Lay Off Ronaldo!!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Dec 17, 2005.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We've got to take things in context.

Those who don't like Ronaldo's style don't complain now... complain when we bought a player who likes to take on others rather than another Beckham.

Ronaldo's form has nothing to do with his attitude towards the game - he plays the game differently that most players in England do and as such its hard for him to be integrated in the team. He's capable of more with the ball at his feet than every player on the team, perhaps every player in the league. He can at a standstill beat 2 well positioned defenders and in his football culture he's been encouraged all his life to do just that. Its going to take more than just a couple seasons to re-program him.

That said, those who are critical of his form should really lay off for all the reasons DS has stated. He's had a worse half year than most of us have ever had. Lay off of the kid damnit.

2. Atlantic-Pearl

Atlantic-Pearl New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    in fergie's own words:

"I was pleased today as well for (Cristiano) Ronaldo because he has had a spell where his confidence has been a little bit down.

"A lot has happened in his life in the last few months and we are trying to ease him back and get his confidence back and as the game wore on he looked more confident.

"It was great to see because he is a wonderful talent."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=136627700&p=y366z8z8x&n=136628309

3. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I assume that was referencing yesterday's game? I'm glad Fergusun was impressed, because I thought Ronaldo was doing his best Darren Fletcher imitation. I mean, I have nothing against Fletcher, but I don't see much point in buying someone for their phenomenal ball handling skills and then coaching them so they don't use them.

Anyway, the 3rd possibility is that Ronaldo really is a mess right now and ManU is doing the best they can to ease him back into the game. The flaw in that idea is the reports from yesterday that the rest of the team yelled at Ronaldo the entire time he was out there.

4. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Not sure about the whole team yelling at Ronaldo throughout the game.

Yesterday he didn't make his trademark runs because -- watch carefully, he didn't get the balls in good positions. Plus, the recent spells he has on the bench must have made him wary of his style of play. There were a couple of attempted passes by Ruud that didn't quite reach Ronaldo (intercepted); if they did I'm sure he would've charged to their end.

Plus, two instances of the "old" Ronaldo include one dribbling into the penalty box, but his control let him down and he pushed the ball a little too far and the defender got it away. The second one came in extra-time, as he received a pass from Park, danced past two defenders and delivered a PERFECT crossed right foot cross to Ruud, who failed to convert. In my opinion, if that happens more often, we'll be in heaven.

Also notice the last 10 minutes or so of Ronaldo's play.. or even the last five in extra-time. His attitude was great, in my opinion. I watched it again last night and I was skeptical, but the way he patiently waited for the ball was great. His combined play with Park on the left hand side (for his aforementioned second attempt) was a result of his patient play. Just watch, the ball gets played around between Park-Ronaldo-O'Shea (methinks) and Ronaldo doesn't show signs of frustration, instead he just calmly gets into space so Park can release him, and it was a disappointment that Ruud didn't convert.

He's on the right path, if anything.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    tbh, I assumed he'd gotten bored/frustrated by the end of the game and did the cross with the right foot crossed for that reason.

The announcers commented that the rest of the team wasn't happy with him and they also said that Rooney was yelling at him for not running after the ball that Rooney kicked all the way to the end of the field.

Anyway, littleman, I think it was you who said you didn't like the "sell him" comments from Ronaldo supporters. I think that the "sell him" comments are a response to the idea that he would be a great player if he just would completely stop doing all the things he was good at and start doing a bunch of things that he wasn't good at. At that point, you'd have to say that it would be better for Ronaldo to go somewhere where they played the style of game that he was good at and better for ManU to get a player who was David Beckham #2 or whatever.

Lately, ManU seems to be playing an extremely British type of soccer game. Moreso than Arsenal or Liverpool for example. You would have thought that, if they were building the team around Ronaldo as well as Rooney, that they'd be bringing in people to support Ronaldo's style of play. Long term prospect, I suppose.

6. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    You mean the commentators said that? I dunno. But from what I judged, his performance at the end was great. Not sure a perfect crossed right foot cross would result from boredom.. I sure hope more people get bored ; )

Like other posters, I do agree that Ronaldo would probably be better utilized -- and better received in Spain. But what I didn't like about the "sell him" comments was NOT the fact about selling him, but the attitude behind those posters. Completely waa-waa-i'm-not-listening-waa-waa kind of attitude. The point is not for Ronaldo to stop doing the things he's great at, blah blah.. If everyone had that kind of mentality, they would never improve enough to cover up for their weaknesses. It's true that you should play to your strengths, but does this mean one should ignore working on weaknesses?

