LDG: Korean Legend with bad luck

Discussion in 'Korea' started by +PL+, Nov 16, 2017.

1. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The legend who never reached to his potential because of bad luck and fan pressure. Legend of Pohang, and famous "Lazy with talent" player!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jessypjs repped this.
  2. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    best target man in korea
    187cm tall 83kg

his volleys are unreal

seolseol and +PL+ repped this.
  3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Maybe if he wasn't injured at his peak during the 2006 WC, we would've played better (I mean him>>>>>Cho Jae Jin) and he would've had a better European career after all.
    Another "if-moment" was when we played against Uruguay in 2010 and he had the equalizer on his feet.
    But at least in the K-League, he is a true legend.

4. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    The "biggest" if moment for me is LCY's injury. Could've become another legend.. He was linked to so many top clubs at that moment..sigh..

BENJMNS and jessypjs repped this.
  5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    The worst part is that it happened in a very unimportant game.

chook90 and LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  6. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    and involved some no-name ********wad

7. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    That's impressive weight. So many of our tall players are lightweight.

8. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I disagree. Not when it comes to tall strikers. Suk, KSW, Yang Don Hyun, Lee Jong Hyub (I know he sucks, relax) are pretty physical strikers. Even Ji is pretty average in terms of using his body against the opposition.

It's our tall defenders that are lightweights.

9. Ceezy

Ceezy Member

Jun 10, 2014
    You're right, that's what I meant to say. Having a 6'2" defender who weighs 160 lbs. ain't gonna cut it. A guy like Alderweireld is 200 lbs!

Kanuck and toohyper repped this.
  10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah...it ain't the 1960's Korea anymore. Our boys should be as hefty and sturdy as them western boys. It's not like we lack meat in our cuisine.

11. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    LDG is not a legend. He also had some bad luck but his bad entitled attitude was the #1 reason why he underachieved.

12. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    K-League's top scorer ever with 202 goals
    K-league's 2nd best passer ever with 71 assists
    ACL all time top scorer with 32 goals
    ACL's top scorer with 9 goals in 2011
    Asian Cup 2000 top scorer with 6 goals
    KNT's top scorer still in service with 30 goals and overall ranked 5th
    and so on...

But yeah he underachieved.

chook90, DHMGKorea and aeh1991 repped this.
  13. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Even the title of This thread is contreversial enough.

I believe he made that bad luck. He had a shit attitude most of the time imo. He behaved like a twat when Gus dissed him and I think it was at that point I was pleased he was cut. Bittermelon is a good descriptive. That stint at Sunderland was about as fugly as it gets. I was embarrassed for him. No guts.

14. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Middlesbrough, just to be correct :p

chook90 and The Hyphen repped this.
  15. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Holy crap I didn't know he was the 2nd best ever passer and Asian 2000 top scorer with 6 goddamn goals! Those are some legendary stats. LDG is a legend.

chook90 repped this.
  16. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is an unsung hero of Korea. He was a little lazy and had back luck but definitely you can see the extra ordinary talent in him. If he had the right attitude, he could be another Cha for your NT. Why Korean fans hate this player so much! If he had few misfortune in NT doesn't make him a garbage player. Look at his performance in his clubs and he stands out by far. He might not be at same level of CBK, PJS, or SHM but he is definitely better than many players like KJC, KBK, NTH, wookie etc ...

17. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You deliberately omit to mentionne the other statistics and prefer focusing on the minor one with an idiotic touch of irony.
    You said he "underachieved" and I showed you his statistics to prove he didn't. That's all, you don't need to go any further.

18. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I do think LDG underachieved. He scored most of those goals late in his career. LDG is a classic late bloomer who finally realized his potential when he was 31/32.

Do I consider him a legend? Eh. Whether or not LDG underachieved in his career, there is a sense that he could have been much more than a K-Leaguer. His failed European adventures and his stint with KNT...doesn't make him a legend imo. A K-League legend, sure.

19. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It depends on your projections and expectations : if you would expect from him to have a career aboard like PJS or CBK had, yeah you would be disappointed and consider he underachieved. But if you look at his statistics, it is really harsh to consider he underachieved, he broke almost all the records he could.

Then, saying whether or not he is a legend, is another question. Imo, to be considered as a legend like PJS or CBK, he should have scored some WC goals or have had a successful career in Europe or both. But sure he will be remembered for better (still one of the best striker in Korea for two generations of players, many records broken and many title won at national and continental level) and for worse (big injuries, disappointment aboard and in KNT with some crucial chances missed...)

Overall, my point is people should not insult him or criticize him for wanting to play a WC. He have been there since 1998 and at every WC we have questioned if he should be called up or not. Imo, his longevity and courage (because he overcame many obstacles and he is still there) are admirable. Personally, I would not call him for the WC (I would prefer SHM, SHJ, HHC and LKH) but I appreciate his spirit and the nickname "lazy genius" has not been appropriate since 2009, I think.

toohyper repped this.
  20. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    He failed in Germany and in England as well as WC stage. This guys has a severe entitlement problem. His self identity as the shiznit of Korean football ruined his chances to achieving anything outside of the K-League. This guy is the archetype of the worst of Korean football culture and what Hiddink tried to eradicate during his time in Korea. He's not a legend.

The Hyphen and toohyper repped this.
  21. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Funny. BJ Penn is often labeled a lazy genius, and people tend to have the same outlook on him as well.

After following Penns career, wasted potential is another way to think about how things turned out. If he just wasn't so lazy...