Language barrier

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Ticallista, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    just wondering.

do schools in korea and china teach english as a subject?

if not, wouldn't it be better so players that go abroad can speak at least some english? that would surely help them settle in.

same goes with japan.

2. nw

nw Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Huh? Not everyone in the world speaks English, German would be more useful if one wants to play in Germany, for example.

And yes, English as well as other foreign languages are taught in schools, but unless one has the opportunity to use it daily, retention won't be good.

3. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    for Korea, the players don't participate in those foreign language classes. That's the real problem. In Korea, athletes are sort of exempt from being "educated."

I still remember the baseball players in my middle school. They were technically students of the school, but they all skipped the classes and the teachers didn't care.

4. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    English is requirement subject since jr high school in Korea, but they emphasis on english grammar and writings than hearing and speaking.
    so they can write and read english but cant even say a simple sentense.

If you hear them saying "I want to go to bathroom" it sounds like "eye want two goat-too bass room"

5. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    It is about the same here in Taiwan. Students tend to write reasonably well and can respond well to questions that they have studied. However, if you try variations on that, they tend not to do so well. Pronounciation is also sometimes a problem, though I work on that with my students.

6. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Re: Re: Language barrier

Same in China, athletes don't get much education.

7. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    In Japan the Ministry of Education has been working on this issue, but things aren't improving. It's all up to individuals' efforts after leaving school despite at least six years of English education. There must be a more efficient way of learning.

I admire anyone who can speak more than two languages fluently.

8. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    About the same in China, if you ask them to write some essays, they might do a good job. But it's quite difficult for them to have a conversation with foreigners.

9. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    i still say best way to learn the language in a non-speaking country is to watch lots of english-speaking tv programs.

10. Ticallista

Ticallista Member

Jul 5, 2002
    without subtitles