LD to return to Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by swedust, Nov 4, 2004.

1. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
  2. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO it's the BEST move for Landon. He's done everything he can do in MLS & now I think's he's matured enough to give the European game a shot.

You only get better by playing against the best & NOW is the time for Landon to prove his worth on the international level. This challenge should bring out the best in him & I hope he's ready for it. Hopefully, he won't "bitch" at the first sign of adversity.

Good luck, Landon.

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Agree with everything except "Hopefully." He WON'T bitch at the first sign of adversity. There's a world of difference between being a 17 year old who has never faced serious pro competition, and a 22 year old who has captained his country in a World Cup Qualifier.

Kick ass, Landon.

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, best move for LA...

5. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    wonder where they're going to play him, hopefully attacking mid

6. IlliniFire

IlliniFire New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Urbana, Illinois
    Hopefully, thats what some have said on the Leverkusen boards, they aren't happy with the way their attacking mid has played.

7. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he goes, I wish him the best. He is class and he will do well at Bayer Leverkusen.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like your grammar.

-G

10. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From what I've heard he's going over, but will be back for the MLS season. I think it would benefit the USMT if he'd stay and play in Germany.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So MLS is going to pony up the five million+ to buy him or is Leverkusen extending the loan again?

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly, highly doubt this. Because of the transfer windows - which are radically different for MLS than for the rest of Europe - it would not be feasible. Unless Leverkusen only wants him for Jan, Feb, and March (And if that's the case, why bring him in at all?) Or unless MLS (Earthquakes) only want him from August until the end of the season. That scenario just ain't gonna happen.

13. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    by the way he will have alot of friend there by now, Cherund, Mathis, Casey and he can take train on the day off to England meeting, Boca, Lewis, Reyna, mc Bride and Convey etc ... it will be alot of fun for him playing in Eerope now, go for it Dono !!

14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    He may be back for the MLS season, but only as a spectator.

Where have you heard anything that suggests he'll be back for the MLS season? It just doesn't make sense for Leverkusen to loan him again. If they don't see him as ready by now, they never will and will sell him - and I can't see MLS coughing up that kind of money for him.

I wouldn't expect to see Donovan playing for MLS again for quite some time...

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Landon Donovan does indeed leave for Germany come January 1st (his MLS contract is still valid until then, I can't imagine him not spending time with his family this Christmas), then good luck to him. However, here's another perspective:

For a team on the verge of new ownership (yes, there are other potential local candidates besides Tony Amanpour) that'll have the team advertised/marketed for the first time ever and a new stadium in or near San Jose, even simply extending Donovan's stay in San Jose for two more years would be a huge factor in stabilizing the franchise. It'll provide the "face" for the eventual marketing campaign (finally) for a team that otherwise has none.

Afterward, if Donovan and Leverkusen wish, he can then return to Germany at the ripe old age of 24.

-G

16. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how much is MLS willing to pay for him to help possibly stabilize a franchise (when it's not even a guarantee thathis staying on a couple more years would even do that)? And where on earth would that money be coming from. Would they mortgage their future on a player who may help San Jose stay in San Jose?

I see no benefit to Leverkusen to continue to loan him.

17. pivo6

pivo6 New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Brainerd, MN
    I agree. Leverkusen really don't have anything to gain from keeping him on loan anymore. If Landon wants to play for them, then there is a spot on the team for him. If he doesn't want to play for Leverkusen or in Germany, then I think that they will cash in and sell him.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Earthquakes will stay in or near San Jose with or without Donovan - but it'll make it that much easier to stabilize and market the franchise with him.

One way or another, I suppose we'll find out what happens with Donovan soon enough.

-G

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I have a bad feeling also that if the league does purchase him for $4.5M (a speculated amount off a German site), then it'd have to pay him a lot more than ~ $400K that he is making now.

Another problem is the length of his contract. If it's not that long, then Landon himself would begin to make hints about being sold to an EPL club where $1M/Y is a back-up's wage.

And then you have that "girlfriend problem". Hollywood relationships aren't all that stable. Who's to say that a break-up wouldn't force him to just say, "I'm a bachelor again. Show me the money"?

Chances are he is already a $1.5-2M year player. Sooner or later, he'll want to get paid like it.

20. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how you say "you people" in Indian (whatever dialect is available, that is)?

21. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    On what do you base this statement? Your club has no stadium, mediocre [at best] support for what has lately been a great team, and is losing it's marqee (sp.) player. [Of course, here comes the tired, old story about how its NEVER the fans' fault for having poor support. Always the front office, the stadium, AEG, et. al]

At the same time, since it is well-known that only Mia Hamm and Freddy Adu are draws, why would MLS waste money on bringing him back to the US? So that Donovan can feel good about "playing at home?" So that the 5k or so fans can feel good about seeing him?

At least Bobby Convey had the stones to TRY to play abroad. [Albeit poorly hereto fore] Donovan's been too much of a pvssy to even try Germany!

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This alone disqualifies your post for any serious response, much less the other stuff you wrote.

-G

23. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Are you sure that Landon considers Casey a friend? Landon's dad had some not so nice things to say about Casey 4 years ago!

24. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I'd think casey and donovan were in a competitive struggle to get pt in 2000, so mr donovan might be a bit biased when commenting on casey...

I think this is a good move for landon....he'll see a better quality of play and his talents will just get better...

and this will be very positive for the hex and 2006...

25. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    First, Landon (and his dad) have had 4 years to mature on the subject.

Also, while Casey played more minutes than Donovan, those 2 were probably NOT in contention with one another for minutes.

Casey was paired with Wolff up top. Casey is a power type forward while Donovan is more the quick hitter - like Wolff. Also as we know, Donovan prefers to play a more withdrawn role, behind 2 forwards, so whoever was the playmaker or attacking midfielder on that team is probably the one that was getting minutes instead of Landon.