Latin/South American "brotherhood?"

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Century's Best, Mar 12, 2010.

1. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    While we're on the topic, how do some of you feel about supporting the US national team? I went to watch the US - England match in a bar in NYC and couldn't help but cheer on the 'Nats'. It was merely a case of herd mentality, because I usually cheer against the US.

The only time I find myself rooting on the US in soccer is when they play Mexico, because in my 21 years of existence, living in the US, I have yet to meet a Mexican who is educated when it comes to futbol, and his humble and realistic about their futbol.

Further, I was with a bunch of friends watching the US - Ghana game, and I was essentially the only one going for Ghana. Everyone was trying to get me to 'defend' my decision. I just can't root for a National team who's country doesn't take the sport seriously enough.

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I have always cheered for the US, since I moved here. Honestly, I think if a country gives you a chance like that the least you could do is cheer them on in sporting events. I would do the same if I moved anywhere in the world, frankly. I find it ridiculous when people here cheer against the Nats, for instance.

3. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i dont root for the US because i feel i owe them something, but i do support the NT and root for them occasionally. i came to this country just before 2001 christmas , a few weeks after the 9/11 attack and even though i dont love this country like i do love my homeland peru i like to live in this nation and im learning to love this nation little by little. i could probably have attended university annd work at the same time on peru, but my family decided to remain in american soil and i now feel satisfied about it.

i have never root agaisnt the US, though, but i havent root for the US every single time too.however there have been times when i wanted to US to lose, but not with anger or hatred. for example i wanted the US to lose with panama back in 2005 because i wanted to see a big upset in the gold cup and also for mexico i 2007 just because i put some money on a bet: $100. :D

other than that i support the US NT and i really wanted the NT to advance more on this WC edition. i think that is up to one to support a team which is probably not your home nation, but the weird case comes whrn people who were born on the US trash their own NT. I see that example in many mexican-americans who even want the US citizens to get killed and all that. I'm not making this universal, but I've seen this and heard this many times as a joke and also as jokes who turned into discussion of US-MX long time rivalry.

So once again if you support or not the US is fine, but one thing is supporting a team and the other is disliking it and even wishing the team the worst. I dont hate or love Chile but when it comes to football i simply want Peru to defeat them, as well as Brazil, Argentina or any other NT. I think that having a rivalry is somehow good too, because you learn so much from your achievements and failures, but this doesnt mean i want chile to lose every single game. I supported chile on this WC, just like i did everyother spanish speaking nation, conmebol nation and the US. I have used two words too much on this: support and root, and that;s the difference abnout the US and Chile, I can root for the US but not for Chile, while I support Chile.

4. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I was born here, and I never felt much identification with the US, particularly in sports, and especially not futbol.

I don't see what's so ridiculous about cheering against the US. In general, the population dislikes the sport,and are in usually ignorant when it comes to the game. If I were cheering against them during a war, I would understand your logic, however it's still just a game. You choose a team to root for, one to root against and at the end of the day win or lose, life goes on.

5. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    and what is your motive to root against them again..?

You may find that in general the appreciation for soccer in the US is growing at a tremendous rate. It is not longer what it used to be 15 years ago where the only kids playing soccer at schools were those with Latin American/European backgrounds..

6. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    No motive. Just would rather them not win, under certain circumstances. When Ghana beat the US I imagine that the street of Accra were filled with thousands of people. If the US were to win I probably wouldn't come across a single person in the street celebrating.

7. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sure but your argument is based on the premise that soccer is not popular in the States and therefore you should root against them--pretty weak base. At the very lest, you could be "neutral" but hey, to each his own.

8. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I just said I feel little or no identification with American soccer. How is that a weak base?

Would you root for any team/organization that you do not identify with?

If you want to 'dissect' why I have no identification or affinity for American futbol, then that's another matter.

9. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I personally don't cheer for more than one country, just like I don't cheer for more than one club. These 'extra' allegiances are foreign to me. You may sleep with a lot of women but only love one of 'em, you know what I mean? ;)

And although this country may be giving me opportunities, I'm also giving back to it... so I don't feel like I have to fake allegiances just because I'm here. I find that attitude rather dishonest and superficial. If you develop a love for the sport here, that's something else.

10. southamerican1984

southamerican1984 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 10, 2005
    I support all south american teams........ I really can't support concacaf's teams, concacaf is the weakest confederation in the world, they play a horrible football.

11. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    The thing that many people don't understand is that national teams aren't just teams. They represent a country. You can't just like the players or the playing style. You gotta like the country. You gotta have some connection to that country. It's not that you just choose a national team. This isn't a club

12. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i dont care if a team belongs to the worst confederation and they play the worst football on earth. if i were from america samoa or new cadelonia and i like football i will root for my NT's even if we get owned all the time. so by the concept of southamerican 1984 venezuelans would have not root for their NT back in the 70's or 80's? is true tht having a team that wins it all makes you happier, but what if your teams is weak and probably is composed of amateurs? i will still support it.

13. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Dude.. don't lie to yourself.. There's got to be a reason..
    I disagree with your last sentence.. You have to get out more.
    Yes, soccer is still not the main sport in the US but its popularity is growing at a rapid pace. Every world cup since 94 I see more and more US soccer fans..

14. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    even if the US loses all the time, and you like and love your country you will support your NT. all those US fans, or at least the majority of the ones who went to southafrica, probably know about soccer the same that i know about baseball, but just because they love their country they dont care about the rest and support , cheer and root for their NT.

So why to bother if you dont love or like your own country and support and root another one? i see it simple FARFAN17 doesnt like the US and for that reason he doesnt support his own NT. im not going to say he is wrong or right, but is his decision and whatebver he does or thinks is his business.

15. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    not really but being neutral about is the more logical approach in this case.

16. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yo solo tengo una seleccion ;)

17. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    [​IMG]

18. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Actually, paying taxes, respecting the law, "working hard" and, if you're a citizen, voting are much more crucial.

Cheering for their sports teams is pretty far down the list of things you can do to show gratitude to a country, IMO.

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If you read carefully, I said "least you could do". Nowhere do I say that the things you mentioned are irrelevant.

Talk about "selective reading".

20. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i respect the laws of this country and pay taxes here too, but whay do you bring that up?

21. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    My opinion is that you don't have to root for the U.S. at the World Cup if you live here. But if your country isn't there, you should root for the U.S. ahead of Spain, Brazil, Argentina, etc.

I did it in 2006 as Uruguay didn't qualify, and did it in this one, despite the fact that the US was really close to playing Uruguay. In that case, of couse I would've rooted for Uruguay, but in all other cases,
    USA USA USA USA USA USA

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    CHuckles.

I just spoke to a Brazilian friend walking in Manhattan with his pregnant wife. He had just come out of a bar, where he'd watched the game.

He told me that some dude wearing a Boca Juniors jersey saw him and yelled some profanities in Spanish.

Typical Argentine scum.

23. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  24. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    En mi trabajo, el 100% estábamos con Holanda, ya que Brasil juega mal y sucio. Además había cierta "pica" por el partido del lunes ante Chile.

Así que al final hubo aplausos y mucha alegría por la eliminación de Brasil, que llegó muy "agrandado", y ni siquiera se preparó adecuadamente para este Mundial (un par de amistosos con selecciones africanas de 8va categoría y nada más).

CHAO DUNGA RATÓN!!:):D

25. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Respuesta: Re: Latin/South American "brotherhood?"

Todavia podemos meter 3 de 4. No deja de ser excelente.