Leeds United v Arsenal [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by gunner_21, Oct 31, 2003.

1. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    Ok here we go. Looking to stay atop the league. Should get 3 points, right? Who starts??

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    MY STARTING XI

Lauren -- Toure -- Campbell -- Cole

Parlour -- Edu -- Pires

Bergkamp

Aliadiere --- Henry

Probably too offensive for a road match but i'd like to see a LITTLE tinkering..

3. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Line up

Jens Lehmann
    Lauren, Kolo Toure, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole
    Freddie Ljungberg, Ray Parlour, Gilberto, Robert Pires
    Dennis Bergkamp, Thierry Henry

SUBS: Graham Stack, Pascal Cygan, Edu, Sylvain Wiltord, Jeremie Aliadiere

4. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would bet with Bergkamp starting we will get to see a good bit of Aliadiere in the 2nd half.

5. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Leeds line up

Paul Robinson
    Gary Kelly, Zoumana Camara, Roque Junior, Salomon Olembe
    Jermaine Pennant, Seth Johnson, David Batty, Michael Bridges
    Lamine Sakho, Alan Smith

SUBS: Scott Carson, Ian Harte, Michael Duberry, Aaron Lennon, James Milner

6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is the match on Capital Gold?

Thanks.

7. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
  8. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Kick ass, so far!
    one for Henry,8th mn.
    one for Pires, 16th.
    Wooo!

9. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Bergkamp hits the post, Henry buries it
    34th mn.
    3-0

Wooo-ooo!

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fantastic

Nothing helps the spirit more than wailing on a bottom 3 club....lol.

We are taking our anger from the FA rulings out on Leeds....SWEEEEEET!

11. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    and 1 for Gilberto, 5 mn. into the 2d half.
    4-0
    In any case, Catfish, this is good for the overall
    goal difference score.

12. AUSGunner

AUSGunner New Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    1-4; Henry, Pires, Henry, Gilberto, Smith.

Good game, but our defensive clearences in the second half weren't too flash, but the game was won anyway.

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    JA30 is starting to impress me. He looked fairly strong.

Anyone else notice that Wiltord has been on the pine for a few matches now? I wonder if AW is trying to send him a message about signing a new deal.

14. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A classic couter-attack performance. We let Leeds have plenty of possession without them threatening to score too much and hit them fast on the break. The second half was less impressive, I think the lads were pretty much happy with what they had. Bergkamp had a bit of a better game than last week (not hard I know) and I think there were even more goals there for Henry and the rest of the team if they really wanted them. Aliadiere and Edu should have done better with free headers in the second half. Cole played well against Pennant, he must know him so well that it was fairly easy to shut him down. I was surprised to see Viduka left out (is he injured??) and Bridges only lasted the first half before being taken off. Alan Smith and David batty were as tenacious as ever, but Leeds really are a team lacking in confidence at the moment.

Fair play to the Leeds supporters, they made a hell of a lot of noise in the second half backing their team in a lost cause.

15. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Martin Tyler seemed to imply that there was some sort of controversy involving the decision to leave Viduka out.

Jermaine Pennant showed nothing except his poor attitude. Reid was speaking to him very firmly during a stoppage in play, and all Pennant did was shake his head, look upset, talk back...typical stuff you'd expect from him.

Bergkamp was still terrible, and his accidental assist to Henry came after a laughable miss.

I look forward to seeing how the FA punish Batty's intentional forearm shiver on Cole. A blow to the face that draws blood like that should be considered worse than a shove, shouldn't it?

16. Bonaventure

Bonaventure New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    No. He was on the right side of the field when he passed the ball to Ljungberg.

He "played" the forward position, although it was hard to tell exactly what he was doing out there most of the time. In other words, it was a typical recent Bergkamp performance.

18. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now if someone from Arsenal had made contact like Batty did, it would have been a straight red. Still wondering what the FA is going to do about the St. Mary tunnel incident and this.

One thing I fail to understand is why Batty didn't get a yellow card there and then a few minutes later, get a yellow for a push/trip?

19. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    There was also an incident in the tunnel during today's 'Boro/Wolves game. I anxiously await the FA's report.

Batty got that yellow because of dissent. He dared whine about a foul just moments after he rearranged Ashley's teeth, and he was carded for his mouth. That's why the ref moved the free kick 10 yards forward.

20. chicago_fan

chicago_fan New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Today said plenty about Jermaine Pennant. He's swift, a good dribbler and can cross the ball (sort of--about 1/3 today were decent). But he's got a long way to go before Ljunberg starts losing any sleep over his starting position.

Defensively, he's a joke. He presses all the way forward and stands there like a scarecrow when he doesn't have the ball. No wonder Henry and Pires were able to counter-attack so well down the left side.

Shame that Ali didn't bury his header. Poor kid wasn't even close. He looks good, and could have made as much or more of a contribution than Dennis in the first half. Love the way he chases defenders with the ball.

The best part of today was seeing Henry dominate in open play.

21. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i get back from swim practice and turn on FSW at 11:30ish to see Arsenal up 2 nil and was so happy. I threw on my Away TH14 kit and watched the rest of the game. Pennant didn't really impress me. I think Gilberto did great on defense, i never really noticed him playing defense this well. He was taking balls left and right. Henry is the man.

22. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Great win. Henry is so far ahead of the rest of the world in pace, with and without the ball, that it seems almost unfair. Great ball by Cole to get it to him onside and in stride, plus Henry's touch just prior to the shot was phenomenal: although my eyes saw a half-step to set up the shot, my brain couldn't comprehend how he didn't seem to lose one iota of speed...simply phenomenal.

One burning question: what has Edu done in training that has caused him to not get any starts lately? I must defer to Wenger as the supreme judge of talent, but Edu has looked to be the most effective (healthy) central midfielder in the squad in the games he has started. I just don't get it. Am I wrong, Dan? (BTW, what's the status on Kariya's wrist? he's on my fantasy team and he's dragging me down by not being healthy)

Also, on Henry's second goal (the Bergkamp woodwork fiasco), who thought that they could see the strain in Parlour's face as he resisted the urge to take a shot no mere mortal could make? Razor threw me a curve ball on that one....

23. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    One Disturbing Moment

Was anyone else disturbed to see how easily Smith shouldered Toure off the ball inside just outside the penalty area, right after Arsenal's 4th goal? Smith gave him a shoulder and Toure practically counced back 3 or 4 feet. I would think a central defender should be a bit stronger than that (as Sol very much is)

24. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I'm not quite the Edu fan you are (hell, no one is), but I wouldn't have seen the harm in giving him a start today. I know many fans have been and continue to be mystified by the team selection, so you're not alone.

P.S. Kariya's supposed to be back soon - a sore wrist, they didn't put him on the injured list. Don't panic - he'll have a monster year.

25. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I've been a staunch supporter of Edu since he and Viera basically said to the manUre midfield "Not today" at OT in '02. Plus, I think he's got a straight Red lurking deep within his soul, and I definetely want to see it when it happens. He'll be smiling wide when he goes in for a nasty two footed tackle from behind some 4 or 5 seconds after RvN has given up the ball. It will be glorious.

Hell, I may start a web site dedicated to getting him a regular spot on the Brazilian National Team, not to mention a steady diet of EPL starts next to PV4.