Left Side - Strong Side: The Sergio Reguilon thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Normally I wouldn’t find much wrong with them either but if we’re going off of the premise that Ceballos’s comment (about not being sorry for not being at Madrid right now ) was bad then so is this, Reguillion all but said he doesn’t really care about Madrid anymore, considering he ( unlike Ceballos ) actually comes from the club then I think it’s a bit worst.

Lyra repped this.
  2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The truth is that Reguilon knows that we're selling him at the end of the season.
    We have a veteran under a long term contract, and bought a player in his position for 50 mil. Euro.

The Mendy transfer basically robbed him of any kind of perspective at the club.

Sevilla are supposed to make an offer IN January already but I think we'll wait till he eventually makes the Spain squad in the summer to consider higher offers.

Serengeti_Boy and Drouchk repped this.
  3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    These guys are grown men and professionals players. Not children who are fans of a team anymore. Hard to remain a fan of one team while playing for another.

He has said nothing negative about the club, the coach, or even hinted at being happier now as opposed to Ceballos and Kova. I really don't see the big deal in what he said.

4. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Whether he remains a fan or not is not important to me at the end of day I only brought it up to point out the double standard.
    Ceballos has said nothing negative about Madrid either, he said he wasn’t happy sitting on the bench, not many players are, he doesn’t have to spell it out for us to deduce this, that’s not an attack on Madrid as an institution. As for Kova I don’t even recall what he said to be honest.

5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think it was about Kovacic being negative per se, more of the vibe he gave off like "I'm at Chelsea and I couldn't feel better about it, this is what I wanted" and he ended up being an option from the bench for them.

6. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't Kova delete all his Madrid pics of social media the very next day, legit trying to make it seem like his transfer to Madrid never happened. Plus Kova had a better gig at Madrid and less reason to complain than Ceballos.

7. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Pathetic comment indeed. I had high hopes from this guy but yeah he can feck off and try winning ucl with any other team

8. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think we need to stop getting mad about these things. Most of the times they are taken out of context and almost all the time the players are simply being professional. To me it seemed like a nice and genuine interview. At the end of it he even said that he doesn't think that Zidane is against him and that he will be happy for him (because he got to play with the Spanish NT).

This part wasn't mentioned and he said it as part of that quote: "I always try to see the good side of things and everything happens for a reason."

Reguillon, Kovacic, Ceballos etc they would all LOVE to play here but if it's not meant to be then they have to look out for themselves. Can you blame them?

Pundorikakho, Chinky24, MerlinRM and 3 others repped this.
  9. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    #34 Drouchk, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Yea I guess his feelings got really hurt when he didn’t get want he wanted here. Either way I’m not too bothered about him or his comments, clearly the grass wasn’t greener on his case, it’s far more embarrassing getting benched by Barkley than Kroos and Modric.

Digital repped this.
  10. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hope he continues to have a great season. Either he returns or impresses a top PL club like City or Utd where we can sell him for 50 M+. Mendy is proving to be a big match player defensively. Pretty sure he will show offensive side soon like at Lyon.

We might have to choose two of Reguilon, Hakimi and Odri next season. Or maybe one if Marcelo decides to stay. He has a contract until 2022 when he will be 34. Don't think he'd be keen to uproot his family after being in RM for 13 years. Hakimi can play back up LB or RB though both him and Odri haven't shown defensive solidity. Playing as LW now. Would be cool if he can develop as RW.

Anon. repped this.
  11. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly. I think the issue is people are looking at this as a fan without once putting themselves in his shoes.

12. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    My only issue with these guys making comments left and right is that none of them elite players yet. They're all in their developmental phases and have achieved nothing yet. I'm not sure they have earned the right to demand anything from Madrid so far.

When I think about the ups and downs of guys like Marcelo and even Benz through various coaches, styles ...pressures....and I look at Ceballos and Regui ....I just think...sh*t up...you've done nothing to demand playing so far at the biggest club in the world.

Work hard and what you want may come....there's great examples of that.

My point is that he's done nothing to be able to say I'm better than Marcelo or Mendy. There is no factual evidence of that.

We'd be incredibly lucky if this guy has Marcelo's career at Madrid. Incredibly lucky.

HZinho, Digital, Anon. and 2 others repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mendy has barely done anything than be injured, what has he done to "deserve starting at the biggest club in the world" as you say?

Reguilon has been having a better season than Mendy, even if it's off the strength that Mendy has been injured for most of it so far.

14. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    This isn't about Mendy. Mendy's not the one making noise. If he was, I'd say the same thing about him.

And correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't Mendy have more experience than Regui as a professional if you want to compare the two?

Anon. repped this.
  15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You have to be ridiculously soft if you want players to not give interviews because you think somebody else is better.

Reguilon is making noise because he's playing well and having a good season. People like these guys to be simps and claim they'd rather mop the floor at Madrid than have a fulfilled career elsewhere.

16. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    You're taking it too far. I'm just saying these press declarations are not necessary and that Madrid doesn't owe him anything.

If he becomes that great of a player he can play wherever he wants. Right now he's just a young player with great potential who is in his feelings because the club wants him to develop and mature a bit elsewhere before potentially giving him a significant role when he returns.

You think it's too much to ask a player on loan from his boyhood club not to make statements that seem like he's taking shots at the club?

He's not the first and won't be the last to struggle to find minutes at Madrid....this level is as elite as it gets. Does he think it's supposed to easy to make it here?

Anon. repped this.
  17. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reguillon clearly outperformed Marcelo last season and he's doing it again. I'm not sure where this "no evidence" stuff is coming from.

I also dont know where it's coming from that he's "taking shots" at the club. He said his goal is to win CL, preferably in Madrid but elsewhere if necessary. That's about as boring, standard and uncontroversial a quote as you will hear from a player.

Requillon is certainly a player with a legitimate gripe, although Spanish he basically got cut for being the wrong nationality. There was absolutely no need to splash that kind of cash on that position unless it was Marcelo who was being replaced.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    You have point. I was also in favour of keeping Reguilon during the summer.

What I brought up was more general than just towards Regui. My original message was that these guys on loan talk too much. You're young ...focus on your game and you'll probably get your chance. Because he had a very good stretch of form under Solari for a few months doesn't mean you're automatically in the plans for the following season....change of manager etc... Things happen. Right now he's on the Carvajal path....nothing wrong with that.

During Carvajal's time in Germany there was also a legitimate case for him being in Madrid playing. Dude just kept his head down and played and it worked out in the end.

madridista_hr and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    AS claims that Zidane agreed to a sale to Juventus last summer, but the player didn't want to go and liked the Sevilla option more. BernabeuDigital also claim that Reguilon would like to stay at Sevilla if the two clubs come to an agreement.

There are also strong rumors in Germany that Achraf will be on the market this summer, since he doesn't want to come back and sit behind Carvajal.

Although let's be honest, at this point we have no idea what's going to happen. Will those players return at the end of the deal, even if the seasons haven't yet concluded? Really weird to speculate about the future right now.