Latest on MLS

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by footballer7883, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    I like your optimism, but I also would hate to see Portland posters start to sound like the Miami crowd and a few from Vancouver who guarantee that their city is guaranteed.

I just say we should try to maintain class and goodwill here and curb the hubris until a decision is made. No problem being confident and comments like "it's looking good" are fine but I just hate the "My City is In" (stated as fact) that other supporters chant. Plus it's bad luck.

My opinion at least.

2. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is bad luck, I agree with you, but then again both Portland and Miami have reason to be optimistic, though both of them won't get in this time around I don't think.

3. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Hubris?

How about "I like our chances with the city council" as something slightly more accurate? Whether MLS falls into place afterward is hardly up to me, despite my best efforts. ;)

More important, just because a couple Miami posters keep repeating a lie over and over again doesn't mean ANYONE has to be the thought police for ANYONE ELSE. They don't matter. I don't really matter. I highly doubt any of us are involved in the final decision. So I dare suggest we all relax. Have fun. I'll understand if you don't, but it wouldn't hurt.

4. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Paul, we're all on the same side of things here. I did not mean to offend or be a thought police person. With so many variables I think it's tough for any city's supporters to claim to know where things stand. I personally can't stand the Miami supporters' bravado - it's part and parcel with the used car swaggar that Claure wields at the league. I just believe PDX supporters are better than that by in large.

I also do think that goodwill is still important even in this tiny BS contingent because these are the people that follow the league in their spare time and do have some impact on the reception the ultimate expansion cities will have.

And - not that you came close to the Miami posts - but I guess I just get a little sensitive when my peeps begin to feel too confident in our chances.

Anyway, not that I'm right but just wanted you to know where I'm coming from. RCTID.

5. ericcantona

ericcantona New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    FYI: word coming out of city hall right now is that Saltzman is taking a walk on his commitment to MLS. apparently the money gap is too much, and he's changing his mind on the whole thing.

6. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that, stay in USL1 Portland :D. Im kinda glad Vancouver is leaving the league but I enjoyed watching Portland play on www.usllive.com and Fox Soccer Channel. What do yall think is going to happen?

7. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it'll get worked out and we'll be MLS bound. I'll miss USL First Division though. I wish Eugene was big enough to have a first div club, I'd make the trip regularly.

8. Felixx

Felixx New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland Timbers: NASL... A-League ... USL1 ... MLS ... great history, hope to see you soon.

9. Felixx

Felixx New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course your in Portland .. good luck with MLS and
    too bad you'll be gone from USL1 ... many great memories ... maybe if you stay, USL could grow and one day be an additional major league in the US but, that would be far into the future and I can't say I blame you for moving up now. I believe the Rhinos could make the move with additional partners that have deep pockets but, who would risk all that franchise money to find out? Can't wait to kick your butts in Rochester. Who are the owners of the Timbers; who put up that inflated franchise fee?

10. Felixx

Felixx New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unusual call last night away from the ball and run of play, wouldn't you say. Personally I've never seen that kind of PK call made so late in a match, Have you?

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Rochester's window of opportuntiy has come and gone. Not gonna happen.

Even though it's not the point you were trying to make it is true. It would make little sense to spend big money in Rochester considering where MLS is today.

The guy who put up the money is someone named Paulson. Maybe you heard of him?

Also, even Joey Saptuo has given in. They will be gone soon also.

The window for the USL ever comepting with MLS is starting to shut. Even in the "hopefull" long term.

Unless there are major catastrophese's the line between the USL and MLS are gonna really start to seperate over the next decade.

There are still many cities in the US who need, and who can support the USL. Here is hoping the investors can be found.

Note - Is a price inflated if so many people are willing to play close to it? Remember, it's not just the league and play. It's the sponsers, SUM, TV contracts and stadiums. There is a ton of infrastructure and support behind MLS now.

12. Timber Fanatic

Apr 22, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    To be honest I'd say that at that moment in the game the call caught everyone by surprise.
    But upon further review.......

Watching replay and then listening to Timbers player accounts of the match and incident, (we had a timbers army/players BBQ on Saturday), leads me to believe that while a bit unusual to call it at that point in the match, at least the call could be justified.
    At the BBQ myself and others asked Keel about it to get his thoughts. He said he was surprised to get the call, not because it wasn't a foul, (the guy really hammered me from behind), but because it was well into stoppage time and most of the time someone has to pratically get shot to get a call that late.

It was a foul, it was in the box, it was a hit/fore arm shove to the back of Keels noggin, and it was directly in front of the referee. (why in the name of god would you do that I ask...all Kenton had to do was wait a few seconds until the ref was headed upfield)

I guess the Rhino player (Kenton) was mad because directly before the foul was called Keel had crashed into him. But upon video review, Sancho was the culprit. Sancho crashed into Keel who got knocked into Kenton. I guess Kenton should have gotten up and walloped Sancho!

It was kind of a ugly way to win, but every team in the league has had their share of similar situations. Sometimes you get the call and sometimes you walk off the field feeling you've been completely screwed!

13. Shrute66

Shrute66 New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much good news lately on the stadium deals. This city government can be disfunctional in the best of times. With Mayor Adams in political hot water, this whole thing is appearing very tenuous. Does anybody know specifically what the franchise agreement between Paulson and MLS says about this? I know we're supposed to come to the table with a soccer-specific stadium (or at least one sans baseball), but what about the timing? Does this have to be done before the beginning of the 2011 season? Under what conditions can MLS yank the franchise award, and what opportunity would Paulson have to back out?

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS can yank the award if the Beavers don't GTFO of PGE Park.

They may end up in Vancouver or Beaverton though.

15. Shrute66

Shrute66 New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with that scenario, I've heard, is that the City of Portland won't go along with the PGE Park deal if the Beavers leave the city.

16. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, well then they lose the Timbers too and we're all ********ed. That's also just one of the commissioners and he doesn't want to lose the Beavers, simple as that. Granted it would make the difference. To be honest, if there is a no vote, it'll blow up in their faces.

17. Rowdies1965

Rowdies1965 New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Someone needs to tell Garber and the Goons to hurry up and start pushing their desire to see St. Louis in the MLS again so Portland can get their stadium!

18. ventijohn

ventijohn New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU fan here. I want to thank you guys for Steve Cronin. Even though we missed out on the playoffs, and yeah, even though he was only on our team cause your season was over, he played with courage and grace coming in for Josh Wicks. If we don't see him again next year I wish him and your side good luck!

A grateful fan.

19. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cronin is a great keeper and a great guy for whatever community he is in. He and his fiance have been top notch members of the Portland community for the year. Thanks for taking good care of him.

20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am looking for a document that I saw a few weeks ago pertaining to Portlands bid. It was like a pdf. or a power point. It had a lot of financial stuff involved. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate that at?

21. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, find it again. I haven't seen anything like that in months. Perhaps you saw something none of the rest of us have or something old as shit.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was really cool. It was a bit old because it detail the shirt sponser for every team and how much they make. Had the stadium rights for each stadium. Concession numbers. Just cant find it.

23. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. yabollox

yabollox New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Things are going good. The City are still being dicks but the construction is ready to go. I have seen the stadium plans and they look great. 24,000 capacity. It's going to be the best atmosphere in the MLS.