Lawmakers Want MLB to Fix Steroid Woes

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Dec 5, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Firstly, I think this belongs in the news forum instead of baseball because it is involves Congressional pressure, and perhaps legislation.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041205/D86PMJM00.html

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If the league isn't willing to do it (and I want to give them every effort and opportunity to do so voluntarily), I don't see the harm. If we're giving baseball an anti-trust exemption, we might as well make them pay for it.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Baseball's not going to police itself. The Player's Union is too powerful. In my world we'd revoke MLB's anti-trust exemption and strike the names Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa from the record books.

It won't happen, and to be honest I don't really care, but my young son is a fan, so I hope Bud Selig grows a spine and tries to clean up the game.

4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    McGuire took Andro. A perfectly legal substance at the time in baseball and legally. Obviously baseball I believe has now prohibited it. Sosa allegedly took steroids, however, I have yet to see any definitive proof (only very circumstantial proof when one compares the monster years in the past with his very average post testing year this year). Bonds and Giambi are the only two people who took illegal drugs in an attempt to benefit their stats. In my mind, they should both be banned from baseball immediately. Period. You can't really "undo" the stats. But I would damn well make sure that Hammerin Hank's record stays intact by kicking Bonds out of baseball for life.

To Mr. McCain and the rest of the Senate,

Get it done. The sooner the better.

5. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Andro was useless. It was one of the first-generation pre-cursors -- however it was about as androgenic as some of those "natural male enhancers" on the market. It also was naturally occuring in nature. It qualified under the DSHEA because it was found, in all places, in tree bark.

For what? This was Grand Jury testimony that was leaked! Aren't Grand Jury proceedings supposed to be closed/sealed? If so, any information was illegally obtained!

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw 'em. The only reason I go to baseball games anymore is to waste away a Saturday afternoon in a drunken haze.

The owners are ambivalent about drug testing because the only thrill in the game these days is watching lab experiments like Bonds try and launch one for Europe; take that away and you have 6 hour pitching duels (zzzzz).

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    McGuire took steroids. My brother played in the minor leagues for four years, reaching Triple A. He said just about everybody's on the stuff, especially in the minor leagues, which MLB has claimed to have cleaned up.

8. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Exactly. Look at the NL and AL All Star teams for the past 5 years. You're looking at steroid users, virtually every freakin' one of them.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is nice, but isn't there stuff to do that matters?

10. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    A muli-billion dollar industry that promises "sport" (i.e. fair competition) that has an anti-trust exemption matters when it doesn't expect its employees to conduct themselves in accordance with the laws of the country.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good post.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Take away the HRs (and walks) and you have have much shorter and exciting games.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    America = Baseball, Jazz, Moon Landing, & the Constitution. Nothing else will be remembered.

edit: Yes, I'm being ridiculously hyperbolic, but baseball is an important part of our culture.

14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Not even Poland?

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, massive offense makes that games go longer. If every game was a pitching duel, then they'd be a lot shorter -- well, except for those games with pitchers who take a half hour between pitches.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The other baseball "secret" that Conte says no one talks about is that 80% of b-ball players (his guess-timate) take stimulants before a game. If you don't you're playing "naked" as they say. Giambi ALWAYS looked he was a big-time tweaker. His eyes darted around like a ferret when they showed him in the dugout.

Oh yeah - how the hell do NBA players get to be the size of football linemen nowadays?

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Baseball was an important part of our culture. It no longer has that magical hold it did when the baby boomers were young, now its just another industry full of liars and cheats. Congress needs to fix so many other things before it even touches this, things that have an impact on the entire country not just people who happen to care for a specific sport.

18. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Threatening to take away Baseball's anti-trust exemption unless it immediately institutes aggressive steroid testing doesn't require inter-partisan debate, multiple revisions of bills, or anywhere near the difficulty and resources that solving all these 'other' problems requires.

19. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Gotcha, so it should only be done because it is easy.

20. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    It's important to a lot of people and it's low hanging fruit--aside from the fact that it's the correct thing to do.

21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Culture is more than ratings points (which are still very good), or I wouldn't have mentioned jazz music.