Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) available October 26

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Sachsen, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so ready for Leopard. I'm using my $100 iPhone credit to buy it at the Apple Store in Durham.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I presume that this will be loaded on any Mac computer sold after 10/26. Is there any cause for concern (e.g., bugs that often come with a new OS) since I hope to buy a MacBook soon after 10/26?

4. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With automated software updates, buying early shouldn't be a concern.

MS released Vista in order to try to pull even with Tiger. With Leopard releasing soon, looks like we'll have a few more years of Windows playing catch up all over again. :D Poor saps.

I went ahead and pre-ordered online from Apple since I have family in town that weekend and plan to go to a football game that Saturday. No time to drive to the Apple store.

5. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Same here, I'm pumped!

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd like to get it I'm not putting it on my PowerBook. I'm getting a new desktop soon, so at least I'll save on the cost of upgrading.

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No cause for concern. Apple is very good about jumping on the bug fixes and updates. Just run Software Update every week or so and you'll be good to go. Go for that new MacBook!

I have an iMac and love it. Those new aluminum ones are sweeeeeeet.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm indifferent to this update ... some of the other OS's have seemed more revolutionary. this one seems evolutionary ... like some update I'd get downloaded.
    Yes, there are some big changes but they aren't big changes in the parts of the OS I use most. It's like the new iLife -- what they updated I wasn't in the mood to pay for (plus I heard they totally redid iMovie and made it much worse and that's a program I use).
    I have a friend who's a software reviewer and I might be able to snag a copy from them .... but I don't see myself paying for this one.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how's the keyboard ... i saw them at best buy the other day -- it's more like a laptop's keyboard, isn't it?
    they do look sweet.

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:
    Check out this list of 300+ new features and see if you don't change your mind...
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html

I actually don't have one of the new keyboards (yet...) but I tried it out at our Apple store and I love it. It is just like the MacBook keyboard keys with a very thin, low profile - great for avoiding wrist pain.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, it didn't change my mind ... I mean, the updates to ical, address book, photo booth, etc ... those things aren't worth $129 to me. I'm assuming the new safari will be a free update.
    the security and airport features look nice, but I'm comfortable with what I have, too.
    I stand by my statement that it's just polishing what was already there as opposed to something so radical that I HAVE to have it.
    I'm not saying I won't upgrade, but I'm just not in a hurry to spend money right away. Maybe after playing with it at an apple store I'll change my mind.
    But I didn't see anything in there that made me say 'I have to spend money to get THAT!'
    :)

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was excited about Leopard too until I spotted this:

From this site comes word that a full install of Leopard will require NINE GIG (9 GB) of space! That's far less than MS Vista for comparison but still 9 GB folks! Three times as much as Tiger... Slightly over 1/8 of my drive for an OS!

Anyone alarmed? That seems excessive... I may rethink upgrading, at least for a while...

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.macuser.com/huh/coming_to_grips_with_leopard_l.php

14. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just ordered Leapord, I guess I'll see how it goes.

15. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for Cheetah.

16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My copy of Leopard has arrived! Too bad I'm still at work.

19. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Installed an hour ago. So far, so good. Mail and iCal are new and improved. Time machine is cool. I'll report more as I dive into it.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never upgraded an OS before - I never did with my Windows machines before I switched, and I bought my first Mac a year and a half ago with Tiger on it. So I'm a little nervous. Did you do a total wipe and install, or just an upgrade that preserved your add-ons and third party stuff?

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachsen: On a Mac you can install OS in place which is usual. You will insert new OS (Leopard) and reboot from it and an Install program will take it from there offering several install options. Smart users back up their data just in case. Insofar as your "third-party stuff" there should be no problems but try all as soon as new Operating System is running. One caution I would offer is that if you are upgrading the OS on a laptop be sure it is running on full AC and not batteries... running out of juice halfway through an OS upgrade means your computer is hosed eternally! Other than that you should have no problems... The Apple Discussion Forum is a good resource if you have any difficulty upgrading... you may wish to consult their Leopard Board before hand as already size issues of upgrade seem to be an issue in the community....

Good luck...

22. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    As a recent convert to the cult of the Mac, I would have to say that Tiger has been grand. I can’t wait to see what Leopard is all about!

23. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After an evening of Leopard use, one word comes to mind......fast.

Tiger was quick for me, but this upgrade is a good bit snapper.

24. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "teh snappy" has been a goal of OS X for a while. I'm a bit surprised though. Tiger and ever faster hardware had the sluggish interface about licked. I heard that Leopard was going to be slower.

25. mateo319

mateo319 Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget, you can cut a lot of that out by not installing all the printer drivers and languages. It does get absurd, though.