Landon not included in World Cup qualifying roster(per SI)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mestes

Mestes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, have it your way. If I were the manager I would pick the one who was there at a critical moment, all other factors being equal.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Amazing how Zidane wasn't accused of 'abandoning' his team. It is remarkable that France was able to find a spot for him.

deuteronomy, Adiaga Two and Berks repped this.
  3. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please pay attention,Teddy. No one was talking about Zidane.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He 'abandoned' his team.

5. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the best ya got?

Really funny.

Pay attention: I amended my contention so your fragile sense of justice wouldn't be offended.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The articles saying "there are several players ahead of him blah blah blah" - just look back in this thread.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All other factors are not equal here. By a longshot.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Ignore list, here I come.

8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Form and skill set are not the same. Klinsmann never said (or suggested IMO) that skill set is what is keeping Landon behind others on the depth chart at the moment. He implied it's form (fitness/ rythym) and chemistry. Of course I still think that's BS.

WrmBrnr, orcrist and tab5g repped this.
  9. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    I find it admirable that you changed the context of your statement. It doesn't serve your cause when you follow it by telling Cleansheetbc that he has a "fragile sense of justice".
    I'd have more respect for a post along the following lines: IMHO Graham Zusi is the next up and coming winger for the national team, and if it were up to me, I'd play him ahead of anyone we have in the system right now.
    That way, you get to express your opinion and open the statement to possible debate, without speculations, innuendos or false information which floats around the web.
    And I happen to disagree with your choice. :)

StillKickin, Berks and Mestes repped this.
  10. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to stay calm and not let your emotions get the best of you. Martin, a fine long time poster, contended, I thought, that LD and Zusi were both, at this moment, in about the same form. And I, in a snarky manner asked who he would pick, given the same form. The poster Iplaksina cried foul over the emotion churning verb "abandoned," so I amended the statement, in deference to Iplaksina's apparent sensitivity to the LD issue. No one thinks Iplaksina should be unbiased in this discussion.

If you think my behavior is reprehensible, so be it. If you are simply holding your hands over your ears, so be it. If your role in life is to act as a public relations representative of LD, so be it.

11. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that the reason Berks is annoyed with you and (probably) now ignoring you is because you quickly reverted to personal attacks rather than substatntive argument. I do appreciate your reasoned response to lplaksina, though.

deuteronomy and Berks repped this.
  12. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Landon will be called up in September. Hes the best oprion at that position

13. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What, she asked you to reply on her behalf? I've seen your relationship on this board before, you're not fooling me. In fact, you are embarrassing yourself.

What were the personal attacks? Please be explicit.

14. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Uh, Ghosting? Where are the personal attacks? I will apologize if you will be honest.

15. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the demonstration. Rather than address my point, you attack me as having a personal relationship with Berks.

Here are the two posts she was responding to:
    Instead of addressing the content of cleansheetbsc's posts, you insult him by claiming he's not paying attention.

Berks repped this.
  16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see Fabian Johnson, Dempsey, Donovan in the same lineup, with Jozy up top.

Berks and orcrist repped this.
  17. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where you get to "skillset" from "there are several players ahead of him". I don't need to look back in the thread to remember my arguments countering exactly that interpretation of the his quotes.

It's amazing how such simple and straight-forward statements from Klinsmann have been analyzed and picked apart to death when there is absolutely nothing strange, obscure, underhanded, or incomprehensible about what he meant.

ebbro, for example, clearly disagrees with the conclusion, but he at least understands what was said. As do many of those who, like you, completely disagreed with the decision.

I now lean toward: The decision was correct. The team needs to find itself without Donovan, because soon enough, they *will* find themselves without Donovan. It is about the team psychology, first and foremost. But that is not a "non soccer" element as many have said. That is the "chemistry" that Klinsmann talked about.

The team had to be stop "Waiting for Godot". This particular non call-up served that goal. Look at the case of Altidore and Dempsey. The lack of chemistry between JA and CD has been arguably one of the core factors in our scoring drought when Donovan has not been there or where he was "sup-par" (relatively speaking)

Now, something seems to have clicked against Germany for them. I am not just talking about the goals. I finally saw some understanding on the field between them, and really JA with the whole midfield. Some have talked about linkage, but I'm not sure if cause and effect are not being mixed up here.

