laopinion: Club America close to buying Earthquakes & rename SJ to Club America USA.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Kqql, Nov 4, 2003.

1. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
  2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lame...

Sorry to youm then.

But each one of these threads contain a "Garber better (or better not) ..." when he's not theguy making the decision.

The investors are.

3. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
  4. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    LA Times is reporting Club America close to buy SJ almost complete by end of year and Chivas USA and America USA (Club America president said Club word remove and now America USA?) want early MLS entry in 2004 instead of 2005 where they conference in Beverly Hills, CA yestersday.

5. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America [​IMG][​IMG] Chivas

6. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    How about Club Boarders,Language, Culture SC.

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Galaxy would be right in the middle!

8. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: lame...

No need.

MLS:

Mexican League Soccer

9. JBReynolds

JBReynolds Member

Aug 30, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...,814206.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-soccer

The story consists mainly of quotes attributed to Vergara and the head of Club America by La Opinion. There's no orginal reporting there.

10. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not original, but it still sucks...

America USA? that is so f-c#ing gay. why dear Lord??? WHY?!?!?!?!

:( <-- me in the land without smiles...

11. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    WTF!!

Some numb nut said something about tacky jersey. That's a mighty fine jersey is all I have to say.

[​IMG]

12. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lame...

The investors are the ones making the decisions but do not underestimate the authority of the league commissioner.

Garber by all accounts has been a great commissioner for this league. He helped orchestrate "SUM", and is it's acting president.

True that AEG and the investors are the one's making the long-term decisions but let's not believe that Garber is just merely a sock-puppet. He does have a heavy hand in the decision making process.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lame...

I never said I underestimated him. I said don't overestimate his power.

He doesn't sign the checks. So people shouldn't sat "Garber" when they mean "the league." As much as I like and respect what the guy has done, he hasn't done it alone.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: WTF!!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The Club America jersey does look nice, but whether or not CA runs (or co-runs) the Quakes, these are the only jerseys that the San Jose Earthquakes should be wearing for the forseeable future:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Except that someone already made that joke about 3 pages ago.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

I hope Club America buys the Quakes so that we can look forward to more of this kind of thing!

But Northside is right: Club America USA does sound redundant. Club America of San Jose - or CASJ for short - would be good.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp San Jose Earthquakes would be even better.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Or the Clash or you are a traditionalist.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm a traditionalist, as my sig would indicate. :cool:

-G

20. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This situation is different than the Chivas situation. Club America are owned by Televisa, a huge TV company in Mexico. They would be IMHO a much more solid investor than Vergara. I think they can market the team well enough without having to resort to gimmicks.

Plus, I think Chivas is in a better position to pull off the "Mexican" gimmick than Club America is due to their historically nationalist character as opposed to America's tradition of being cosmopolitan, upper-class, and open to foreigners. Club America is popular and all, but they are just a club, whereas Chivas is a lot more than that (or at least they think they are).

- Paul

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: lame...

Mostly Latinos Baseball

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just to expand a little on this point - Grupo Televisa of Mexico is the largest Spanish-language media company in the world and one of the largest media companies in the world period. Particularly interesting for us is that Televisa also has an equity stake in Univision Communications in the US, which includes Univision, the largest Spanish-language network in the US, as well as the TeleFutura and Galavision networks, among other media properties.

It's obviously all just speculation at this point, but getting Televisa involved with MLS may also help get MLS back on the Univision nets. There's no telling at this point how any of this America in MLS thing turns out, but there's some pretty interesting potential upside to mix in with all the potentially worrisome stuff.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BERSERKER!!!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Unlike Chivas, Club America employs "gringos" as well in Mexico, so there's little reason to believe that the 2003 Western Conference champions will be completely overhauled (besides, that would be just plain stupid) or the team-name changed.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But... oh wait... when did Bayer Leverkusen come into the San Jose ownership picture?!? [​IMG]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "MLS expansion plans are still a work in progress."

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Hmm... this gets more and more interesting/convoluted by the minute. [​IMG]

-G

25. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    Chivas USA
    America USA
    Bayer USA

these r the worst names EVER. these people need to stop forcing USA into everything. these teams would be based in the US...WE GET IT. Bayer Sanjosen is about as dumb as it gets and it still sounds better.