Leeds United at Hapoel Tel-Aviv, UEFA Cup [R], 14.12.2002

Discussion in 'Israel' started by MHaifa1913, Nov 13, 2002.

1. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay the title says "at Hapoel Tel-Aviv" but we all know that UEFA is a bunch of anti Israel morons and the match has to be played in Florence, Italy. I didn't see the first match because I don't have Sport 5+ and partly didn't feel like going to a bar because I have green blood (ie Maccabi Haifa). So instead of more of my babling, here is a good match preview from Ha'aretz:

Hapoel Tel-Aviv leaves for Florence
    By Asher Goldberg and Ronen Dorfan

FLORENCE - Hapoel Tel Aviv left for Italy yesterday and was due to land in Pisa and then travel by road to Florence to prepare for tomorrow's UEFA Cup second round, second (home) leg tie against Leeds United.

Before departure, Hapoel held a training session at the new facility near Wolfson Hospital with only left back Yigal Antebi sitting out with a strained cruciate ligament. He is to undergo treatment on arrival in Italy. "I have no intention of missing this game, it hurts, but I am sure that after I receive an injection I will feel a lot better," Antebi said before departure.

The main doubts in the team over the fitness of striker Pini Balili were dispelled yesterday when he trained normally with his teammates despite still feeling pain in his ankle. He intends to continue training as normal today and hopes that coach Dror Kashtan will pick him in his starting lineup tomorrow.

Balili is eager to play not only because of the challenge of meeting Leeds and trying to overturn the 1-0 deficit, but because he has received word that scouts from clubs in Spain and England will be at the match to see him in action after hearing of his good performance against Leeds in the first leg in England two weeks ago.

Also making the trip with Hapoel is new signing, defender Eyal Ben-Ami, who signed for the club yesterday but who is not eligible to play as he was not registered in time for the tie. Should Hapoel manage to make it into the third round, Ben-Ami will be available to play.

2. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The club could very easily get the goals it needs to get past Dirty Leeds and advance.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    KYHS,

You need to change alliances in MLS...such as to the Crew! ;)

BTW, on my buddy's last trip to see family in Israel, he somehow found a Maccabi Haifa kit with the old Volvo logo...I enjoyed wearing it after the win over ManUre...and whenever I step out from behind the wheel of my 850.

4. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Well, HTA got the goal it needed early. Unfortunately, it gave up four more to Mr. Smith himself. No miracle run for the worker's club this time.

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    ouch! That's more than Smith has done in the Premiership for a half-season!

6. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in New Jersey for a long time and I have supported the MetroStars since the inception. I have even been to New York Centaurs games. It would be odd of me to switch to the Crew because they are simply not my home side. And to switch now would be very odd.

If anyone is interested in getting Israeli club kits, I can advise them on how to go about it. I have Maccabi Haifa, Hapoel Tel-Aviv, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Beitar Jerusalem, Ashdod SC, Hapoel Be'er Sheva and Hapoel Haifa kits. I even have an authentic Haim Revivo Fener strip. Just send me an email at rony_gil@walla.co.il

Shabbat Shalom