Lee Nguyen in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    My coach taught me to never change a winning game. He leaves Europe, plays in MLS, makes the All Stars, gets called up the USMNT, plays in the MLS final and now he should throw that away for some half-assed Euro team? Am I missing something?

INKRO, DiscoWarrior11 and butters59 repped this.
  2. shockbldxz

shockbldxz Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumb question: Would an MLS MVP award contribute to the WP cause?

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    About $250-300k p.a in pay.

He's on about $195k at the moment. If an upper-table EreDivise (or Jupiler League or Liga Sagres) team comes calling he can easily get $500k p.a. for 3 years.

If he gets real DP money, he's probably better off staying in MLS. The Revs are in the Cup final, he's a star at the Revs, he's playing alongside Jones who he can learn a lot from, he's playing alongside Jones so Klinsi is going to be seeing a lot of Nguyen when he watches Jones. Finally, at 28 the ceiling of a move to Europe is not going to be EPL/BL1/La Liga - unless he nails down an MNT place, in which case a big(ish) move to Europe could still materialize in 18 months and staying at the Revs with Jones will help cement that MNT place.

It all depends on whether the Revs offer him proper $$.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No.

DiscoWarrior11 and Jsean repped this.
  5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. That pretty much sums it up. Nguyen already took his chance in Europe with PSV and Randers in Denmark. The smart move is to push for a hefty pay hike and stay in MLS.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Lee will be getting a big raise.

7. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And playing the European market (especially Holland, which is a move he could reasonably make in January) is the best way to pressure the Revs for that pay increase.

8. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Given his age, money and post playing career options should be a major factor. He's in a good situation at NE, so if money isn't materially different, I'd only consider moving if there is a good fit from a playing and personal perspective.

I don't think the bit about already taking his chance makes much sense. If you don't make it somewhere by 22/23, you shouldn't try again? He's grown as a person and player and the fact he knows what to expect, he'll be better prepared to succeed and make the right decision.

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nguyen could probably make bank if he ever goes back to vietnam, as long as he can play.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Pretty much.

Remember, he was a bona fide superstar in Vietnam, with wages to match and living in a country with a very low cost of living. I don't remember the guy's name, but some other (white) American with much less ability was reported on these boards to be making $20k per month.

Nguyen would have been making at least that, and being Vietnamese he would have had substantial endorsment and sponsorship income on top. When he moved to MLS, he was widely and consistently reported to be doing it for the sole purpose of getting onto the MNT radar, simply because of the huge pay and income cut he was taking.

Then again, Nguyen had already made bank, so he could afford to.

11. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I recall it being substantially less like 100k.

12. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If I remember right, Lee's extravagant salary was really only around 120K a year. Keep in mind though to live in Vietnam it costs pennies and basically all that money went to his account--he got to use a free house and cars.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    FWIW, the UK is rolling back the investor visa program because the locals - and the locals are idiots, to be sure - are complaining that they are actually paying foreigners to reside in the UK.

Which is, technically, a valid complaint.

If a foreign investor buys the UK bonds as a necessary condition to receiving the residency rights, he is also entitled to a stated interest rate on those bonds. If one discounts the inflation (and most governments understate theirs by a few points, since it profits them) and the market prices for these bonds over the required holding term, then, indeed, investors make money off these bonds and thus are technically paid to live in the UK.

Off memory, there was a Telegraph article stating that about 850 people and their families use this program annually. Most of them are Russian or Chinese.

14. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I think it was a bit more, in the 200k range but basically it was all in his pocket as he had free housing, cars and even some local sponsorships.

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Which is great and terrific - The UK investor visa specifically prohibits people working as sportsperson. Which is why I was asking which visa you are referring to.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-investor/overview

superdave repped this.
  16. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he was there for what, 2-3 years? At 200k a year that is 400k-600k before taxes. Even if he put that all in the bank, and combined it with whatever he saved at PSV and Randers, that isn't going to be enough money to have total career freedom like people here, not you, are stating. He just needs to go wherever he gets paid the most.

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^Agreed.

He def. didn't make the kind of scratch people are trying to make it sound like on here....

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He had sponsorship deals in Vietnam too, I remember a picture of him with the Sony gaming system from over there. So we don't know exactly how much he was making in total. I doubt he's making more here.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's not making more here--that's for sure. But was he making 2-3 million USD yearly? I don't think so....

20. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas
    It does not benefit a government to understate the inflation rate. Exactly the opposite. Look up ("debt deflation"). Especially when that inflation rate is already "too low," as it is in almost all developed economies right now. Where did you get your info that government's routinely understate their inflation rates?

What was this thread about, again?

21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cryptic tweet

[​IMG]

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/04/southampton-eyeing-move-for-mls-star-lee-nguyen/

http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/mlscup/...oeman-y-el-southampton-se-fijan-en-lee-nguyen

I realize he'd have to get a work permit, which is unlikely, but who doesn't enjoy a bit of YA speculation?!!?

(TxT) and justinpaul10 repped this.
  22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    YA talks are always interesting, but I just don't see how this is possible at all.

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it means DP contract.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

It could mean he's accepted A DP deal and has accepted that he's in The USA for the remainder of his career. Or it could mean he's about to make a move to another MLS side.

Nothing has emerged that makes a Euro move more likely - or in any way likely at all.

25. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tweet could be non-soccer related. Maybe he bought his girl an engagement ring. Maybe he got a tattoo. Maybe he ordered a pizza and had a tough time deciding on a topping.