As such I have already said that Ronaldo needs to find a balance, and I think he's on course to doing that. As for Manchester United's "British" style of play.. I dunno, I think in times where the team falters or is suffering from inconsistency, it's best to build from "ground up" and stabilize the team with a focus on fundamentals. Only when consistency is achieved, then can flair and free-style of play be successfully integrated, in my opinion. We're already on the rise, and hopefully can keep this momentum. If so, we'll be seeing better, more "expressive" football, and that can only be good for Ron.

7. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I looked at the game again. Ronaldo did not look happy. He didn't look like he was particularly into the game either. Maybe it was the new hair and the gloves.......

I'd really be hard-pressed to look at that performance and say he's been off form but he's coming back.

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the talk about how Ronaldo "never" puts in good crosses, who can remember any quality crosses from Park. Everyone should quit trying to put Ronaldo in the winger box. In addition to his personal problems, Ronaldo is trying to find a way to play his game on a team that already has Ruud and Rooney, not to mention Scholes. I think that Ronaldo will improve once he puts some of the off-field things behind him. Right now, his body language tells the story.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not going to comment on everything but the above portion of your quote is exactly why Joe Cole and Sean-Wright Phillips seem like the only englishmen capable of beating a man.

I'm not saying everything has to be elaborate but by discouraging players to showboat and experiment you stifle their flair and creativity. That's why there'll never be an English Ronaldinho.

10. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Same reason why there'll never be a South American Keano. Different continents, different cultures and norms produce different types of excellent players. We can't have everything, in my opinion. Or you can go watch Pimera La Liga :rolleyes:

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Some laughable posts by littleman thus far. In fact, the only thing I really agree with is the one regarding playing him in the 'shadow striker role'. If anyone would care to remember, Ferguson himself stated that he was only playing Ronaldo on the wing for a few seasons until he had adapted to the Premiership. This was so he would avoid going up against the central defenders in the league until he had developed further. He isn't a winger and you therefore won't get much end product from the wing, so for those complaining about wanting him to alter his game are clearly misinformed.

Contrast him to Giggs, as both are great at dribbling with the ball and using skill/pace to beat the opponent. Since Giggs is a winger, he usually looks to keep moving down the wing and eventually firing a cross into the box. When Ronaldo does the same, he is always looking to cut inside and do something, be that taking a shot or making a pass. That is why he was more effective on the left, because it allowed him to cut inside to greater effect. Both players think and play in fundamentally different ways. Therefore regardless of what you personally think about Ronaldo, you just aren't going to get good crossing or more end product when he is dumped on the wing.

12. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after skimming most of the posts. It appears to be two main issues. One being: Ronaldo should/should not be on the wing. The other being: Ronaldo deserves less criticism because of the very difficult past half-year his had.

In theory, Ronaldo has done more to fit in than most anyone else STILL at the club. Ronaldo is not a winger, he naturally fits into the same position Rooney does. But since Fergie believes Ronaldo is too slight, or goes down too easily, he's played on the wing. Yes, he'd do better on the left by cutting in, but that's just further perpetuating the idea that Ronaldo is not really a winger.

Now, possible personal problems aside (I say possible, because I've not interviewed him, and even he and Fergie say he's fine, it doesn't matter) switching from 433 to 442 in order to put Rooney in his proper position, seems a bit unfair to Ronaldo. That its ok to pigeonhole Ronaldo by having him learn a new position, but not ok to tell Rooney "Learn the 433". I say this because you have Rossi bursting through the ranks, and nowhere to play him.

Positioning aside, I think Ronaldo does need to see the bench in favor of Park because he's in a bad way right now. No, you don't SELL him or LOAN him. If Man Utd can learn anything its that selling/loaning youngsters for no good reason will comeback to bite you in the arse. Ronaldo is still a youngster. His inconsistency must be accepted as he tries to learn his craft and be more effective. Ronaldo's allowed a bad season, especially since he hasn't had one yet.

13. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I truth Ronaldo isn't a winger should've been my point H. ;)

Nicely pointed out guys.

The critiscm of him from some quarters is perplexing.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1. He does, this is obviously true.

