Latvia-Turkey Euro 2004 playoff [R]

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Chesco United, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Goal, Latvia! From Verpakovskis. 1-0. The plot thickens...

2. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they would have put a couple more of their chances away. 1-0 is a good result for Latvia, but Turkey are a very good team at home.

3. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    They've already jumped waaaaaay over their heads (think along the lines of Valeri Brumel over the head of Arturs Irbe) to get even this far.
    If they somehow manage to survive the self-proclaimed "Hell", football may give hockey a very serious run as the No.1 sport in Latvia. But that's a big "if".

4. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless the final result, I'm sure the 1-0 win at home didn't hurt...

5. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Turkey 2 - 2 Latvia. Latvia wins 3-2 on aggregate.

WTF??!! This has to be the most noteworthy result of the Euro qualifiers...well, other than the drubbing the Dutchies are laying on the Scots.

Tell me about the Latvian team. What players I should look out for?

6. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    Watch for the daring defender Sandis Ozolinsh, the hard-nosed captain Sergei Zholtok and the old but reliable goalie Arturs Irbe.
    If they continue the strong play in the neutral zone and develop a strong forecheck, they should be a contender.

7. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW, this is definetly the biggest upset of the tournament! I can't believe they pulled it off. Should be an interesting championship with Latvia in it.

8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This Verpakovskis fellow seems to have been their key player in the Turkey matches. I think he's still with Skonto Riga, though he'd had some interest from Wolves in England. I suspect a big Western European payday may be in his future.
    As for the Latvian team, do tell! I suspect they'll be many people's second favorite team in the tournament. I'll try to make at least one of their games, presuming that I make it to Portugal. Should be fun to watch...

9. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough draw, though I think for the Latvians, the Czech Republic is probably the best of the Pot C (or was it 3) teams. The Latvians will not be favored in any of their matches. But that didn't stop them in group play or in the playoff.