Last nights Montreal-Portland game.

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Krammerhead, Jul 1, 2005.

1. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the hell was Josh Saunders? The beer garden? I mean, that was almost from the halfway line!

2. Theseofam

Theseofam Member

Feb 10, 2005
    It looks like the GK slipped? What was the fight all about?

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Apparently the Portland players were upset that the Montreal players were running down to the Timbers Army section to celebrate and gloat, and the Portand players got in the way of them to not let it happen and shoving started. Now I've seen the Impact score goals in Vancouver and their players are over exuberant when they score but perhaps this time they were just reacting to the Portland fans actions. Afterall the Timbers Army always have their "frog" chants ready for Montreal and have in the past had a kermit the frog doll hanging from the end of a stick (which apparently they planned to do again last night) so I could see why the Montreal players might have wanted to irritate the TA. Afterall calling a french person a frog is no different, at least in Canada, than other racial slurs (yes I know it's not racial but it's still a slur). Hanging a frog on a stick in your supporters section is just as bad as those fans that throw bananas onto the field in other countries when they want to insult black people.

4. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Looked like the Impact were miffed that Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar wouldn't move out of the way of their celebration convoy.

5. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Is it just me, or is the "New USL-1" wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more interesting than that bland MLS product?

Player bites.
    Near riots.

MLS is sooooo boring by comparison. :)

6. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And look at the table!!!

7. Viking

Viking New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think the Montreal player was attempting to run into the goal to retrieve the ball. He went directly to the middle of the goal, where he was held up. If he were going to taunt the fans I believe he would have run to one side or the other of the goal to get closer to the stands.

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's give credit to Zach "Chocolate Thunder" Thorton, who likes to cream players that dig the ball out of his net.

9. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    This is SO true!

10. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    No, the player gestured to his team mates to join him in front of the Timbers Army section and a bunch of Impact players gathered at the end line. I assume they wanted to taunt the TA for their vulgar "you suck **************" chants at their goalkeeper, lynched frog and other dopey TA "cleverness".

Frankly this doesn't surprise me; I just wonder why something like this didn't happen sooner.

11. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

By the way, speaking of the "you suck a**hole" chant the Timbers Army does when the opposition keeper takes a goal kick, I'm continually amazed that the Timbers radio broadcast doesn't turn off the audio before that happens. Listeners can hear the chant clearly and it seems that the play by play guy even stops talking during goal kicks in order to let the fans at home hear what is being said.

12. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, you can clearly see him motion to his compadres to follow him. That's when he deserved a punch to his face, thinking he was dealing with a small town team in front of small town fans. (don't mean to put down, but you know what I mean) He learned his lesson and Hugo is hero to all! He stood up for his team and fans and it was all class! If that doesn't help bring up the teams morale for the future matches after such a slump, who knows what will.

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bottom line, the Impact won an important road game. :)

14. Guelah Papyrus

Guelah Papyrus New Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Fairport, NY
    I'm sure that Allison saw it as a misguided pass that somehow found the back of the net.....;)

15. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    I missed the shot until I saw the ball bouncing in the back of the net... because Glen Myernick had slipped in right next to me and a bunch of us were talking to him. He ended up saying "oh no" to alert me to proceedings. I did see the somewhat bogus call leading to the free kick.

I heard someone else mention that the ball started off as if it were bending into the mixer, then knuckled away into the net. Still, it looks like Josh had a concentration lapse, which has popped up once or twice lately.

16. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Guelah Papyrus doesn't really care about the goal. Just wanted another chance to take a cheap shot at me.

How's the MLS bid going guys? Anything we can do to help speed that up?

17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This win will definitely set them up for a big match against Richmond Wednesday. Good luck Impact. :)

18. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe what you were trying to say is: "long prayer shots that a player rarely hits even in practice"

Now back to the topic at hand, Montreal in a fight? NOOO. I wouldn't believe it in a million years.

19. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Of course winning is the "bottom line." Since class and sportsmanship don't appear in the box score, getting a result no matter how or by what methods (see Diego Maradona) seems to be the final arbitor.

20. Eric Berg

Eric Berg New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland, Oregon
    Against Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, it's "You suck **************!...Eh?" ;)

The Montreal match wasn't the first time visiting players taunted Timbers Army. I'm sure it won't be the last. But most visting players and coaches appreciate the enthusiasm of TA and what we contribute to the Park's atmosphere. Most teams like playing in Portland because of TA and the atmosphere we create. We've even had a keeper applaud us after a match for chanting 'Singapore Prison Whore!" at him.

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    A couple of things:

1. What's the surface that the team was playing on? Is that NexTurf or Astro?

2. MORE COWBELL!!!!

3. And this is in PGE Park, yes?

22. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Lutz Pfannestiel is the keeper that you were talking about. In Vancouver we sung "Pfannestiel, pfannensteil tell us how your rectum feels".

For those that don't know former Calgary keeper Lutz Pfannenstiel spent 3 months in Sinagapore jail in 2001 after being framed for throwing games by a Malaysian bookie. Apparently he was suspected of throwing 3 games. In his favour was the fact that he won all three of those games.

23. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

PGE Park has NextTurf, but it is so bad that it resembles and plays like astroturf.