Latest from Rochester

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by retnicf, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
  2. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a reliable source on the Rhinos Webboards, THE DIGGING HAS BEGUN!!!

3. sams_soldier

sams_soldier New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Can some Rhinos fan give me some information about what the population base to support the Rhinos is ?

My tough defination for that will be the people living within 35 minutes drive from the Stadium.

4. Adi_Dassler

Adi_Dassler New Member

From the 2000 US Census:

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t3/tab03.txt

1 Million in Rochester
    1 Million in Buffalo --60 miles to the West
    .7Million in Syracuse --70 miles to the East

5. sams_soldier

sams_soldier New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Thanks. that should be enough. We will have first soccer town of united states in Rochester and then in Columbus. I hope some kind of crazy rivalry is born between Rhinos and Metros.

6. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also consider that the Syracuse Salty Dogs had an average attendance of 6,885 (8,046 for the ten games in P&C Stadium). For a first year franchise, that's very good. Will Salty Dogs fans travel to Rochester to see the MLS Rhinos? I'd have to let those from the area speculate on that one.

7. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sams_soldier....browse through this thread to see the numbers thing and facts like the number of people who live in Buffalo/Rochester that make the 1hr commute everyday to work in the opposite city.

8. marty94

marty94 New Member

Concerning Rochester's fan base: Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse definitely will all contribute and make up a majority of the fan base, but there are also many people along the Southern Tier (the area along the southern edge of NYS). I live about 1 1/2 hrs from Rochester, directly south of Buffalo. It is still closer to Rochester than it is to Pitt, Cleveland, etc. I, along with many others will make the trek to Pae-Tec Park if Rochester lands an MLS team. Besides the Bills and the Sabres there is nothing else, especially in the summer! Oh, wait we have the Buffalo Bisons - AAA baseball. Like I said, there is nothing in the summer!

9. goosegg

goosegg New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    NYC
    I heard today on National Public Radio ( beleive it or not) that the Rhinos were breaking ground on a new stadium. The main topic of the story was that even though it was 20 below they were still out there at the ground breaking, saying that it took them 5 years and they weren't going to miss out on it because of some cold weather. Now that's a hardcore fan. Hopefully it's a fast track project and they can finish it up in a couple of months.

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Where are you? Olean? Jamestown? I have family up there.

11. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The expectation is that it will take 9 months to complete Phase I of the stadium.

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With virtual expansion candidates like Chivas "somewhere-in-the" USA and "did I say 2005?" Cleveland, I'd say that Rochester has a strong chance of being in the next expansion round, be it 2005, '06 or whenever (2005 expansion is an iffy proposition, let's face facts). I mean, you have a club already, a proven (if not quite as large as MLS would like it to be) fan base, investors (if not quite as deep pocketed as MLS would like them to be) and a stadium (if not quite as large as MLS would like it to be). Despite the blemishes, Rochester is light years beyond anything I've heard coming out of any of the other expansion candidates.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Hey, the Bisons used to be big time in the mid 90's.

14. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not directed to me, but I have family near Jamestown, in Rochester, & on Grand Island.

15. marty94

marty94 New Member

Hey, I don't know how to put the "quote" thing on here, but I am an Oleander. Olean graduatin', Bonnies backin', snow-shovelin' Southern Tierite.

I know the Bisons are a draw, but I am just sick of baseball!

16. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you still live in Olean?

I think people will be surprised to see how far the MLS Rhinos will draw from. Even now you see kids with their jackets and sweatshirts from h.s.'s all over WNY.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Binghamton and I've traveled to watch the Rhinos. Seeing an MLS team in Rochester would be great.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Please take my soccer hating friend at U of Bing to some games... thanx !!! :)

19. furie

furie Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAA by definition, is not big time. nice stadium though.

I'd like to see a MLS team in NYS

20. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So have the Rhinos started stadium construction yet?

I know groundbreaking took place on Jan. 15, but has much happened since then?

21. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Not much. Rochester just completed its second snowiest January on record (29 straight days with snow activity). When I drove through there was backhoe digging out the fire hydrants. I'll try to get over there today to see if there have been any changes. We've actually been above freezing some days this week.

22. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Cleveland is dead, you guys are in. So says Chris Bergin, at least.

So why hasn't there been a peep of activity here in 2 weeks?

The Rochester board should be jumpin'.

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Chris Bergin: the Anglophone answer to La Opinion.

(both quote ppl and publish info b4 verifying)

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that Bergin never said that Rochester is "in", just that MLS is turning its attention that way now that Cleveland is apparently dead.

Sheesh, you guys are as bad with quotes as you think he is.