Latin/South American "brotherhood?"

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Century's Best, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    In my many years living in the United States, I have noticed that Latin American immigrants use the terms "hermano" and "paisano" when referring to each other. Certainly, they will mix amongst their own, but given the similar situation many of these expat communities find themselves in, it's perhaps understandable they will have a sense (albeit perhaps at times a vague one) of "common identity."

The use of the Spanish language, the struggles as immigrants, and sometimes, similarities in culture and even cuisine may contribute to a "pan-Latin" identity amongst immigrants in the USA.

Transferring that to soccer, do you, as a Latin or South American immigrant (or if you have never left your country of origin, as a native) support fellow Latin or South American national teams in the World Cup if yours has been eliminated or didn't make it? Provided of course your team's direct rival in either the group or final stages isn't Latin/South American also.

For example, a theme I've noticed amongst some Latin/South American BigSoccer members is an affinity for Brazil. There's a South American poster whom I've talked to recently, whose well-written and informed posts have earned my respect, who said he has lived "vicariously" through Brazil's recent successes given his own NT has not always done well. And in my many conversations w/ Latin/South American immigrants in the New York area, I have never encountered people who disliked it when Brazil did well in the World Cup. (The exception is, of course, Argentine fans, but given the rivalry, that's more than understandable).

Very recently, I found a Youtube clip showing the final minutes of Netherlands vs Argentina from 1998. It's from a Latin American channel. I can't identify/distinguish the accent, and am at a loss as to where the anchormen are from. But immediately after Argentina has been knocked out, one of the anchormen says, "It's too bad; it hurts me as a South American to see Argentina out. I wanted to see the Argentines, and not the Dutchmen, embracing each other in victory. But now I put all my hopes in Brazil as a South American, and all of us now support Brazil, that Brazil may once again be crowned World Champion. We still live the World Cup here in America and we live it with Brazil."

Does your home nation have similar sentiments? If your NT has been knocked out or didn't make it to the World Cup, do the fans and/or the press tend to side w/ whatever surviving South American team/teams remain solely because of these teams being from the same continent?

2. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I never understood the Brazilian nuthugging especially with a lot of them not considering themselves latino.

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Brazil is nonetheless part of Latin America.

4. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    To answer your original post, yes. Uruguayans are dirty bastards, but outside the context of regional competition they get my full support. Same goes for any other Latin American country.

In fact, I still have a fresh memory of the Paraguayan elimination at the hands of France in the 1998 World Cup. I was surprised to read youtube comments of that match and seeing the comments of support from other Latin Americans that felt the same things I did during that game.

There's plenty of regional bickering amongst us but I truely believe that when shit hits the fan we pull for one another. Or I'd like to think that anyway.

5. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002

Century must live in Los Angeles where mexicans love to jump on the brazilian bandwagon

I root for my team and that's it
    if my team is out I hope everybody else loses, especially Brazil

and we dont need nor want no stinking chileans rooting for my team either

6. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You have the same thing from other Latin countries…

If you have a game between an Anglo-saxon team (as we call them in France) like England or the USA against Italy, Portugal, Spain or Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico for eg. 90% of the French will root for the Latin country…

It's true for every sport :D

7. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp.

8. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, it's just one more difference between you and I. The more differences, the better.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Apparently you don't read carefully, as I did allude to my experiences in the New York area.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Uruguay-Chile rivalry?... thought you Chileans really had it vs. Argentina.

11. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    he meant in general, not Chile vs uruguay...

12. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Exactly

13. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    typical brazilian :D

thinking that everybody likes them and roots for them... puajjjjj

and assuming that somebody would read through everything that he writes.....

get a grip...

14. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    In Venezuela, at least when I lived over there (15 years ago) everybody supported Brazil, Argentina (South American), Portugal, Spain and Italy (Big immigrant groups in Venezuela).

I support all of them, as long as they don't piss me off really bad during the WCQ.
    For some time I hated Chile really bad, because Pinilla scored a goal in the game Venezuela-Chile, took his shorts off and put them on his head as he celebrated the goal in "our" stadium.

Now, if I ever had to choose 1 country from Latin America, like most Venezuelans, I would choose Colombia, being our brother nation, actually, should be called our twin nation.

15. Arango82

Arango82 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Venezuela
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I love watching Mexico get the people at Univision excited jsut to let them down in the second stage of the world cup. I feel sorry for that Argentinan bigoton that has to act like he cares about the Mexican NT.

16. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes: said a venezuelan, when was the last time you guys got to the second stage of the world cup,and that argentinan bigoton got good money,i could care less if he likes us or not,we were paying him to coach the team not to like us,and that aplies to any coach.

17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You're asking for too much for him to actually comprehend a post.

As far as your original post/question goes, I do have an affinity personally with other Hispanics in the area: most of my friends are Latinos, like I am, etc..Having said that, during the WC I only support Chile (as far as Latin American countries go): I don't cheer for any other South American teams during WCQ games (and neither do any other South Americans, understandably so) so I follow suit and through with that belief during the actual World Cup. I would not mind if a CONMEBOL team did win the Cup, though.

18. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002

typical chilean...

getting into a conversation that had nothing to do with him

keep your place minnow... go talk to an ecuadorian or a venezuelan

this is between world champions, if/when we need your opinion we'll let you know

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Todavía ardida porque me comí a tu'amá? :) Pobeshita. :)

20. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    Like someone else mentioned, the vast majority of my friends are also Latinos and from a variety of countries.

Personally, i would usually rather see a Latin American country do well when they play a European country. That's the general rule for me and most people i know. overall it speaks well to the level of competition in conmebol, which have the hardest WCQ, and thats always a good thing.

But that is ALWAYS qualified by a few things.

Firstly, the type of soccer they play...i will not find myself cheering for a conmebol or latin american team if i think they suck or play a style i don't like ... really boring teams, like the Uruguayan squads of a few years back, i could not support.

Secondly, if they have a key player or coach that i just don't like i will not support them. That's why this year i do not want to see Argentina do well.

Thirdly, i have a whole list of teams that i will not support ... in fact there are probably more teams i want to see do badly then teams i want to see do well. most of it has to do with negative experiences i've had with people from those countries, or the soccer fans from those countries, or the soccer players.
    - i will never cheer for Mexico, Spain, Greece, or Portugal..

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Good point though I don't apply this to my decisions regarding what teams I am gonna cheer for: you will always find douchebags from any country. Such a rule would prevent one from basically supporting any team at the WC :D, though I see what you're saying.

22. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Aparte de mi selección, quiero que Paraguay y Brasil tengan un buen Mundial.
    De ahí a gritar por ellos, nunca tanto, pero sí prefiero que avancen.

En un hipotético partido Argentina-Uruguay en 8vos de final, creo que apoyaría al más débil (Uruguay).

23. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Veste :D... es capaz de añadir ahora típico peruano creyendo conocer la nacionalidad de todos :p.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interesting.

I think since I emigrated I support all other Latin American teams more than I used to support them back in Argentina. Maybe because we share a common experience as Latino immigrant that is greater than our differences, I do feel a sort of brotherhood to some extent, which I didn't feel as much back when I was in my country where I grew up.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    *chuckles*

Your nickname does you justice, given your behavior... "guri."