Let prisoners pick the fruit.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yankee_Blue, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
  2. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YEAH! We can put even more people in prison! Hell, lets round up all those illegals, and then they can do it for even less than they were making before. As long as we keep putting peopl of color in prison, we've got nothing to worry about...

This country is getting more fascist by the minute.

Dear God--deliver us from evil.

3. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Prisons - Americas most lucrative growth industry.

Why dont we just repeal the 13th amendment and be done with it?

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Your between-the-lines translation skills need help. The bigger picture of their suggestion eluded you.

Fortunately, it didn't elude the two guys whose posts immediately followed yours.

5. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm embarrassed that Rep. King is from my state...but also glad he's not my representative 'cause he sure as hell doesn't represent my views.

Can't understand why the House GOP folk are going so hardcore on this, seems like there's a lot of consequences of their policy that they haven't thought out otherwise they might be a little more compromising. At least the Pres and those in the Senate are being more reasonable about this.

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    It would be so refreshing to see our government address core problems instead of generating hate while dealing with symptoms.

7. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    And I suppose these wise legislators think it's perfectly ok to issue to prisoners standard grape harvesting tools, such as these:

[​IMG]

8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What else to you expect in an election year?

Hell, up here in Michigan, there's a fight brewing between two different Right-to-Life groups over who gets to decide which candidates run on their pro-life platforms. Neither group realizes they're on the same team.

9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout we kill all prisoners, and let liberals pick the fruit?

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you kill all the prisoners, only liberals will be....oh nevermind...

11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    There are so many "picture" and implications for this... I just picked one...

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jump Down turn around pick a pail of cotton
    Jump down turn around pick a pail of hay
    Ohh lordy pick a pail of cotton
    Ohh lordy pick a pail ofhay

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are listening to right wing radio talk show hosts, their base.

14. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the key right here. We can't pull the homophobia card in two consecutive election cycles to rally voters -- so this year the theme is xenophobia.

16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the republicans are hardly the only ones guilty of xenophobia right now. it is most american's.

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I've having a hard time recalling the powerful democrats leading protests against illegal immigration, and loudy spouting their xenophobia out.

But I'm sure that's probably just the left-wing media once again hiding the sins of democrats, and only focusing on whatever makes republicans look bad.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They certainly are holding t-shirts that say "America is Full" and grinning like the village idiot...

[​IMG]

America isn't full, jackass. Immigration is what has made, and will continue to make, America what it is today.

(That's Tancredo, BTW.)

19. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I like how they say let prisoners pick fruit but also say the migrant workers are taking jobs from blue-collar Americans.

So either they're saying blue-collar Americans are criminals or they want to take jobs from both migrants and blue-collars Americans.

20. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Well the core problems causing illegal immigration are incompetence and corruption thoughout Mexican and Central American goverments, keeping their economies in the crapper. How do you suggest our govenrnment deal with that?

Perhaps we should suggest that Mexico scrap their current consitution and laws and replace them with ours.

21. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    prisoners should not just be restricted to fruit picking.

how about construction work? we could do a lot to improve the infrastructure of our cities with labor from prisoners.

thatd be frigging awesome.

we could call our system the Great United Labor Assistance Group or something.

what do you all think?

22. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Still having a hard time believing America finally rose ups and said "NO!" to Dumbya over the ports fiasco?

Ya know what; it isn't xenophobia. It is the country saying "You have f*cked up pretty much everything, and this deal stinks too, so you don't get to do it."

23. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Assuming that this would be voluntary, I don't have a problem with it. There are already tons of prison work programs (which compensate the prisoners with money and also sometimes with extra days off of their sentence), why would having them pick fruit be any different from having them make license plates or whatever??

FWIW, if I was in prison I'd jump at the chance to get more than an hour a day of fresh air.

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Forget about that. The Outlaw Josey Wales???? The Outlaw Josey Wales?????? That's not even in the top 10 of Clint Eastwood movies.

25. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Aslong as US subsidies (corporate welfare) to agricultire prevent competition under NAFTA there will be this problem.