The fact is, in earlier games, I saw many portions of play where the midfield and attack were close together, but still not connecting on passes. Jozy passed left, and Dempsey ran right. Or Jozy completed a pass to the feet of another midfielder which left him flat-footed because it was against his direction of run, etc. This seems to be improving now, with the exception of Belgium which I'm putting down to Jozy's flu.

Given the uncertain future of Donovan as emphasized, first by his sabbatical, then by his speculative statements about how long he will still be playing, it is critical that the team learn to function without him. Then, having him or not having him hopefully becomes simple addition addition or subtraction, rather than a gutting of our attack.

Well, that's my $1.98 on the subject. The points in WCQ will likely add fuel to the fire. I will say if we fail to get at least 5 I will definitely eat crow and consider the decision BAD. 7 points, and I think the decision can be considered at least partially vindicated. 9 points, and, well...

Edit: Ugh. Did some heavy editing and still ended up rambling :(

um_chili repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's comparative to the other players that I have the problem with. But we talked about this earlier in the thread. I think he could have approached this much simpler than he did rather than saying there were others "ahead" of LD. Which we all know is BS.

19. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    You obviously don't get it sir.
    And I am biased. And the reason that I'm biased is this.
    These guys all play soccer for a living. They are not finding a cure for cancer, or protecting some 3rd world country from being exploited, they are ENTERTAINERS.
    And I think it's immature and childish for us to pass judgement on them for trying to ENTERTAIN us.
    If you don't like the show, request a refund, leave the theatre and find another venue to spend your dollars.
    Who's a better actor, Tom Hanks or Clint Eastwood ? Doesn't matter, enjoy the show.

TroyandAbed repped this.
  20. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excuse me? I like the show obviously. Who are you talking to, and why are so upset? The USMNT is looking good, and maybe even improving. I would think that to be a GOOD thing.

21. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find passing judgement entertaining ;)
    I like to find Internet forums where I can pass judgement together with other people.

The first step is admitting you have a problem :D

exref and Ghosting repped this.
  22. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We don't "all" know that, in spite of what PR people try to tell us.

23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No issue with ebbro's post or yours. Happy to debate without someone going into the territory of abandoning/lame/etc.

Here's the crux of my issue: why does the team need to "find itself without Donovan"? How is he possibly a problem towards that? So you have a player that has nearly 50/50, and he's a problem to include in the team? I don't get that at all.

The best scenario here is if the people who can contribute the most are included in the team.

5 points, 7 points, 9 points doesn't matter. So let's say we get all 9 points. But our left side still isn't enough to snuff. Or the bench isn't up to snuff. Don't you want this player to be able to assist you rather than relying on some code that says the team needs to perform without LD?

And saying LD is the cause of Jozy and Clint not finding one another is misplaced. Again, ideally you use all of your best players. So Landon's been holding Clint and Jozy back? Huh? Won't the service be the best if Jozy is receiving service from BOTH.

Wouldn't it be the best scenario if ALL those players are contributing? I don't see that JK is building the team around LD. So why are we all reacting like he is?

Landon has said over and over and over again how he wants to be a part of the Gold Cup to be a part of the national team. If you are going to say don't pick Jurgen's comments apart, then you don't pick LD's part.

He wants to be there. He can help the team.

There is no "Waiting for Godot." The team operates without him, and when he comes back, he's incremental to it.

If 9 points happens, I still want LD there. Because regardless of how many points we earn, he is still one of our best 23.

Why is it if we get 9 points it "proves" we don't need him? Or there's "vindication." Here's a thought - bring your best 23 and win by even more goals and get even more offensive options to get through qualifying. What's to say we wouldn't have looked EVEN BETTER?

I would have loved to see Landon off the bench instead of Brad Davis yesterday. We had a great win, a great result, and our left midfielder could have been better in the 2nd half. Even with the win. We could have been better.

He's not there, you learn. He is there, you include. Why are we taking away someone additive?

deuteronomy, ebbro and StillKickin repped this.
  24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we internet canoodling? ;)

25. Mestes

Apr 1, 2004
    Kennesaw
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might want to check that out on Wiki before you use it the next time.