News: League

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by spinman, Apr 11, 2014.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah well in that case I'm glad they're sticking with single point goals. It's a soccer/hockey derivative sport... Not basketball. 1 pt per goal is plenty for the amateurish refs to be keeping track of.

2. jay melquiades

May 19, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    ive been away from posting at this site for awhile...been a indoor soccer fan since when the la lazers were around in the misl the original .so to kenn i would of thought the masl would have like a 30-40 game schedule to me a 20-game schedule means this league will b a fri-sat-sun league

3. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what we have seen over the years is that anything not on a weekend is too tough a sell, and attendance takes a big hit. I think, (and Kenn may have data on this I am sure of it) that Saturday is the top seller followed by Friday night.

4. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indoor soccer has been a Friday-Saturday-Sunday sport for some time now....

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Does FIFRA still exist?

6. spinman

spinman Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well tommy Tanner did have charts for the Meeting LOL

8. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when the joined the league it came with a coupon for a Gal bucket of Americas Finest High gloss white paint redeemable at any home depot Hahahaahhahahahah

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So have they decided yet whether they're going with traditional scoring like PASL has always had or the goofy 2 and 3 point nonsense of the failed MISL?

11. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Just like single-point scoring failed the WISL, the CISL, and the original MISL? Hey, I have some ocean-front property in Kansas I'll like to sell you.

Seriously, I truly hope the MASL goes with single-point scoring just so all the whining, crying and nashing of teeth will stop.

12. Sgt. Soccer

Sgt. Soccer Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Wichita, KS
    Kids from Grade school through High school and kids and adults in REC leagues all play with the same set of rules for the most part from what I can gather, and that includes SPS.

The league needs to work to make it uniform around the country so that those kids growing up to eventually become players or referees have played with the same system from a kid to an adult.

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Dulles Sportsplex: Nets are in. Fairfax Sportsplex: Nets are out.

I think people can adjust.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scooge, you know as well as I do that whining, crying and gnashing of teeth never stops when it comes to soccer discussions online.

KidFlash and wlamar3 repped this.
  15. EdD.

EdD. Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang on... Tanner wants a system where the team on a powerplay can only score 1 point while their opponent is free to score 2 or 3? I'd like to introduce his squad to the Mexican clubs so Tanner's team can spend all their time on the powerplay (and recovering from injuries) while they lose by significant margins. Even the MISL dropped the 1-point powerplay nonsense he's proudly trying to revive.

Kit repped this.
  16. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    As stated before, you get a dribble in penalty shot/shootout for 1 point, than a 2 minute PP. Also, you can DECLINE the 2-min penalty. In everyone's nightmare situation, Team A who is down big takes the 1 Point PK over and over, while then declining the PP. This was usual practice during the NPSL days and made coaches actually, you know, have to coach and make in-game decisions.

Maybe thats why Tanner wants it, he feels if you give coaches a chance to make an impact on how they effect the outcome in-game he believes his strategic ways will work best..I don't know but once you watch or see a few Tim Wittman type PK shoot-outs, youll want it back. Sometimes those things can be better than the game and definitely leave a lasting effect.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaches shouldn't have any major impact on the game besides subbing players. That's the point. This is indoor soccer. Not foot basketball.

Beau Dure and Kit repped this.
  18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scrooge, I'm not interested in 15-20 years ago, I'm interested in now. And right now, the most recent MISL failed and it had the multipoint nonsense. Now it didn't fail because of the multipoint, but why replicate a portion of it that adds nothing to the game?

19. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.

Using your logic, the CISL used size 4 soccer balls and it failed, so nobody should ever use size 4 soccer balls again. If you truly believe multipoint scoring is what killed the MISL3, you have worse problems than me.

The Stever repped this.
  20. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not call it a "usual practice." In all the NPSL games I saw when the Buffalo Blizzard were around, I only saw a power play declined once. If I had been a coach during the "power play disadvantage" era, I would have always declined the power play. It's better to be able to score 2s and 3s like your opponents than only be able to score 1 pt.

21. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    No one should use a size 4 ball again because no other turf and boards indoor league anywhere plays with a size 4 ball.

The Stever repped this.
  22. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    But using a size 4 soccer did not kill the CISL. That's why this whole scoring system debate/discussion is ridiculous. Next they will debate whether or not to have red lights behind the goals. The league/teams need to focus on the factors that matter (ticket sales, marketing, solid ownership, favorable arena leases, etc.)

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you even read my post?

24. Scott717257

Scott717257 Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw it done 3 times, all late in the game. If I am up or its close early/middle game I take the PP and hope we score. I don't believe I seen many goals scored against on the PK. Easy answer would be making all goals scored during a PP 1 - point, including the team down a man.

This reason isn't a big issue, how many short handed goals do we see a year? let alone on a game to game basis that will see outrage spread league wide?

25. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Through deliberate practicing, Dallas scored seven (7) short handed goals last season alone.