WANT AN MLS ONE

4. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Seattle's attendance should never have ANY affect in determining how Portland would do in MLS. Portland's attendance this year went up 22% while Seattle dropped 11% from last year, while having similar seasons. Portland's average attendance was more than twice what Seattle drew per game this season (6,828 vs 3,396).

If Seattle goes MLS they are going to have to draw from their current market because the draw of fans from Portland to Seattle MLS will be minimal, especially if the Timbers still exist (which I'm sure they will). Seattle's success/failure in MLS should not have any affect on any determination on whether MLS will succeed in Portland or not.

Of course, if you just like numbers, you could assume Portland would draw twice what Seattle draws if they have a new MLS team, but that would be silly. :)

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhhhh......wtf?

6. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I personally think that MLS done properly in Portland (still called the Timbers, and at a renovated PGE Park, not at some new cookie-cutter stadium in the suburbs) would make the Toronto expansion year look like child's play, but that's just my opinion.

And I've been told more than once I don't know what the hell I'm talking about so take that into consideration. :)

7. kjreade

kjreade New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    New Hampshire
    A Seattle MLS team would NEVER draw from the Portland area. Never. EVER. Unless of course you count giggling suburban Portland teeny boppers road tripping up I-5 to see Golden Balls Becks.

I can't speak for our Vancouver Whitecrap comrades but I'm guessing they would feel the same way... though the thought of Timbers and Whitecap fans going to a Seattle MLS match together to root against the Flounders (or whatever MLS McBrand name they might have) makes me giggle hilariously. I’m sure we would outdraw the so-called “Pod.”

And by the way, the Seattle Sounders in the 1970s single handedly invented the atrocious teal uniform phenomenon that continues to plague all US professional sports to this day. How we can ever forgive them?

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Say die-hard supporters.

The rest of the regional soccer community in the PNW is fare game until a second club comes in.

Will people who now like the Timbers and Whitecaps go to Seattle MLS matches occasionally? Sure.

Same as people who like the BC Lions and Portland Beavers go to Seattle Mariners and Seahawks games occasionally.

It won't be big numbers, but sports fans in the region know where Qwest Field is, and many have been there before for big soccer events.

The average soccer fan and family will make the trip once or twice are year, for glamor/Beckham matches.

It took about 2 decades for the Mariners to regionalize, about a decade for the Seahawks. It comes and goes with how successful the teams are.

Beyond the small following of the Timbers and Whitecaps (and Sounders) is a BIG northwest/southwest Canadian market that loves the game and travels for events.

Still, it is true that MLS in Seattle, PDX or Vancouver will need to get the huge percentage of its support locally.

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I am glad he has tried to set the record straight. Some on BS have speculated on Tijauana's new stadium being the potential home of a MLS team.

10. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those uniforms rocked!:)

[​IMG]

What do you want, more red or blue uniforms?

11. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Jealousy. The green-eyed monster rises again.

12. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

13. Gooner_for_Life

Oct 26, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have to admit that if Seattle got an MLS team that i would probably go. Wait for it though...ONCE...to see Becks. You can bet your a*s i wouldnt be rooting for M im gonna L sound myself S. Infact i would be rooting for Becks to score a hatty and break someones leg along the way. As well it would be cool to see him once live before he retires.

Anyhow any fans that would be willing to travel to Seattle to watch an MLS game at any regular interval can piss off in my opinion. The only ones that would be willing to do it on any regular basis we wouldnt mind to lose them anyhow.

Maybe MLS is just scared to give us a team at this point. I dont believe they are capable of handling the madness that would stem from an MLS team in portland. Cause when its done and if its done right it will revolutionize the sport in this country. Im willing to bide my time patiently.

14. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Not at all. I hate teal uniforms. ;)

15. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    See, that's the kind of thing that amuses others about PDX.

Great supporters atmosphere for USL or MLS, but c'mon. It's a big world and a big sport.

You guys are averaging 6,000 fans per match.

Please, dare I say it, keep things in perspective.

16. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    That's SOUNDER blue. Teal is more what the Seattle Mariners have adopted. It's a little duller, more grey-green that the eyepoppers SSFC of the 1970's used to grace the pitch with.

17. kjreade

kjreade New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Props for whipping out that old Soccer Digest. Classic!

Teal/Blue green, or whatever the heck it is, is still evil however. EVIL I tell ya. :p

18. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP! :D

19. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hate it all you want. That ain't teal.

And SounderFan, the M's HAD teal as a big part of their uniforms for the first few years after they went to the new style, but that was pretty much jettisoned (along with those godawful green things) in favor of that navy/almost-black blue that they use now. I think they really only use teal on their warmups nowadays.

20. TijuanaMiPasion

TijuanaMiPasion New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    San Diego
    And Even Though I Have My Tijuana Team To Go Support Every Other Sunday...

I Would Still Love One In San Diego..

-just As An Update On The Tijuana Stadium-
    The Grass Is Gonna Be Put In On Saturday
    Whenever We Have Our First Home Game There.
    I'll Make Sure To Send Pix...

---i'm Glad San Jose Is Coming Back...but Move Chivas Usa To San Diego...and Name Them Chivas San Diego...

21. Memit

Memit Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Yes , i'm considering that St.Louis is the front runner now after their stadium is approved .

22. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    True,as long as their official announcement comes within the next month. Hint, hint.

23. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all that's over 6,800 fans per match with nearly consistent increase throughout the season ending with a high point of 15,833. The two matches before that outdrew KC's average in MLS. Sure, perspective, but this is USL we're talking about here, which is exactly why Rochester and Montreal would do well in MLS, because they are almost a guaranteed success in attendance. While Seattle isn't a guaranteed success I'm sure MLS in Seattle would do well, they'll probably pull around 13,000 average in a season, maybe higher the first season which is par for MLS. I can't imagine them drawing worse than Chivas or KC so in reality it will totally work, even in Qwest (though hopefully not I friggin loathe that awful place, your security is among the worst I've ever come across in my entire life). Anybody who says MLS won't work in Seattle is wrong, but the thing is, I don't believe it's the best choice at the moment for expansion, it's the most viable choice in the west considering PGE's issues. We are getting a new mayor though, and he might be a footy fan, so beware.

24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he might start posting on BigSoccer.:p

25. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    That's a thoughtful post. I see your points.

I would remind you of this, though. MLS talks about fans and markets...but they act on awarding franchises based on investor groups. So give your new owner a hug and stay on board. Looks like he'll be trying for MLS in PDX soon enough, too.