Left Full. Bridge or Gallas?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Clan, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Anybody else think that we sacrifice too much when we have Gallas in that spot?
    Gallas is great going forward, far better in the box than Bridge - though thats not a good comparison as Bridge doesn't typically look to get in the box - probably has a better shot and eye for goal from distance with it.
    However, his main problem is that..well...he's not left footed.

Strictly speaking, i think Bridge is a far better defender for that spot.
    Gallas tends to drift into the middle too much, not too mention that he likes to amble up the middle of the park with ever increasing frequency.
    Being a natural lefty he doesn't have to turn his body towards goal to get the ball on his powerful peg when a lash from the back is required to relieve danger.Thats a dangerous thing too have to do, Gallas does it many times.

Not too mention, we lose so much effectiveness in crosses when Billy tries to take them, thats if he tries to cross at all, which he rarely does as he prefers to run the ball into the middle and pass it along with his right foot.

Thoughts?

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    While I would prefer to see Bridge instead of Gallas, I don't see this as such a problem as opposed to Gallas on the right. Primarily because most of our width is already on the left. With Robben usually playing pretty deep, there is less need for Gallas to actually overlap - Robben will most often be ahead of him anyway. On the right, meanwhile, this would be more of a problem.

That being said, I think Bridge is not only more natural in that position, but also the long term answer. And he's British, for those of you to whom that matters. :p
    It is good to know, however, that Billy can play there, because Babayaro is generally poor defensively (although much better going forward).
    Isn't Bridge carrying a knock, btw? I'm assuming that accounts for his lack of PT.

3. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, actually he's English.
    There are many English that get their nickers in a twist when called British ;)

I think Babayaro effectively played his way out of the team against Everton and may well have a very long time to rue his performance.

Agreed that he is far more effective on the right - although i can't see sitting Ferriera just so as he can have a game.
    The door did indeed open when Bridge was injured - he's starting tomorrow against Spain btw - and Gallas has stepped up to take the spot.

Funny how a different manager will curb a winge about playing out of position though eh?

4. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I have no problem whatsover with Willie playing on the left. He is a talented player and can play any position across the back line very effectively. That said if given the choice I would play Wayne Bridge at that spot. He is very effective defensively and overlaps on the wing much better then Gallas does. Bridge has a wicked left foot cross and excellent pace. I have no problem with Gallas spelling Bridge on the left though.
    Nice brings up an interesting point though about the need for the defenders to be getting too far forward. If Drogba comes back and we play with Duff, Robben, Gudy and Drogba all at the same time, will the defenders need to come forward much at all? Either way Gallas and Bridge are both class DEFENDERS so there really isn't a problem with either of them on the patch defensively. The question is more to what they will lend to us when we have the ball.

5. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bridge is a left back and Gallas is NOT. Gallas is one of the best central defenders in the world, very similar player to Desailly only a lot faster. The problem is that we at Chelsea have 3 of the top 5 central defenders in the EPL. Nice dilemma. Gallas has previously been known for playing at RB (for Chelsea and France) and he is more of a RB than he is a LB (seeing that he is right-footed). Bottom line is that he is a central defender of such extraordinary ability that he can play anywhere along the back line comfortably and I suspect that like Ferriera and Johnson he could easily step into midfield.

At the moment my guess is that Bridge is not fully fit and/or is having a slow start to the season. Jose reintroduces player slowly to the team which makes so much sense when you have so much strength in depth like we do.

Everybody being fit and healthy how could Gallas not get a game in this or any team? I don’t really have an answer to that. Which 2 to play out of Terry, Carvhallo or Gallas? I don't know.

6. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    It would be interesting to see Gallas and Carvalho play together. I have just always assumed that it will be Terry + one of the other two but ideally they would all spell each other. It's definately a nice luxury to have reserves that are as good as the starters.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I honestly think this is no comparison. I think Wayne Bridge is the BEST LB in England. Better than Ashley Cole. Granted Cole is a great player and played great in the Euro's (especially in the Portugal game) but I think Wayne is a commanding force on the left. He's equally good going forward as coming back and when he attacks, he's always looking to send in a cross and usually, they are spot on. I really think Bridge is the answer in the England LM problem.

But the question was about Bridge vs Gallas. William is great...but he's no leftback...but he is a more than able temporary replacement. If Bridge were to go out for awhile I might be a little worried but if Gallas has to play for a few games, then I have no problem. Gallas isn't going to hurt you playing defensively at LB but he is just not as good going forward from that spot.

Plus Bridge scored a f'n great goal...in the San Siro whoops, Highbury. (I love that Wisey song...oh Dennis Wise, scored a f'n great goal, in the San Siro, 10 minutes to go. Christ now it'll be stuck in my head all night long...)

8. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A fully fit Wayne Bridge, no contest he playes there ahead of Galas, far superior in that department.

That said the form the Bridge has been in recently I think Galas is doing a better job.

I have absolute faith that Jose will know when it is time to bring back Wayne.

9. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Either way you look at it, it's quite a nice problem to have. I haven't seen too many people post a formation like this, what do you think?
    ------------------------Terry------------------------------
    -----------Carvalho-------------Gallas---------------------
    Ferreira-----------------Makalele----------------------Bridge
    ------------------------Lampard----------------------------
    Robben-------------------------------------------------Duff
    ------------------------Eidur-------------------------------

While it's rare to play a true sweeper in the EPL, this formation would suit us well I think. Lampard controls the middle, Bridge/Duff and Ferreira/Robben can work together on the wings to get crosses in to Eidur (or Drogba when he's back) and the Duff/Robben are both free to pinch in for one-two/combination play with Lampard or Eidur

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hmmm....I kind of like it. I was trying to think of a way to get JT, Gallas and Carvalho in the squad together. But I don't think it would work. I always hate player one forward up alone. Man U used to do it with Ruud all the time and it never seemed to work. It was when they paired him that he would tear up. I think the best formation we could use is the one JM is using with Arjen (here, Arjen there, Arjen every f'king where, la la la la la la la la laaaa) and Duff playing behind the strike force.