2.Kids learn to dribble like he does at a very young age in Portugal. In Lisboa you have little dirt-fields stuck between apartment building, caged futsal fields, etc...etc...In my mind,the impression I get from my country is dribbling is something every futebol player in Portugal is SUPPOSED to have, just to what degree.

Excuse me? Re - program him...Why would you want to re - program what he learned in Portugal. SAF knew he was getting a speedy kid with tricks, you guys saw that during the Manchester United Vs. Sporting friendly...Why buy a player whose main asset is speed and pedaladas? To re - program him?

Now, I was mostly the one saying "Sell Ronaldo". That was me, you guys know it was me. It was stupid, but I had grown extremely tired of all the bashing towards Ronaldo. So I just decided to answer " Sell" to every bashing...I apologize

With that said I WANT Ronaldo to stay at Manchester United. Alot of people do, and think that Manchester was/is the best place for him. People know he goes down too easy sometimes instead of pushing on like Mr. Gaucho, the EPL is best suited from him to acquire that skill. When he does, or HOPEFULLY he does, Ronaldo may be the most feared dribbler/player in not only the EPL but in the world...

Rooney and Ronaldo can lead Manchester United back to the top.....of everything.

15. Atlantic-Pearl

Dec 2, 2005
    even if he becomes a better player in another league? i sincerely believe we won't see the best of ronaldo in the EPL.

16. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    a couple years from now, when he gets more mature...and hopefully less of an ego, and starts playing for the team, he'll be one of the best in the world. his potential is incredible...he can do what giggs has done and more.

17. johlee_99

johlee_99 New Member

May 31, 2003
    Coppell, TX
    LOL!!! Your right, Park doesn't put any good crosses, because that's not his skill. He's truly a attacking midfielder, if any of you chaps followed his career at PSV and the Korean NT, that's why you'll see him naturally float to the center in games. The guy's best asset is his short passes and his quick feet to create chances. He has the second most assists on the team and could be leading if more of his passes went in for goals, then on the other hand, he could of scored at least 5 goals by now, except for 2 posts and 3, close-but-not-close enough shots. If you guys wanna see a quality cross from Park, HA! You might, but you'll probably see the Loch Ness monster first.

His type of play is truly more British then Ronaldo's and fits in much better with the team makeup. Like I said, for Ronaldo to be his best, it might be best to ply his trade in La Liga, where they are less critical of the dancing feet Ronaldo likes to do. For his sake, he should request a transfer, screw the money... (shrug).

18. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    His dancing feet are not the problem at all. The gripe is end product, and the final decision making when he has humiliated the people assigned the job of marking him. Manchester United love great dribblers of the ball and have had them throughout their history, Ronaldo is no different in that regard, he just dribbles differently to what has been before him. In the end United appreciate showmen more than any other set of fans in England except possibly Spurs so his trickery really isn't the problem. Your tangent is wrong in that regard.

19. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Ronaldo just needs some time for HIM to do what he feel likes. Gosh I wonder people would react if Rooney had a bad patch of form like this :rolleyes:

20. Atlantic-Pearl

Dec 2, 2005
    Ronaldo Will Come Through "Turbulent Time"

Sir Alex Ferguson has given his unequivocal backing to Cristiano Ronaldo, after a tough season on and off the field.

The 20-year-old's father died in September, whilst on the field in his third season with the Reds his form has been inconsistent.

The Portuguese winger is likely to start on Tuesday night against Birmingham in the Carling Cup quarter finals in a youthful team - a reminder, perhaps, of the stage he is at in his career.

"He has had a turbulent time, the boy," Sir Alex said. "But eventually he will come through. We're sure of that.

"It’s only natural for a young player to have a reaction to what he's been through."

Ronaldo's prominence on the international stage and his reputation as one of the most talented young players in world football sometimes glosses over the fact that he is still a young player honing his game.

"It is a problem because there are high expectations. There is an expectancy to win every game," admits the manager.

"But long-term we’re confident about him and the player he will become."

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=287229&itype=466&icategoryid=120

21. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    At this point I'd like to say I am not PR for SAF and I dont bug his room or nothing..honest. :D

22. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    That pretty much sums it up right there.

If there's one thing that nobody can question Fergie on, its his ability to nurture and raise young talent, and to help them reach their maximum potential. Fergie will make sure Ronaldo gets through these rough times and come out on top.

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  24. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that Peter was talking about ability as much as leadership. I don't think the discussion is about Ronaldo's failure as a leader. As such, Peter's comments aren't relevant.

25. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States