Lark Chastain

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by ggayle, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of years ago during a rainy afternoon in San Jose. I was tailgating with the Casbah and Sam's Army boys getting ready for a doubleheader game Quake/Crew and the U.S. womens team vs. Brazil. The women were having their sendoff game before going off to the 2000 Olympics. I had my Sam's Army shirt on and we had gathered a nice size group to cheer on the women (although it didn't hurt that the Quakes were playing as well). I was walking to my car, when a woman approached me. She thanked me for being a part of Sam's Army and showing up to give visible support for women's team. Then she introduced herself as Brandi's mom. :)

They announced on the USWNT broadcast today that Lark Chastain died in her sleep days ago. I've gotten to talk to her on several occasions, and really enjoyed her lighthearted, but honest conversations. The last time I talked to her she was at the 'Rays game the day her daughter was off with the US team on her birthday.

"It was 34 years ago today, that I was trying to get that girl out of me..." was what I remembered her saying. I told her that it was a week later that my mom was doing the same thing for me.

Lark you will be deeply missed.

2. SoCcErHyPeR 2

SoCcErHyPeR 2 New Member

Aug 6, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    We will all miss you Lark.. your beautiful smile, your kind heart and your great personality. RIP.

3. CRays6

CRays6 New Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Lark's bright smile and wit will be greatly missed.

4. No Society

No Society New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Miami
    RIP Lark, you will always be remembered.

5. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when i first met Lark at Siri's first game on the full national team. She was awesome the coolest person. She will be soooo much missed. I know sitting with the families will be wierd w/o her.

6. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    This took me totally by surprize. When they announced it I was like.. "whaaaaaa..??!!"

Was her mom sick? Or was this totally unexpected? I hadn't heard anything about her being ill. This is really sad. I'm sure it just won't be the same for her to not have her mom in the stands anymore.

God bless 'em both.

Norma

7. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Norma, I am asking myself the same questions that you are. I don't remember hearing anything about her being sick, but it is a possibility.

Today, I have a new-found respect for her daughter.
    This organization lost a great fan and supporter of the game. I hope the CyberRays will honor her in some way. God bless her family.

8. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is...

:( :(

We'll miss you. From the quiet yet spirited fan...

I remember her as a nice lady who came to the USWNT/CyberRays games... always was honored at the Mother's Day games... she will be missed...

Maybe for next season/friendly at the least the yellow armband or a patch/ribbon--something that's common when teams mourn...

9. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    wow....what shocking news. Lark will be missed! I never met her but it seems like she had the same vibrant personality her daughter has! I'm sure Brandi will carry on that trait with honor...it must be so hard for her rite now! Rob Stone was talkin about how she's a rock on and off the field..and he is so rite! One of the reasons I love Brandi so much! We need to stick behind her as much as possible in a time like this!

10. TishaVench15

TishaVench15 New Member

Sep 29, 1999
    Florida
    Beth, you should know that I've read some pretty nice words about Brandi coming from those who aren't so keen on her. Brandi really stepped it up today and nobody will forget that anytime soon.

Lark was only 56 years old. The only comfort that can be found in this is that she passed away in her sleep, which most consider to be the best way to go. We have another soccer angel now. :)

11. Number1MacFan02

Number1MacFan02 New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    The Big D!
    Brandi, i feel bad for you. Lark will be DEEPLY, really missed. I wish you the best Brandi!

12. My brother Dwight and I had chance to talk to Brandi before the game against the Charge in San Jose. We thanked her for "introducing" us to the league via an interview with Bob Costas before the inaugural season (We bought our Charge season tickets the next day). Before she made her way to the field, Brandi invited us to stop by the tailgate with the purple table. Marlene Bjornsrud, who was walking with Brandi in the "FanZone", explained that this was the Chastain family tailgate. Brandi said that everyone was welcomed, "Even though you're wearing the wrong team's colors". At the time, we decided not to "infringe" on the CyberRays tailgate. Unfortunately, we missed out on meeting a woman that many have referred to as "The Ultimate Soccer Mom". Needless to say, my brother and I will never again pass on an opportunity like this.

Brandi, my brother and I would like to pass on our sincere condolences to you and your family in your time of need. I'm sure that your mother's pride will follow you for your entire life.

Scott and Dwight McCleery
    Philadelphia "Chargefans"

13. Number1MacFan02

Number1MacFan02 New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    The Big D!
    thanks for the article!

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks CRays6!

Really have to feel for her and the clan... there's a reason why I have clamored to Brandi being the local girl here instead of Mia...

I'm very sure Lark appreciated the spirit from Sam's Army, the guys with the drums and the scarves, and the kids following the games...

No need to fret--we're all fans like everyone else... the big thrill is seeing the games, and even the player's kin thanking us is great enough, just like getting the high five and thanks from the players...

I'm hoping Marianne would do something for next season--it would be a great tribute...

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    On behalf of the Charge forum....

Our condolences to the Chastains on Lark's passing.

Paul

16. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    My sincere condolences to Brandi and the Chastain family. I have always had a deep respect for the way Brandi carries herself on and off the field. Today that respect and admiration more than doubled. I know first hand that one of the hardest things to ever have to deal with in life is the unexpected lose of a parent. To see her go out there and play in tribute to her mother is amazing and inspiring. I bet Lark was proud of her daughter today.

God bless you Lark

17. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have never met Lark...I have not even seen how she looks like before. But what I do know is that she touched a lot of hearts and was a friendly, easy going, bright and wonderful person.

My deepest sympathy goes to the Chastain family in this time of hardship.
    May Lark Chastain Rest In peace.

18. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    In my first ever WUSA match last season...Beat v Cyberrays at Spartan...I got to see first hand the way Brandi interacts with the fans. It was truly amazing. I got to have her take a pic with me when the Cyberrays did their pre-match walk through in the parking lot. And afterwards I got her to sign my "WUSA1" license plate and she was so happy to see something like that. FWIW...Nap was standing next to me when all of this was going on. And then Brandi spoke to the folks around our area and thanked them for coming out to the match and for supporting the team and the league. And I thought to myself...what a class act.

And my friends on the other side of the country have pretty much experienced the same thing when talking to her.

I'm not gonna pretend that I somehow "know" Brandi or her mother Lark. That's ridiculous of me to think so. But I have experienced the loss of a parent (January 1996) so I definately know how hard it is to move on with your life days after something that tragic happens. What Brandi and her USWNT family did today was truly awesome.

RIP Lark Chastain.

19. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    This article was written in 1999, but I've never seen it before now. Lark has been a huge part of the WNT for a really long time now, and that will be missed! Anyway, here it is:

A Successful Science Project

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/soccer/longterm/worldcup99/articles/psych29.htm

20. YOMITTS

YOMITTS New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    My Condolences to Brandi and her family.The fact that Brandi played today show how much she loved her mom. Lark would not have it any other way.

21. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    My condolences to Brandi and her family. I've lost a parent who was relatively young, and I can certainly sympathize with what the family is going through.

22. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Lark. She was great. Always making sure that everyone had all their plans ready for the game. even going down to making sure they everyone had their outfits ready. She will be missed greatly by a lot of people.

23. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a complete shock to me. The birthday comment I made in my post took place in late July. The day of the USWNT in Blaine. She, her husband, and son were tailgating as always (making their special purple adult beverages :)), and she came over to talk with us Rayistas about the game and how the team played that day.

I had a hard time watching the game yesterday. You could tell it how much it effected everyone during the broadcast from the team, to Rob Stone.