Las Vegas is viable

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DANNO49, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    to me, the question is why would it be otherwise? it's not just about what MLS would like.

New York is one thing. as far as we know, NYRB paid more than any prior team too but it went down after that.
    so even if they set 100 mil or whatever for New York, i don't expect owners from other markets to start offering that.

those fees have been in the 40 mil range for a while now, since the Whitecaps basically. And it's been in the 30-35 mil range for many years till Vancouver.
    it would be insane to expect NY city fee from an ownership group in Vegas (or pretty much anywhere else), especially after they bleed out 650 mil on facilities.

Another thing - the SUM sale deal. I haven't heard anything about it since last year. Did they sell any piece of it? Either way, if they do, it brings down the equity new owners get. I'm not sure even 40 mil would be justified in that case right away.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "for many years", you mean "two years," yeah.

Actual recent expansion fees:

Chivas USA (2004) - $10M + $15M territorial fee to Galaxy
    Salt Lake (2004) - $10M
    Toronto (2005) - $10M
    San Jose (2005) - $20M
    Seattle (2007) - $30M
    Philadelphia (2008) - $35M
    Portland (2009) - $40M
    Vancouver (2009) - $40M
    Montreal (2010) - $40M

You might get $100M for NY2. No one would expect you'd get $100M for Las Vegas or Orlando or Atlanta or anybody but NY2. But the next team might be the last one for a while, so there's that. It actually works to MLS' benefit, as they don't have to go past 20, to sit there and let the value of the enterprise be demonstrated.

3. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    i typed 30-40 mil actually but then split it into two sentences. so yeah, the end product is clumsy

4. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    well, either that won't happen, or the Vegas group has another plan for this arena. you don't just spend that much private money blindfolded.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ask St. Petersburg.

6. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    you need to explain or link, no idea what you are talking about. they built an expensive soccer stadium?

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Day's gonna come when some city presents MLS with owner+venue+fee, and MLS says "we'll have to think about it."

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontiac, Mich. approves this message.

9. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I imagine the franchise might go for something like $50m if Vegas does go for it as is looking increasingly likely. Since the last expansion there has been the NBC deal, a season of record attendances, a new CBA which didn't increase the wage cap massively and avoided free agency for players and the league has nearly reached it's temporary cap of #20 (although I'm prone to suggest this will be more likely 21/22 despite what comes out of the league HQ). I think that's enough to push it up another $10m. The only thing which hasn't really seen any improvement is the TV ratings. I still think $100m for NYC2 is utterly ridiculous even in the NYC market.

10. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with you I believe the cap number is 22 not 20. They still to need deal with the Beckham franchise (rumored to be Miami), the courting of Orlando and NY2 (which I think may become less likely if Las Vegas enters the picture with a shiney new stadium and an ownership group willing and able to paid). If you have noticed it has become very quite on the Cosmos front as of late.

11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Vegas they have been blindly spending money for years, funny that up until about 4 years ago that business plan was working.

Have to think that a first class soccer venue in vegas would get a lot of help in promting events from those many huge hotels and resorts.

12. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    i found the thought of a super expensive soccer stadium (of all things) with no plan whatsoever too ridiculous for any place where people still care about money.
    It sounds like something Soviets would've done, or something Chinese government would do as they are known to spend billions this way.

anyway, so i looked back at the article if it's there's any mention that it's SSS....

... and i came to conclusion that it's not a stadium.
    i believe they are talking about a basketball/hockey type arena. that's the 650 mil one.
    and then the plan involves a soccer stadium and community fields. But they don't elaborate.
    For all we know, it might be an 8k D2 stadium.

it makes sense. there's a ton of use for an elite 17k arena in Vegas. concerts, boxing, NBA All Star game and random NBA/NHL games. they might even court an NBA team but I don't think that's even necessary to fill the schedule.
    a pricey indoor SSS without a tenant or some arrangement with USSF would make way less sense.

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a stadium complex, 3 different stadiums, tennis facilities and 20 plus soccer pitches. I'm starting to think the 17k number may refer to the arena not the SSS. Every thing else I've read has that figure of 25k for the soccer stadium.

14. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    interesting stuff. then it would be 4 different stadiums even, since in that last article they specifically mention NFL and MLB stadiums.

15. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold on let me get my bearings.

1) Soccer stadium.
    2) Basketball arena (and other events)
    3) Baseball park (Milam owns a minor league team)
    4) American football stadium (that must be for multi-use)
    5) Tennis facilities.
    6) Practice fields for soccer and other activities

I think that's right.

I'd prefer this development not to have a American football stadium tbh. UNLV is building a new stadium that could feasibly host big games. There's no point in having two in the city. I don't think we'll attract an NFL team for a couple decades so at least with the UNLV project they already have a permanent tenant and have the ability to host games like the Pro Bowl or something.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/16169051/unlv-stadium

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is now called Tropicana Field. Built despite having no assurances they would get an MLB team. They finally did, but not for many years, and the team has no interest in staying.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if he actually exercises that option (subject to the actual language, which none of us has seen).

That should read "courting by Orlando."

Cosmos (tee hee) won't be the only possible NY group, just the one that tweets the most. And even a Vegas group that comes to the table with everything (assuming it's not vaporware) doesn't make NY2 less likely, seeing as how the league is quite intent on having a team in NY and it has no absolute limit of 20 teams.

Now, a perceived limit...that's good for business.

18. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I personally don't think the big NFL stadium will ever get built, I think it's just another potential carrot to dangle in front of Henderson councilmen and women to make them more likely to vote for the deal. The MLS stadium, minor league baseball stadium and NBA arena I can easily see happening but there doesn't seem to be much need for the NFL arena for the reasons you've already said. 25k is more than enough to host exhibition soccer friendlies and given Vegas' size a big NFL stadium might be a step too far at the moment.

19. lala1174

lala1174 Member

May 11, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be the biggest road trip for almost all the teams especially those in the Eastern Conference who only go there once every 2 years.

I hope they build the soccer stadium at 17.5k seats. In helps with demand and atmosphere and ticket revenue. In Phase 2 they have a Gridiron Football stadium planned. They can play 2 or 3 'big' matches (RSL, Galaxy etc) there similar to what the Galaxy are planning with AEG's stadium at Farmer's Field.

20. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote Alice things are getting curisor and curisor, But a stadium anywhrere is the main thing:):confused:

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like that.

22. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Chivas USA is looking for a stadium. And Vegas is building one. A match made in Heaven? Maybe that is their answer.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey the Las Vegas Galaxy has a nice ring to it ;)

24. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem with that is Las Vegas is about five hours north east of where Chivas USA want to build a stadium and have said they're not leaving.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States