Latest chicago stadium rumor

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Fanaddict, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was reported that the fire will build a soccer specific stadium in Bridgeview a suburb of chicago and this will be announced near the MLS cup date. Bridgeview apparently beat out a south side chicago location and staying at new Soldier Field past the 2005 season.The new SSS could be ready for the 2006 season.

2. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HUGE NEWS!!!!!!!!!

3. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Where was it reported? I'm hoping this is true, and I do believe you, but I'm just curious. Paper? Net? At Soldier Field?

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Word of mouth I believe.

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh.. Well that's always 100% reliable. :D

6. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol! :D

Seriously though, it's too bad that it may not be in Chicago. That's right by the White Sox ballpark and tons of train and bus lines run by that area. Plus, it's actually IN the city, so it'll give the team more of a city feel, not a suburban, annoying soccer mom feel. Know what I'm sayin?

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in Chicago, it usually is.

8. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    It all depends on whose mouth.

9. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Metroland it has been reported since 1999 that we're getting our own stadium by 2003. I can't wait!!!

(but then again our organization is run by Nick Sakiewicz, and your is run by Peter Wilt)

10. number 22

number 22 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    South Side, Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bridgeview is right outside of the city, i belive it borders the city, but it's still too inconvenient. there's no simple/cheap transit to the area and it is not centrally located.

11. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Doesn't the Fire's lease with Soldier Field call for them staying their for 3 years, or at least paying 3 years rent? I always thought the gameplan was to move somewher in '07.

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Chicagoans, but isn't Bridgeview a blue-collar, working class town?

The link below indicates that the village's median household income is $42,000 and median house value is $140,000.

25% of Bridgeview residents have Polish ancestry, 17% Irish, 15% German, 9% Hispanic, 9% Italian, 7% Arab.

72% of Bridgeview residents 25 or older graduated high school, but only 9% hold a Bachelor's degree or higher.

Not exactly your typical "soccer mom" territory, I'd say.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bridgeview-Illinois.html

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
  14. number 22

number 22 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    South Side, Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Latest chicago stadium rumor

their 'out' clause let's them leave after 2005.

15. Bridgeview is kicking in $75 million in land and improvements. Hard to turn down. Also, it's right of I294 and I55. Not bad driving access. Public transportation is lacking, though.

16. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could some of the $75 million be for public tranportation?

17. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be the cheapest public transportation project in the USA in the last 20 years. :)

18. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL- well I meant buses, etc. Here in Northern Missouri, the only public transportation we have is hitching a ride on the combine as it goes by.

19. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    From a good source: Bridgeview is 95% sure to be the fire home by 2006.

And to those complaining about Bridgeview. I think it is a great place. It may not be as good as the comisky site but I think this is the best deal we could ask for. Naperville also was not ideally located, had bad parking, not near highways, but the fire manage to get 15,000 people in it without to many problems.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one way to look at it. If you consider the stadium to be a 30 year investment, then $75M comes out to $2.5M per year. How can they turn it down? I don't see how a "better" location in Chicago could be worth that.

21. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    There has to be some bond-issuing type activities going on, right?

22. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. No one pays cash in these high finance deals.If I was a multi-billionaire I would just write a check for the full amount. Of course that is probably one reason I'm not a billionaire.

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    More than a year ago I predicted Mayor Reinsdorf would not allow a Firehouse in Chicago. He sure isn't going to allow one in his backyard. My guess is the city is going through the motions but offering no real cash.
    If Bridgeview can float a bond deal why can't Chicago? Chicago has a better credit rating. This is a no brainer, even if MLS folds. Chicagoans currently have to drive to Alpine Valley, Wisconsin and other remote venues to see rock music. Mayor Reinsdorf only lets the bands that he likes play in the Blue Ghost.
    The state football tournament sees many games drawing well and being played in....Naperville. When those stands come down where will they play next year? Chicago does not have a stadium suitable for rock concerts or big high school football games. Soldier Field is locked up due to the 5 day window around Bears games. You can shoehorn a few concerts in but not many. Mayor Reinsdorf has his tax shelter, and the people drive 3 hours to Wisconsin to hear some music.
    Chicago would be way better but Bridgeview is better than nothing, and nothing is what Mayor Reinsdorf will give us.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see it easily being worth that and much more if there's a reasonable amount of growth in the team's popularity because of that.

Problem is that AEG isn't in it for 30 years, they're in it for as long as it takes to sell the club to a qualified investor.

25. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I'm complaining some about Bridgeview, but only because it's my second choice. It's still going to be a great deal better than Naperville and NSF (even though it will be a crummy drive for me personally).

I'm reading Bridgeview in 2006, but I thought only a Chicago proper site could get them out of the NSF lease before 2007.