Review: Lessons for Loew from CL final

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by scorpion2a, May 25, 2010.

1. scorpion2a

scorpion2a Member

Feb 5, 2005
    1) Schweinsteigers DM role completely neutralizes his creative skills.

2) Mueller isn't the attacker Loew should rely on primarily when his other key players were well marked by the opponent, as in the Inter vs Bayern game Morinho marked Robben with three players leaving Mueller & Altintop relatively free. However Mueller failed to capitalize on the chances that came to him. Also he's not that skilled to pose a clear threat to the defenders by dribbling past their lines and creating chances for him or his colleagues. He's just a player who does a lot of respectable effort but lacks creativity & needs assistance. Compare this to Podolski, Oezil or Marin who can produce good offensive moves but their defensive effort is very limited.

3) Lahm should stay on the Right.

4) Badstuber is a pure LCB and can do nothing as a LB (not fast or dribbler or provider of good crosses). Aogo produces much better work on the LB as seen in the Malta game.

5) Butt didn't show that he's better than Neuer. But he's definitely better than Wiese.

6) Where's Gomez? And is Klose past his best times?

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's not a DM, he is a retaining CM. And he doesn't have enough "creativity" to play a more attacking role.

I agree. I don't think Loew is planning to start him though. The Argentina match was enough of an example of his limitations.

I think whatever position Lahm plays he'll do well, he is just that good. That said, he has played all year at right and if that is where he wants to play, that's where he should play at this point.

I agree but again, I don't think Loew will use him as a LB. He may not even bring him to South Africa.

Luckily the GK position is one which we don't have to worry about. Either one of the guys could get the job done in my opinion, and well.

3. mjd2086

mjd2086 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I agree with you on most points except for the fact that Badi can't do anything as a LB. I think Contento should have started there for the CL final, but hindsight is 20/20. It is true that Badi offers pretty much nothing going forward - hell let's just say it, he offers absolutely nothing going forward, but his defensive work on the left cannot be ignored. He - with some help from Hamit - kept Maicon and Eto'o pretty quiet on that side of the pitch, especially considering he is a boy in his first season playing against possibly the best RB in the game right now and one of the most lethal strikers around as well. I think he did a fantastic job holding down that side of he field, the problem came from him having no desire to do any work in the opponent's half... he passed back to the CB's more than he pushed upfield.

4. scorpion2a

scorpion2a Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Being a young lad is no excuse. It's all about winning or losing no matter whom the coach put on the field. Badstuber didn't provide on the attacking side and that gave the opportunity for Morinho to concentrate on Robben. Hamit was so isolated and couldn't do nothing on his own. I think Contento could have done a much better job.