Leicester v Arsenal (EPL) 28 Feb 2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Feb 25, 2021.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sunday, 28 February 2021
    Leicester City Stadium aka the “KP”
    USA TV: NBCSN 7:00am ET

It turns out I did the thread for this fixture last season too (7 Nov 19). So I glanced back to that and it was an interesting time-capsule : https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/leicester-vs-arsenal-epl-9-nov-2019.2107289/

Xhaka had just had his little spat with the fans and was stripped of the captaincy. Many thought he’d leave the club in that winter or summer window... me included. And look how he’s been resurrected.... the most regular MF starter, and one of the most consistent players this season. (not saying we don’t need better)

People were broadly calling for Emery’s head, with Arteta a rumored replacement. Ironically we were in much better league position at that time (5th) compared to now (11th), yet I called it “precarious” then. And 3 weeks later Emery was gone. Might Arteta’s fate echo this? Hard to say, but I’m not wanting him out... yet.

We lost 2-0 that day in Leicester. But as relatively poor as our results have been this season, I still think we have a chance on Sunday. Our victory in EL today might boost our belief, as bumpy as today was. In contrast they just went out of EL... a 2-0 loss at home to Slavia Prague.

So let’s go for it boys! Act like it’s a European cup tie. :)

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bit worried

vardy will score

3. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    We've been that bad in the league at times, I don't care if we win or lose. I know, that's terrible! Unless a win starts a revival that sets us up for next season, it's all jiust same old, same old. Won't stop me from watching and hoping though.

4. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    With Lester bombing out of the EL, they have only the League and an FA Cup QF match with United to play for.

I think they come out super motivated against us. They need this win to keep pace with City. A loss to us and a win to City puts them 13 points off first. They are already really unlikely to win the league if City hold this form, but I still think City will drop a few more games before the season ends.

That said, we need to start chalking up the wins ourselves because relying on a EL spot for European football next season is a fools game.
    11 points off 4th, 9 off 5th, 6 off 6th and 7th.
    Strong chance one of City, Lester or ManU win the FA Cup meaning another EL spot opens up.

NorthBank repped this.
  5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The end of our hellish run. Games vs Leeds City and Leicester sandwiched between a tricky european tie. A win before our week off will be huge.

We're 6-2-3 since Christmas. My optimism for the match is high.

GunnerJacket and maskito repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listening to the AV podcast and the discussion about how over-tired Saka is ATM, so...

PLEASE REST BUKAYO SUNDAY! Give him 3 days off, don't even put him on the bench.

yossarian repped this.
  7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I’ve been growing increasingly frightened by Saka’s minutes for several weeks, at this point I think we have to risk him one more time. Need to win this to have any realistic shot at top 6.

We’ve got almost a full week to Burnley after this. Rest him then and bring him back for Olympiacos and Sp*rs.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Tim Stillman said basically the same thing. But IDK, I think Arteta needs to find a way to give him a solid number of days off and then manage his minutes more judiciously, if we have any hopes of having him continue to be our guiding light for the run-in. And I guess there will be an International break coming up soon where Southgate will call him up, and those so often seem to go badly in terms of players coming back w/ overuse injuries.

9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, if you rest him against Burnley it can be 11 days between matches for him, but I agree playing him is a risk every time at this point.

As an aside, internationals can go fvck themselves anytime, but especially during a global pandemic. I understand that feeling won’t help change the reality of them and the associated risk, but still.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Can't wait for the internationals to kick off, then for teams to have to have matches called off when players come back from international matches with Covid.

Surely you call off all international matches until the WC.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard that Maddison is out for this match... that's more than a bit of luck for us. Hopefully we can capitalize on his absence.

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Emery Raus

maskito repped this.
  13. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Fortunately, the Saka situation is totally different from what happened to Wilshere because the club is no longer competing for Premier or Champion's League titles.

Deep Wilcox and Silva 5 repped this.
  14. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We will do them tomorrow, boys. I believe it.

yossarian and maskito repped this.
  15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Getting a rest wouldn't have helped Jack. Every game he played he was kicking into oblivion. Whether it was 1 game or 10.

16. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    6 changes from Benfica. On the plus side, Saka is rested. On the down side, Willian gets a start. Why can't Martinelli get a chance?

GunnerJacket and cooper7d7 repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Maybe I’ll go back to sleep.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morning all. 5.5 hrs of sleep. This is some kind of loyalty. Or addiction really.

Holding on the bench while his concussion was <= 1 week ago?! Smh

Glad to see saka & bellerin rested.

But Luiz + Mari... uh oh?

20. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Willian, Khaka and El Neny in the same team, I might join you

21. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    I used to get up as silly o'clock to watch matches when I lived in the States. I used to go to bed a silly o'clock when I lived in NZ. We were good then and won things, it was easier.

22. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Martinelli must have really upset Arteta.

23. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    1-0 Leicester. No idea what Mari was doing

24. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    One nil, defence rubbish.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 NorthBank, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Wow that was zero defense. Thielmanns just walked in while Xhaka was too slow and Mari was just backing off. Or was that Luiz? Anyway, hello????