Lesson learned from Italy

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by cpwilson80, Oct 19, 2004.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting "food for thought" points from the latest Roberto Gotta article on Soccernet, discussing the Italian national team and their slight downward step as a Superpower in soccer:

The relevance to the US? To a lesser extent, Italy's situation is like ours in CONCACAF. We have one of the strongest leagues top to bottom in the region, and ever since the success of the US in World Cup '02, there is a slight trace of arrogance among fans around here that we should walk over every team save Mexico and Costa Rica. Qualifying for the World Cup is one of the hardest things to do in sports. We played poorly in stretches against Jamaica and Panama, but some credit is due for maintaining resolve and taking a point away from each match.

Yes, I'd love to see us dominate like we did in the most recent Panama match, but realize these types of games are abberrations. Gotta is right -- the gap between the best and worst countries is closing in international soccer. Our region gets stronger every year, and part of that stems from the viability of MLS. Key players from countries such as Jamaica, Honduras, and Canada ply their trade here. At some time (probably around 2000-2001), MLS started focusing less on "name" players and more on cheap, young, hungry players from the CONCACAF region.

I included the second part of the quote about Serie A, as the MLS season just ended with lowest scoring average in the league's history. Clearly, parity reigned supreme -- the conferences and the scorer's table were clustered, with no one team or player truly breaking away from the pack (I remember Jeff Bradley using the 50 point mark as a rough benchmark for teams, and 30 points from Noonan and Guevara are the lowest ever for leading scorers.)

Naturally, after the playoffs, the question is what the situation looks like for MLS next season. Expansion and more games should lead to higher scoring (during the last round, there were 3.26 goals per game in 97, and 3.57 in 98.)

Despite the low scoring from this season, I've been extremely satisfied with two things in MLS: the level of play, and the development of potential US national team players. For those of you who remember the 96 season, this looks like a different league. There are far fewer unforced errors, and teams are playing tactically sound (though not always attractive and attacking) soccer. What's more, just look at some of the young American players that have made MLS home in the past few years -- many of whom have at the least an outside chance of making a 2006 WC roster, much less 2010:

Chad Marshall
    Clint Dempsey
    Justin Mapp
    Edson Buddle
    Eddie Johnson
    Todd Dunivant
    Eddie Gaven
    Ricardo Clark

This is why I feel confident we won't face the same fate as Italy. While MLS may lack the flair players, our national team pool has never been deeper or stronger. Let's just keep our expectations in check ;)

2. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Extremely satisfied.....??

Despite the low scoring from this season, I've been extremely satisfied with two things in MLS: the level of play, and the development of potential US national team players. For those of you who remember the 96 season, this looks like a different league. There are far fewer unforced errors, and teams are playing tactically sound (though not always attractive and attacking) soccer. What's more, just look at some of the young American players that have made MLS home in the past few years -- many of whom have at the least an outside chance of making a 2006 WC roster.....[/QUOTE]

I could not use those words to describe the performance of our league (MLS)...Despite all the advance on hiring and develop young American talent we are still far behind the Mexican league, the only yardstick we have to gauge our progress, and one question come to the light: Is MLS teams able to face any Mexican team with a fair probability of success? and probably you know the answer: so I would not be so sure about using the word "satisfy".....

3. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Re: Extremely satisfied.....??

I could not use those words to describe the performance of our league (MLS)...Despite all the advance on hiring and develop young American talent we are still far behind the Mexican league, the only yardstick we have to gauge our progress, and one question come to the light: Is MLS teams able to face any Mexican team with a fair probability of success? and probably you know the answer: so I would not be so sure about using the word "satisfy".....[/QUOTE]

When is the last time an MLS team has played a mexican in a meaningful game with both squads at full strength? I'd have to argue that MLS teams can compete with mexican teams, and I've watched quite a bit of both leagues recently as I get both on TV (via telemundo and other mexican/american stations).

Lots of mexican soccer is sloppy, defending is poor often, and almost all goalkeepers (with a few notable exceptions) are atrocious. The play is often slow, and very rarely do I see an effective counterattack (which is at stark odd to MLS with players like Eddie Johnson, Cornell Glen, Edson Buddle, and others with breakaway speed that regularly counter effectively with dribbling).
    It just seems the mexican league has far fewer "special" players or potentially "special" players than MLS (especially youth).

I would honestly put my money on the average MLS side winning over the middle of the table mexican first division team in a game with both sides at full strength.

Mexico is clearly behind the US now in terms of the national team, and that is largely due to the fact that almost all (or all?) of their national team players play in the domestic mexican league which is far far below the quality of the EPL or Bundesliga etc. where many of the US players ply their trade (including benchwarmers).

