Last League match: Chelsea vs Wolves

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A remarkable season for a team I had moderate expectations for (top 8). We made it interesting, but considering how much change we faced at the beginning of the season, it's exciting to think about the future of this club.

I can't see a way back for Kepa now. I am a fan of his and think he's gotten a bad reputation. GK's are always easy to blame. Our team made so many of the same mistakes today. Jorg, James, etc all gave away balls. Wolves were just not good enough to capitalize.

As you watch this, it's fun to note how badly our defense was broken for each chance.
    0:29: jesus
    0:39: ********ing hell
    1:43: nice closing down
    1:58: team forgot sport they were playing (but let's hold our hands up)

Keystone cops defending.

JimWharton, lobomojo and Yahtzee repped this.
  2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Favourite stat of the day is that Mount is the second english player to score a direct free kick for Chelsea in the premier league.

The other is his gaffer.

Tidy.

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It is decidedly brutal that we’ll have given up on such an expensive, promising player on the basis of one poor season which he had zero protection in front of him. As many “savable” shot as he let in, he has had very few outright errors. A shame too considering he had won his place back right before the pandemic hit and put in a couple of rock solid performances. Who knows, maybe we just sign a veteran to act as firm competition for him. Would be a total waste to break the bank (again) to replace him imo.

As you pointed out, this team is a total nightmare defensively. We saw it again today. If Jorginho doesn’t get sold and replaced with someone competent and we don’t sign a good CB, we are in for a weird next season. Hope Werner and co are up to scoring at least 3 a game because as it stands we will 100% repeat a savage # of goals concede no matter who we have between the sticks.

4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Last time I mentioned Kepa I got lambasted for it but f*ck it I need to voice my concerns (isn't that the point of this site). I don't blame him for the sh*t show the defence has been this year however he had THE lowest shot/save ratio in the league but it's not just that that he has struggled with, also he doesn't come for crossess and he has no command in his box, if we're stuck with him he has to improve, we need another younger keeper than Caballero for our first/second choice Goalie.

Boris10 and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The thing is - I don't think anyone disagrees with this. Brock, myself and others do stress that the team is a shitshow in midfield and at the back.

Willy, while unbothered today, was about a full second delayed in reacting to that cross on goal. Guy's feet were rooted to the ground. There 10000% needs to be more competition for a spot as starter. I mean ********.. remember having Cudicini backing up Cech? With even Hilario being able to step up as 3rd string?

Yeah, we definitely need to be better at both 1 and 2.

Boris10 repped this.
  6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nuno Espirito Santo looks like a wizard in a bad medieval movie. Or a time traveler who has come to our time period to stop something grave. Either way, they're getting made fun of on Mystery Science Theater 3000/Rifftrax. In relation to Wolves, Traore's shorts are meant more for bodybuilding and not football. But fair play to him, if I was built like that, I'd show off too. And I say this as someone who is in good shape.

Strange season, but we are right where we need to be. I have high hopes for Pulisic and Tammy next season. Adding Werner and Ziyech will make things interesting for sure. I like Giroud but he is no spring chicken.

As for Kepa, he struggles to do even the basics, which is you know, bad. Yes, our defense has had issues, but it's telling that we looked more assured with Caba. I wonder how much the lack of communication is coming from Kepa. We were also spoiled for nearly 20 years going from De Goey, Cudicini (Good lord the price we paid was highway robbery), Cech (with Cudicini backing him up), to Courtois. I mean, Jesus that's just spoiled right there when it comes to keepers.

Let's win the FA Cup and regroup after what's been a crazy year.

Dr_Intoxicated and Rman3349 repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    As others have said, there’s no way back for Kepa now. Manager benches you on the last and most important must-win game of the season. Maybe it’s like Morata. Good kid, talented, just needs to go somewhere else to make it work.

10. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With Kepa it's not just one bad season it's two. Right from when he was signed he looked out of place in the premiere league. I was prepared to give the guy a chance to learn. Young lad in new league in a new country and all that. Pressure of record fee.

Midway through last season it seemed obvious to many in the Lower West stand that he was a rather expensive mistake. I am just surprised that it has taken so long for it to be recognised. It must be due to the different perspective you get in the ground.

I hope that he has indeed played his last game for the club.

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I never thought about it that way - the way it's seen in real life compared to TV.

He looks a good keeper (he won the Europa League and ********ed with Sarri, mind you) and kept us in the FA Cup singlehandedly. There's talent there.

As for the shot/save percentage - of course it's going to be bad when all your midfield and defense does is let the other team rip shots at you left and right.

He's kept us in more games than he's lost us. Ederson would look just as bad back there.

lobomojo repped this.
  12. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    well many argue it's due to him being exposed so often by our defense, but i would argue that we know more about Kepa because he does get exposed as well. it's a double edge sword, it's almost as if the sample size is bigger because he's in action more, granted that sample size is skewed.

it doesn't really matter to me. personally i think it's clear that we have different problems, one is a poorly performing defensive line and a particular deep lying midfielder that gets run past all the time, the other a keeper that isn't terrible but that is clearly not good enough and we know enough about him now to know we made a mistake unfortunately.

Brock Hannsen repped this.
  13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    truefan420 and Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sweet strike by the lad as well. A lot of Frank's ones were more power and placement...

Mind you, they all count.

lobomojo repped this.
  16. Boris10

Boris10 Member

Chelsea
    England
    Sep 25, 2019
    I didn't know Bolton played at Craven Cottage. In Fulham kits.