Lark Chastain

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by ggayle, Sep 8, 2002.

1. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
  2. Socceroo

Socceroo New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    CA
    That link didn't work for me. In case others are having the same problem, try this link:

Lark Chastain, 56, mother of San Jose soccer star

I, too, am saddened by this news. Like most, I heard it as it was mentioned before yesterday's USWNT game. God bless her.

--Socceroo

3. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    The Lark Ascending

This is terrible news! Only 56 years old. At least she lived to see her daughter succeed. Solzhenitsyn writes in The Cancer Ward that a parent who sees a child succeed has not failed in life.
    Rest easy Lark!!!

4. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    i think it would be fair to say all of WUSA and womens soccer lost someone special this weekend.

she was a great supporter of women's soccer and the WUSA...all WUSA supporters should take time out and show their condolences to the chastain family. i personally knew nothing of her except the fact that she was chastains mother but from what i read it seems that the world could have used a few more Lark Chastains and as i said on the Charge fourm, brandi is a class act and it takes a good upbringing to make such a class act.

My condolences to the Chastain family.

5. John T

John T New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    South Jersey
    My condolences to the Chastain family.

As g4m said, you need good parenting to have class and Brandi certainly has that in my opinion. When Smith went down this year, I was impressed more than I can say by Brandi's reaction and efforts to stop play and get Kelly medical attention. That says a lot about a person and I can only hope I do as good a job when I have children.

Thank you and rest in peace, Lark.

6. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Would it be OK if maybe some of us fans were to send a few letters or notes to Brandi and/or the Rays about this? Part of me thinks it would go appreciated, part of me thinks it's not necessary and maybe a little too much. I don't know. What do ya'll think? I'd like to at least let her know that us fans are really pulling for her and her family right now.

7. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. soccerobsessee9

soccerobsessee9 New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Rensselaer, Indiana
    I hope it's okay...because I sent out a little care package for her this morning. I didn't even mention the tragedy at all, really, in the card, I just said God Bless, and a few other things to that nature.
    I wouldn't think any of the letters would need to go into big detail like saying sorry over and over, etc., but I think cards would be a nice thing to do.
    Think of how it would be if it were your mother...would you mind getting cards from people showing their support? It's your call.

9. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed the e-book. Thanks!

I suggest we link this page on the CyberRays page, or hopefully someone in the team brass is reading this page or knows about this. Just to be sure if someone can do that, it would be appreciated.

TishaVench15, I wouldn't fret too much about saying a lot. Whatever is to your liking. When things happen, there is the outpouring of love and support that takes place and with someone like Brandi, it's going to be a lot! I remember when a lot of people sent letters (no net at the time) when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar lost stuff in a fire, and the emails started to hit when Saku Koivu was hit with cancer. It's just how it goes.

Nap

10. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    I got an email from Jody thanking me for sending an e-message..

off C'rays site There will be a service of memorial and celebration of the life of Lark Chastain, CyberRays team mom, at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Mission Santa Clara de Asis on the campus of Santa Clara University. Lark, mother of CyberRays captain Brandi Chastain, died in her sleep early Saturday morning. .. I might go

11. miasman1

miasman1 New Member

I also got one from Jody. And if anyone needs some appropiate music:
    Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven

12. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto...

There is still time to sign the condolence book at the CyberRays website... I'm hoping Guy, Bruce, and the rest got theirs in...

13. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    I never had the opportunity to meet Lark, but I did meet Brandi in Columbus when the women played some post-world cup matches in '99. From what I've read about Lark, I would've been just as honored to meet her. My deepest sympathies to Brandi and her family. :(

14. Chiefs

Chiefs New Member

Dec 21, 2001
    On the eve of Lark's funeral and on a day of sorrow with Sept 11th...I wonder again, why good people leave us. Here are my thoughts:

1. - There is someone in Heaven that needed some support after a tough loss...so God needed Lark.

2. - There is someone in Heaven who is cold...so God needed Lark to give them a hug.

3. - God needed an angel and an advocate to watch over the WUSA league...so he appointed Lark.

4. - God is throwing a big party and needed Lark to make some margaritas...

There is always a reason for everything...

15. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

(Aimer still got that sign?)

16. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    I cut out the signature and "Columbus Rocks" part and kept it. The rest had to be sacrificed when I made the move to SoCal due to space constraints.

I received a nice email from the c-rays today :)

17. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    For any of those who will attend the memorial service, it'd be nice if you give us folks a little information on how it was. I hope some of you got to attend, it sounds very worth while.

18. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awwwe. that was perfect. the whole part is all Lark especially the margaritas

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    This may piss some off...

I mentioned this in the KK thread several days ago regarding this...

I don't know about anyone else...but I think I am the only one that finds it somewhat not cool to advertise the time and location of the memorial service. To me something like that should be kept private and low key and not meant for the internet viewing public.

I realize 99.9% of the folks that saw this on the Cyberrays website and decide to attend this service are very normal and very respectful. But don't lie to me and deny the fact that there is that .1% that will go to her service for the wrong reasons...like hoping to catch a glimpse and take pics of Mia, Brandi, Foudy, etc. *insert rant on overzealous fans*

And you know damn well some idiot is either gonna post their experiences of going to this thing on some message board like BS or they'll hop on AIM ....

StalkerFan: OMG...I just got back from Lark Chastain's memorial service!!!
    IdiotIdahoMiaFan: Uhhhh...OK.
    StalkerFan: Almost the entire USWNT was there! It was soooo cool dude!
    IdiotIdahoMiaFan: You have no respect for the family you fuggin' idiot!

When we held my dad's viewing I sat there in the funeral home and saw people come in and out and I've never ever met them before in my life. I just found it weird to have strangers to me and my mom attend something so intimate and meaningful to us.

20. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No, you're not the only one. I too was quite surprised to see it so publicly announced.

21. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    i agree, most services like this are kept private just to keep the jerks fear discribed out of there. but if they dont see a problem who are we to second guess

22. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to presume there was a private service with a mass and funeral with the family and only them and few close members. I would prefer to keep it that way.

I'm thinking this is a time to talk, reflect, and honor the deceased. It's much more informal, and it's a way to handle the hoards of people.

If a memorial is made public, then obviously a lot of people are going to show up. You are going to get the jerks/stalkers/bozos/paparazzi/hooligans etc who will have to be there because. However, there are the majority of fans who care a lot so if the team chooses to post, then that's fine.

There's a time and place for everything... most definitlely the fans in their right mind are going to pay their respects--IT IS NOT THE TIME TO ASK FOR AN AUTOGRAPH, TAKE PICTURES, and so forth! this is supposed to be a somber ceremony--act accordingly... and this is a day after 9-11...

23. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    I hope that my previous post didn't lead any of you to think that I was after anything but a basic overview of how Lark was honored. No ridiculous tidbits or whatnot, that was not my intent and purpose. I was curious in how Lark was honored.
    I'm assuming that this was a public memorial that the Rays posted on their site and that Lark's personal circle also attended a private ceremony of their own. Those who did attend today's event for the wrong reasons know it and God knows it. I have enough respect and confidence in all that post here who went to it, went to it for the right reasons.

24. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    My guess is that the CyberRays were trying to be as open and honest with the public as they could be... out of respect..and out of grief.... The loss of Lark is one beyond words for that organization.. and I'm sure it was just a small measure of their hearts on the web site.

How do you communicate to others who may have known her when a celebration of life is going to take place?

I'm also guessing that their intent was not to attract people whose actions may deter from the intent of the memorial service. I honestly cannot imagine it coming into their minds..

It's also likely that a memorial service time and schedule/location would have been announced in the SJ Mercury..and therefore would have been public knowledge... the article (first one) noted that the arrangements were not available.. and so it was likely a way of respecting and updating info...

Here's to faith that it's going well..and that the integrity of the service and those who are involved are being respected by all..

I hope it's a time of great healing..

She's an amazing person.... one who treated me to more fun and excitement than I had expected at a game... soo far from SJ.

25. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to think when the same thing happened to other well known people, there was that same outpouring of support at their services.

It's just human nature. For every 1 jerk there is, there are 99 of those who know the meaning of class and respect.

Again, I am going to presume there was something that was private and closed to everyone and this was made to handle the greater droves of people and supporters.