4. BelhavenKeeper

BelhavenKeeper New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Vienna, Austria

Look at the amount of $$$ those Mexican teams can throw at players. Plus there is a youth system in Mexico based around the clubs. They have more talent because there is nothing to do in Mexico but play soccer. I think MLS is pretty good for being the 4th or 5th sport on the map here. Besides, isn't it true that the top three goal scorers in the Mexican League aren't even Mexican?

5. socksgov

socksgov New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    california

When is the last time an MLS team has played a mexican in a meaningful game with both squads at full strength? I'd have to argue that MLS teams can compete with mexican teams, and I've watched quite a bit of both leagues recently as I get both on TV (via telemundo and other mexican/american stations).

Lots of mexican soccer is sloppy, defending is poor often, and almost all goalkeepers (with a few notable exceptions) are atrocious. The play is often slow, and very rarely do I see an effective counterattack (which is at stark odd to MLS with players like Eddie Johnson, Cornell Glen, Edson Buddle, and others with breakaway speed that regularly counter effectively with dribbling).
    It just seems the mexican league has far fewer "special" players or potentially "special" players than MLS (especially youth).

I would honestly put my money on the average MLS side winning over the middle of the table mexican first division team in a game with both sides at full strength.

Mexico is clearly behind the US now in terms of the national team, and that is largely due to the fact that almost all (or all?) of their national team players play in the domestic mexican league which is far far below the quality of the EPL or Bundesliga etc. where many of the US players ply their trade (including benchwarmers).[/QUOTE]

the mexican league clearly has the better players, mexico has international players from all the s. american with the exception of venezuela and brazil and some of the best players from the south american leagues that leave to make more money

6. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

the mexican league clearly has the better players, mexico has international players from all the s. american with the exception of venezuela and brazil and some of the best players from the south american leagues that leave to make more money[/QUOTE]

None of the top S. Amer. players are in Mexico, they are all in Europe or in their domestic league. Mexico only gets players of intermediate ability from S. Amer. I would argue MLS has at least as strong of pull for those players as the US is a much nicer place to live and MLS can pay foreign players competitive salaries (1 million/year for Valderrama, Etcheverry etc.). Prime example: Carlos Ruiz. Why is he in MLS and not Mexico (well, he will be in Europe soon most likely)? Because MLS is a more attractive option.

MLS's strongest asset is the American youth (which would never consider playing in Mexico). Players like Donovan, Martino, Buddle, Johnson, Ching etc. etc. would never consider Mexico, because the standard of living is just too low and MLS has a lot to offer.

Almost all of the MLS players (at least starters) are internationals for their country (or have been at some point), I hardly think you can say the same for the Mexican league.

I'd like to see Chivas play LA or NY/NJ...I think player by player it matches up quite well. NY/NJ has enough dangerous players to make quite an impact in Mexico (Guevara, Gaven, Taylor, Glen, Pope, Walker etc...)

7. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

8. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

you sure bout that? last I checked we have two Argentina starters, several starters from Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Venezuela... unlike MLS where you have players from haiti, bahamas, honduras and such...

9. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca

Its ovious the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, we'll let it slide, just as long as he doesn't go to the Mexico board asking if we are afraid of the US' young players.

By the way internationals in Mexico, some of them might have left the MFL recently. (Feel free to add to the list if I miss one)

Arg-
    Chelito Delgado
    Luciano Figueroa

Paraguay-
    Jose Saturino Cardozo
    Denis Caniza

Chile-
    Sebastian Gonzalez
    Pony Ruiz

Uruguay-
    Vicente Sanchez
    Sebastian Abreu

Colombia-
    Frankie Oviedo
    Chitiva

Venezuela-
    Juan Arango

Bolivia-
    Botero
    Jose Alfredo Castillo

Peru-
    Reynaldo Navia

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

MLS has internationals from Costa Rica (which is better than Venezuela, and at least on par with Colombia). The only international from Haiti is their very best player, Peguero, who is quite good. Same with Honduras...we have their captain. Bahamas?? I don't know about that (I may be wrong). Jamaica: yes we have Tyrone Marshall and Damani Ralph and Andy Williams, all three are quite good. MLS has only the best players from other Concacaf countries, not average players from Colombia.

Yes, Argentina, Chile, and Paraguay are all better than any concacaf country except maybe US/Mexico (though argentina is better than both, of course), but which of their players play in Mexico? None of Argentina's big names do, of course. Why would they? They could play in Europe for more money at a bigger and better club and play in meaningful games like the Champs League etc. Not sure about Chile or Paraguay, but I know that the major names I know (i.e. their best players) aren't in Mexico either.

I just don't think Mexico is quite the ideal destination for quality players you all think it is. Why go to a third world country when you could go to Italy, England, France, Germany etc. if you are really a good player? No one would do that.

