Leicester City - Manchester United [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leicester City vs Manchester United
    Pay-per-view (US)
    Saturday Sep 27 10am ET/7am PT LIVE

Out: Scholes, Solksjaer, Brown, Kleberson

Fletcher has been tipped to get a look-in soon with Ole's long layoff upcoming.

2. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    well it'll be great to see how well he will actually do in the Premeirship, all the best to him and i hope he lives up to his potential

3. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't decide whether to pony up the $16 to order this match...think I should?

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, do you want us to sing "Part time supporter" to you, or not? :D

5. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Re: Re: Leicester City - Manchester United [R]

Fletcher scored one in the reserves match this week so maybe he will get a look...

6. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    " don't know, do you want us to sing "Part time supporter" to you, or not? "

Well, the choice is either to watch it on TV, or listen over the Internet...so either way I am following the game. :)

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck man, why not come to the Lucky Bar or something?

www.soccer-nation.com

I'll be there watching the game.

8. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love to, but I live pretty far south of the city and have a 12 week old baby at home...daddy must be available to help at halftime...:)

9. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why do you think Fletcher's apparently getting such a closer look than Richardson?

What I've seen of Fletcher hasn't impressed me much. I remember him having one decent game in the CL last year. Other than that, he does little other than make decent short passing. He lacks pace... and has never done much to indicate he has a long range passing game a la Beckham. He doesn't seem all that comfortable with the ball at his feet, though his technical abilities seem decent.

Richardson, on the other hand, is faster, a better dribbler, and seems to have at least as good of a short passing game as Fletcher. His crosses also seem pretty decent. To my eyes, he's looked like the much superior talent so far. Sure, he's a year younger - but if he already looks better, why not give him a run out?

Maybe Richardson just looks better in games... and worse in training... but it's been consistent enough to wonder about SAF's preference.

10. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a match report of United's latest Reserves match:

Sounds good to me.

However it did note that Fletcher started out on the wing and was having a fairly quiet match, presumably as he's being groomed for 1st team cover on the wing, but really started to shine and scored after moving into central midfield.

11. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On the wing? Surely a lack of pace and dribbling would be lethal there. (then again, Beckham...)

I'll buy the central midfield more - seems better suited to what I've seen of his game. But surely that's already congested.

Now, if he can play the Scholes role... *dreams*

12. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    Re: Re: Leicester City - Manchester United [R]

From what ive seen of Fletcher he always seems to play alot better in the centre than on the right wing, obviously hes not as good as Scholes yet but given time he could be a bit special

The ability of Richardson definately looks to be there but the problem he has i think is similar to the one Chadwick had, hes just too lightweight. Fletcher on the other hand is a big guy at 6 ft 2 so you cant call him a lightweight. However Richardson has seemed to have grown a bit and i really do hope that he will be able to adapt to the physical nature of the premiership, combine that with the potential he posses and then we will have a very decent replacement for Giggs when the time comes

13. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Oh, come on now, they're never too young to be indoctrinated into Manchester United fandom.

Just think, when your kid is subjected to the baseless claims of being a "glory hunter" he (or she) can say, "I've been supporting United for years. I saw my first game when I was 12 weeks old".

14. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Just think, when your kid is subjected to the baseless claims of being a "glory hunter" he (or she) can say, "I've been supporting United for years. I saw my first game when I was 12 weeks old"."

Oh we have already watched MANY MATCHES together....she keeps saying that Ronaldo would play better up front than on the right...:)

15. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I can say that Fletcher is a great backup to Beckham in Championship Manager 4...

:D

Here's the latest: http://tinyurl.com/oiue

Fletcher says he usually plays in the center but SAF wants him on the right...

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Fletcher played out wide during the US tour.

I think we could see Dj-Dj in there for Keane since there has been talk of giving Keano a little more time off, not that he wants it. I also think Ruud is going to go off and get 2 or 3 (if he goes 60+ mins)

17. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    I hope that we see the Leicester side of last weekend, not the one that played Leeds.

18. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    come on mate Leeds are not exactly Man United are they? I'll probably end up with egg on my face after this comment but Leicester are relagation material and United should beat them (well hopefully)

19. Potomac Red Devil

Aug 12, 2003
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Leicester are relagation material"

yes they are but they have played well at times too.

Leicester and Portsmouth both have a great chance of staying up this year.

20. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Portsmouth I think is definitely going to stay up...they look like team that is comfortable playing at the highest level. Sheringhams experience is a plus, but they will need to get another striker before next season.
    On to better things. Manchester I think will want to clear the air a little bit after the Arsenal debacle. i really would like to see Ronaldo playing up front for a bit with van Nistelrooy. Nothing like two divers in the box, eh ;) don't know much about fletcher though...didn't he come in at the end of a game a few weeks ago a look pretty decent?

21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Uh oh, sounds like another "aahhh sure, 'tis true to be Irish m'ladie" patronising pub

22. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha... well, it's run by this Welshman of all people. :D

Despite the name, it doesn't claim to be an Irish Pub. It has an old slot machine and other things like that tucked into some corners and stuff. There are some footy scarves and flags hanging from some of the walls. There's also a signed pic of Giggsy as you walk in on the right.

It's not the "cleanest" place, but I prefer it to Denny's...err... Summer's. :D

23. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    They renamed Denny's "Summers?" Why? BTW, is Dennys food good or is it just a complete hole?

24. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, sorry. Summer's Restaurant is a "bar" in Arlington, Virginia that shows lots of football:

www.summers-restaurant.com

They have booths to sit in and it's so well lit inside and nice, that I refer to it as "watching footy at Denny's" rather than at a proper pub. Many people like Summer's though, but it's not my first choice.

25. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Now that's my kind of thinking!