Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) available October 26

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Sachsen, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is good that the OS is maturing. It looks like this is a lot of much needed polish as opposed to actually making the thing work right, which is what 10.2 was, and to a large extent 10.3 was.

I'm happy to see such a so-called "minor" update. I mean, if only Microsoft would do incremental changes like this, their interface might not suck so bad. Instead they try to rewrite the damn thing every time out and it just leads to instability and problems.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath for free Safari 3.0. Safari 1.x died with Panther, and 2.0 will probably die with Tiger. You can, on the other hand, download webkit, which will be much fast (if a bit less stable) than 2.0

2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  3. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Got it for 75$ from a university store.

Completely screwed up my upgrade (Finder crashed permanently) and even an archive/install didn't help. I had to do a clean install.

It seems to be running a bit slow on my iMac G5 despite my 2GB RAM. I thought it was supposed to be faster than Tiger!

The Safari "snip to Dashboard" function is AMAZING!

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    2 things - the mail program is buggy and is apparently the main target of 10.5.1 update.

This will only work if you read prior to installation - if you have Application Enhancer - found at the bottom of the System Prefs. window - a 3rd party app that is responsible for ClearDock, uninstall it before installing Leopard.

If you don't, it will cause the Mac to get as far a a complete blue screen and nothing else, no progress, no way of ejecting the disc. Shutting down from source and starting up again still brings you back to the blue screen.

If that should happen, just restart holding the C key and do an Archive & Install and all should be cool, but ClearDock doesn't work (yet) in Leopard.

5. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is there a better e-mail program? Other than the Bounce back feature, I can't stand Apple's e-mail.

6. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you google DivxNetworks folder and Leopard, you'll find a potential bug when upgrading that ruins it.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I actually like Mail.app. It's very simple and easy to use.

Many other Mac users use Entourage, Eudora, or Thunderbird.