Nonetheless, the US is better than Mexico at soccer, see WC 2002 and the recent (past 8 games) history of US v Mexico national teams. Absolutely no way to argue against that.

Some of that is or will be reflected in the respective domestic leagues at some point in time.

11. El Sabio

El Sabio New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Madison, WI

Ronaldo's I. dude you have no idea what Mexico is like. I'd bet a lot, that you have never been to Mexico or perhaps past a border town.

How do you get off saying how it is to live there?

And by the way, more on topic. In the past concacaf champions cup tourney thing haven't Mexican club sides absolutely crushed MLS teams,

ummmm yes.

I'll grant you, MLS is a decent league for having existed for only 8 years, but it is not near the level of the liga mexicana in many aspects. Not the least is average player quality, and drawing power.

I watch MLS somtimes, for me the creativity, ball skill, just isn't there. There is a lot of hard running, but then again there's a lot of hard running in the english 1st and 2nd divisions too, that doesn't make it good or attractive football.

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope, not right. Adu is the highest paid at $500K. I don't think those guys ever got more than $250k.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562134198

13. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

El Cabrito,

Raynaldo Navia is Chilean. he is also the highest payed Chilean player, winning more money than his compatriots in Europe.. Juan Arango is now playing in La Liga and Abreu returned to Deportivo la Coruna only to be loaned out to Nacional of Uruguay.. The only Peruvian international we have is Julio Garcia.

Ronaldos Idol,

Both Cesar Delgado and Luciano Figueroa are in teh Argentine National team. They were both called up to Athens and also played in Copa America. Delgado scored in the final match against Brazil but Adriano stole the show. Luciano recently netted a double in WCQ, i belive it was against Uruguay.

14. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Currently, yes Adu is the highest paid at 1/2 a million. But Valderrama and Donadoni made 1 million, Etcheverry may have made the same. There may have been more.

15. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca

Lets put it this way Juan Arango would probably start for most the teams you states (Honduras, Costa Rica, Definatly Jamaica or the Bahamas). Heck he would probably in the the pool of forwards for the US he really is very good, and is part of the reason why Venezuela is begining to pick themselves up out of the CONMEBOL basement and becoming a halfway decent team. Before you make comments you should probably educate yourself on the topic. By the way didn't Colombia beat CR at Copa America?

As far as Chile goes 5 players were called up from Mexico for their WC Qualifier Reynaldo Navia and Sebastian Gonzalez are players that figure promenantly into their teams WC hopes.

Again I suggest you learn about the MFL before you open your mouth, there is a reason why Mexico has been sending quality teams that challange constantly for Copa Libertadores, and a lot of credit has to be given to the quality internationals that have been brought in. You can probably put together a Brazilian or Argentinan team that would qualify out of CONCACAF from the players based in Mexico.

Oviously a South American players first goal is to make it in Europe, but it has often been said that Mexico is not a bad place to land in, infact many players use Mexico as a steping stone to get to europe players such as Mauro Cammoransi (sp), Agustin Delgado, the already mentione Juan Arango and many more have done just that.

Thats not the point of this thread. Stay on topic.

16. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe Mexico pays the highest salaries of any league in the Americas. Players in Brazil and Argie make peanuts by comparison.

18. BelhavenKeeper

BelhavenKeeper New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Vienna, Austria

19. El Sabio

El Sabio New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Madison, WI

Lets see..............ever heard of baseball?

plus besides that many kids play all sorts of sports......

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he said major sports, not kids sports.

21. socksgov

socksgov New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    california
    Defensas: Gonzalo Rodríguez (Villarreal), Gabriel Milito (Zaragoza), Facundo Quiroga (Wolfsburgo), Fabricio Coloccini (Milán) y Diego Placente (Leverkusen)

Centrocampistas: Javier Zanetti (Inter), Esteban Cambiasso (Inter), Pablo Sorin (Cruzeiro), Lionel Scaloni (Deportivo), Maxi Rodríguez (Espanyol), Andrés D´Alessandro (Wolfsburgo), Román Riquelme (Villarreal) y Santiago Solari (Real Madrid).

Delanteros: Crespo (Milán), Saviola (Mónaco), Luciano Figueroa (Cruz Azul), Luciano Galetti (Zaragoza) y César Delgado (Cruz Azul

list for their next wcq

22. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think i missed your point, little help please.

23. El Sabio

El Sabio New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Madison, WI

Yes, kids play a lot of so called "major" sports.

What the heck is a kid sport?

Anyway thats beside the point baseball is pretty big in many places in Mexico

24. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His point is that the MFL has Players from Elite Football nations(Argentina) playing in its league, that actually are called up to the National Teams.

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those players appear to play for teams not in the mfl