Language barriers overseas?

Discussion in 'Peru' started by BorrachoNJ, Dec 27, 2005.

1. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    Aside from our players plying their trade in Latin American leagues, how tough did those in Europe have it at adjustments?
    Colombia's Viafara is somewhat in the doghouse with that nut Redknapp at Pompey...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/4562908.stm

I know Foquita's having a bit of adjusting to do in Holland and now with rumors of Aguirre going there and whatnot, I figured it'd be a good topic of conversation for not only the Peruvian players but all of Latin Americans out there who don't speak English, German, etc...?
    I left out Italy and Spain for the obvious reasons of smooth transitions in terms of language....

Hablen.

2. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    Well I know at Bayern the 4 forwards are Pizarro, Roque, Guerrero and Makay.

Makay has learned spanish, and so at anygiven time, the front line is communicating in spanish. I know Magath can also speak it. So its not a big problem for them.

I was thinking how La Foquita is communicating. I think PSV has him in English and Dutch classes. This why La Foquita is going to be the best, the Dutch mentality is to prepare you off and on the field.

3. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    Yea, but my question is if pizza fluent in german or does he just get by?

that's great that the strikers can all communicate in spanish, but does pizarro have trouble with management, his coaches, everday life?

and remember, pizza went to bremen from alianza. how tough was it? and did those german-classes (if he took them) pay off?

4. PERU CAMPEON !!

PERU CAMPEON !! Arriba Peru !!

Universitario de deportes
    Peru
    May 9, 2005
    MONUMENTAL
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

5. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    I'm pretty sure he can speak German relatively well. Because of three reasons.

1. When he got in that fight in the club after winning the Bundisliga. He was with Kahn and other Germans, I'm sure they had to speak german off the field.

2. When he got that DUI, he had to talk to the cop in German.

3. He, Makay and Kahn just promoted the Bayern Munich cookbook, and on Galavision, I heard him talk in German. I dont know how bad or how good it was. (As a matter of fact, he was talking to Makay in spanish, and Makay answered back to him in spanish, so Pizarro probably does feel more comfortable in spanish)

4. His children were born in Germany, so he has to communicate with the staff in German.

6. Guti™

Guti™ Moderator

Mar 6, 2005
    La Victoria
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Playing in the EPL can be a bitch for non-English speaking players, just ask Hernan Crespo.

7. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    now that i recall, solanito's english is good but not great.

i saw him in an interview recently and he was basically useless in answering the reporters' questions...

veron didn't know shyte, borgetti's suffering, the ecuadorian dude on aston villa was lost...

i guess the list can go on and on, huh?

8. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    I was really surprised on how bad Borghetti's english is. They had a camara crew follow him on a typical day. And he has english tutorials everyday. That guy was barely saying lines like "its a cat" "its a hat".

9. ROMERO879

ROMERO879 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    lol, make him suffer.

For Farfan, Hiddink speaks spanish, and Farfan understands dutch, don't know if he can speak it, and his social life must not be bad, he probably hangs around the brazilians.

10. Peruco83

Peruco83 Member+

May 8, 2005
    Hamden, CT
    I love German, I try to learn a little bit of different languages to get by and this guy at the office has me hooked on German, everything you say just sounds dirty :D Essen Sie meine Scheiße

11. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I thought all the clubs provide the Language courses at the training camps? I would think its part of the deal for overseas players. Now if the player is too dumb too learn, oh well ;)

12. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Solano has lived on England for years and years now, and I don;t think he knows any.

It was funny on that "Nobby Forever" compilation video,During the first seconds, he is being interviewed with Alan Shearer... he sounded so funny... :p

13. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I didnt think Nobby would sound that good :D

14. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I heard Crespo do a couple post match interviews and his English is really great which surprised me, It' good to see he's made an effort to learn the language, as Solano has too.

Unfortunately the other South American we had (at my team Newcastle) - Tino Asprilla didn't make any effort to learn the language even though he was here for 2 years + :rolleyes:

I think it has a correlation on how successful you are in the league (of course with the odd exceptions)

ie: Crespo, Solano, Juninho, Juan Pablo Angel (to an extent) all made a good effort to speak English,and are more respected for that, have did well in the EPL

the likes of Emerson, Kleberson, Veron didn't make any effort and were sh!t

15. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Makes sense.

If you do well, you're probably going to stay in the country longer so you'd be better served learning the language.

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    For the record...

People with yellow cards and who just got a red card should not make nazi jokes and Mexican jokes.

Please continue with the thread and do not reply to this post.

17. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I had mentioned mentioned a few weeks back after looking at some player profiles, I don't think Nobby or Pizza finished high school. That does not mean they are dumb, but may have put football before school and now it is hard for them. Who knows.

18. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Hell, some of these cats can barely speak Spanish either. Some messed up pronunciations.

19. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    I just went to my first pollada. asu mare.. try and understand what drunk peruanos are trying to say.

20. Crop Circles Maria

Aug 1, 2005
    Valencia, California
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Mendoza!!